The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
and you thought Apple's headphones were pricey
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 07, 2022 10:16PM
Mark Levinson (brand *): $1000

[www.marklevinson.com]

No, it's not that they're twice the price of Apple's. That extra $500 or $520 misses the point. I come from a hobby where 4 and 5-figured prices are not "crazy" necessarily. Weird? Show me your vacation home, fancy arms collection, vintage cars (or new cars!), wine collection, or whatever it is that trips your personal trigger. And then we'll talk.

I got my own financial demons, but luckily my daughter found my '63 Bulova Sea King "C" the other day. It's not worth much, except to me, right?? PERSPECTIVE matters. [mybulova.com] <-- sorry but that's a kick-ass watch on so many levels. Unsellable today. Don't get me started.

The wireless ML is not "expensive" for better headphones -- overall -- but is objectively insane for Bluetooth headphones. Why? Because the source they will be fed is trash. As in, so compromised that you need a clear checklist of your system's chain to ensure things as basic as filetype and transmission protocol are aligned. That deletes Bluetooth's attractiveness of just, "pair it and play."

Can you transmit via aptX, or LDAC, or AAC? Great, you'll still get a lossy signal where 80+ % of the file is tossed. Remember when CDs were a standard? Ever since the mp3, such downloads or streams are considered "special." Sources capable of true hi-res such as LPs remain "Kool-aid." I'm over it. OVER IT.

* fun fact: Levinson was briefly married to Lassie Honeywell. But it's odd to "talk" about Levinson; he hasn't been involved with audio bearing his name since the early '80s.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: and you thought Apple's headphones were pricey
Posted by: Bixby
Date: January 08, 2022 04:54PM
Re: and you thought Apple's headphones were pricey
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 09, 2022 01:27PM
Bixby
$59k and they're not even wireless!

I like the marble base, but then they have to add some bs about preventing "structure-borne noise." Oy. Just say it looks great, and wood is just too pedestrian.

Hurts like a bastid...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 219
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020