advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
“ Hunters kill 20 Yellowstone wolves that roamed out of park “
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 07, 2022 12:44PM
‘ Twenty of Yellowstone National Park's renowned gray wolves roamed from the park and were shot by hunters in recent months — the most killed by hunting in a single season since the predators were reintroduced to the region more than 25 years ago, according to park officials.

Fifteen wolves were shot after roaming across the park's northern border into Montana, according to figures released to The Associated Press. Five more died in Idaho and Wyoming.

Park officials said in a statement to AP that the deaths mark “a significant setback for the species’ long-term viability and for wolf research."

One pack — the Phantom Lake Pack — is now considered “eliminated” after most or all of its members were killed over a two-month span beginning in October, according to the park.

An estimated 94 wolves remain in Yellowstone. But with months to go in Montana's hunting season —- and wolf trapping season just getting underway — park officials said they expect more wolves to die after roaming from Yellowstone, where hunting is prohibited.

Park Superintendent Cam Sholly first raised concerns last September about wolves dying near the park border. He recently urged Republican Montana Gov. Greg Gianforte to shut down hunting and trapping in the area for the remainder of the season.

Sholly cited “the extraordinary number of Yellowstone wolves already killed this hunting season," in a Dec. 16 letter to Gianforte released to AP under a freedom of information request.

Gianforte, an avid hunter and trapper, did not directly address the request to halt hunting in a Wednesday letter responding to Sholly.

“Once a wolf exits the park and enters lands in the State of Montana it may be harvested pursuant to regulations established by the (state wildlife) Commission under Montana law,” Gianforte wrote.

Gianforte last year received a warning from a Montana game warden after trapping and shooting a radio-collared wolf about 10 miles (16 kilometers) north of the park without taking a state-mandated trapper education course.

In his response to Sholly, the governor said Montana protects against overhunting through rules adopted by the wildlife commission, which can review hunting seasons if harvest levels top a certain threshold.

For southwestern Montana, including areas bordering the park, that threshold is 82 wolves. Sixty-four have been killed in that region to date this season, out of 150 wolves killed statewide, according to Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

The most recent wolf killing along the Montana-Yellowstone border happened on New Year's Day.

Wolf trapping in the area opened Dec. 21. Under new rules, Montana hunters can use bait such as meat to lure in wolves for killing and trappers can now use snares in addition to leghold traps. ‘

[www.sfgate.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: “ Hunters kill 20 Yellowstone wolves that roamed out of park “
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 07, 2022 12:54PM
I believe Montana’s statewide harvest limit for wolves for the entire state is, “all but one.” More or less the same as in Wyoming and Idaho. I love those leg-hold and snare traps. Set your camera up to record the animals as they chew off their own leg. Great sport.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 07, 2022 01:08PM
I was not aware of great throngs of grazing livestock that needed protected two yards from the Yellowstone park border.

Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: January 07, 2022 01:57PM
Acer
I was not aware of great throngs of grazing livestock that needed protected two yards from the Yellowstone park border.

I was in Yellowstone a year ago. We were lucky enough to see 23 Wolves.
The packs are very healthy and are great predators. It has helped balance the Bison heards.

At the north entrance to the park, there is livestock within a mile or so, and it parallels their area within the park.

I am not landing on either side of this issue, I don't have enough info.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 07, 2022 01:59PM
I'd like to put Greg Gianforte in a leg trap just north of the park. Then leave him. Pound of bacon around his neck. This time of year would work too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2022 01:59PM by Lemon Drop.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 07, 2022 02:16PM
Ken Sp.

You'll be waiting for a while to hear justification.

Posted by: chopper
Date: January 07, 2022 03:05PM
The only way this could get better is if the hunters were on motorcycles.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: January 07, 2022 03:28PM
or if they were in helicopters.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 07, 2022 05:24PM
I've never been a fan of sport or trophy hunting, and suspect this is just that, and not a matter of culling predators of someone's livestock.

I have no problem with the latter, wolves gonna be wolves notwithstanding, as long is it's the rule of law.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 07, 2022 07:39PM
Ken Sp.
Acer

I was in Yellowstone a year ago. We were lucky enough to see 23 Wolves.
The packs are very healthy and are great predators. It has helped balance the Bison heards.

At the north entrance to the park, there is livestock within a mile or so, and it parallels their area within the park.

Yellowstone wolf reintroduction has had a huge effect on elk herds, which was one of the main objectives; less of an effect on bison.

[www.yellowstonepark.com]

Winter in Yellowstone is not great habitat for elk (or bison, for that matter) and most migrate out of the park to the better winter range that surrounds much of the park. Wolves tend to follow the herds out this time of the year.
In many of those areas, development has taken over the prime winter habitat. Public lands grazing is restricted around Yellowstone in winter for the same reasons; most livestock winter somewhere else.

Traditionally, wilderness preservation efforts have centered on protecting what are sometimes called “Rock and Ice Wilderness”; areas of spectacular beauty, but of limited use for wildlife habitat.

This is resulting in islands of safe havens for wildlife that are increasingly being isolated from each other.

Populations of many species are being harmed by the resulting lack of genetic exchange, and already some are in need of supplemental introductions to keep them healthy.

This affects wolves, grizzlies, elk, caribou, wolverines, and other species.
Yellowstone’s wildlife cannot survive without access to the public lands surrounding the park.

Preserving existing corridors that link these major pockets of wild lands is a major goal of wilderness advocates; if it isn’t done soon, it probably won’t be achievable.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 08, 2022 10:22AM
My kid taught the coyote pack at a friend's farm to stay on their side of the creek and away from the livestock via setting up in the barn loft with his rifle over the course of only a few nights.

Seems like the wolves would learn the same lesson.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 08, 2022 04:37PM
Bill in NC
My kid taught the coyote pack at a friend's farm to stay on their side of the creek and away from the livestock via setting up in the barn loft with his rifle over the course of only a few nights.

Seems like the wolves would learn the same lesson.

Shotgun blasts at night in the direction of coyotes works too. Haven't heard that pack in a long time. My wife has seen a few single coyotes this past year. There's too many of them around and we're taking their stomping grounds anyway very quickly. Son has 85 acres at the main farm with quite a few of deer.

Grateful11
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 08, 2022 08:43PM
Seems like there's a bunch of "Wall" material just sitting in the Southwest. Couldn't it be used for a more humane purpose up north?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 09, 2022 09:51AM
bfd
Seems like there's a bunch of "Wall" material just sitting in the Southwest. Couldn't it be used for a more humane purpose up north?

The hunters would find their way around any wall.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 09, 2022 11:31AM
We're at a place in wolf human relations where human society has decided we want wild wolves in the lower 48, and we are working out the details.

For thousands of years tribal peoples respected and lived peacefully alongside the continent's dominant carnivores. Then white colonists showed up with superstition and contempt for wolves, and began a perverse 300 year campaign to destroy them. By the 1970s only a fee wild pairs remained in the US, and conservation efforts kicked in.

After the Yellowstone experiment made it clear that this apex predator has a crucial role in sustaining the ecosystem, attitudes changed. Wild wolves are now found in 13 states.

A study published on 2014 by Washington State U. showed that wolf killing programs in ranching areas actually increased predation on livestock. Killing 100% of them is the only way to end livestock predation, though the biggest culprits by far are domestic dogs, coyotes and bears.

And we as a society do not want them all dead. Non-lethal control is doable.

No hunter should be allowed to kill a single wolf in my opinion. These are highly intelligent social creatures who play a vital role in the ecosystem and deserve to live, free of torture.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2022 11:32AM by Lemon Drop.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020