advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Weird; getting frequent popup dialog box and malware folder showing up in the trash
Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 08, 2022 09:37AM
The popup that comes up is: "You are attempting to connect to the server "xxx". Click Connect to continue", where xxx is the machine name.

And in the trash, I keep seeing folders getting created with the name: "malware-infections-x.xx.xx" where the x's are the times when the folders are generated. These folders all appear to be empty.

Anybody seen this before, and know what's going on? (It would seem to be a malware infection, but MalwareBytes doesn't detect anything.)

Googling for this, all I've been able to find was this post, which wasn't very informative: [discussions.apple.com]

TiA

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Weird; getting frequent popup dialog box and malware folder showing up in the trash
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 08, 2022 12:03PM
Check out Activity Monitor and System Logs.
Re: Weird; getting frequent popup dialog box and malware folder showing up in the trash
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 08, 2022 12:07PM
Is this the laptop with Exchange installed?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 08, 2022 01:20PM
Two separate issues.

Recent versions of the macOS will prompt you to verify that you want to connect to a server when you connect via various methods including the "Connect to server" window and alias files linking to the server. Sometimes when this catches people by surprise, they've got some app that they were running that opened/saved a file on a server when they had a connection open in the past and the app is trying to reconnect to re-open that file.

The "malware-infections" folder thing... Got me on that one. I don't know what app makes that. Have you got antivirus software installed from the school?

Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 08, 2022 07:38PM
Tiangou
Two separate issues.

Recent versions of the macOS will prompt you to verify that you want to connect to a server when you connect via various methods including the "Connect to server" window and alias files linking to the server. Sometimes when this catches people by surprise, they've got some app that they were running that opened/saved a file on a server when they had a connection open in the past and the app is trying to reconnect to re-open that file.

The "malware-infections" folder thing... Got me on that one. I don't know what app makes that. Have you got antivirus software installed from the school?

Nope, this is a personal machine. Obviously I have some anti-virus software installed, but not sure which one is causing the folders to appear. This being a personal machine, it didn't have the Exchange thing installed on it.

And the "Connect to server" window, yes, I was trying to do file copies, so that could be the reason.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 93
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020