advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Scammers are out in force today
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 09, 2022 10:38AM
Eight phone calls so far today - one about my grandson being in jail (I don't have a grandson that I know of) and the rest are Amazon needing my account info to confirm my purchases.

I'm getting tired of hanging up the phone

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Scammers are out in force today
Posted by: raz
Date: January 09, 2022 10:41AM
We got four “name unavailable “ in short order during dinner last night. Annoying, but we never answer unless the caller ID is known

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: apocketfulofwry
Date: January 09, 2022 10:52AM
Apparently, I have an important document at the Chinese Embassy.

Pressing '9', now…
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 09, 2022 10:54AM
My husband got one of the Amazon calls yesterday. He asked me if I had bought a new “Apple phone” smiling smiley for $798 from Amazon. I told him no, and it was a scam. Lol

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: January 09, 2022 11:20AM
I feel so deprived - the only ones I get are regarding my "soon to expire extended car warranty"
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 09, 2022 11:31AM
SDGuy
I feel so deprived - the only ones I get are regarding my "soon to expire extended car warranty"

Have you ever asked them for a quote for your Model A?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 09, 2022 11:50AM
Only one this week, I feel lucky.

I usually get the vacation or the car warranty calls. Very few in the last nine months have been from my area code, a big change from the previous five years.

For the car warranty, tell them you have a 2007 R63 AMG. Those things are like $50,000 for an engine rebuild, and nearly ALL of them will need one.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: January 09, 2022 11:55AM
“Most” of my spam calls hang up rather than leave a message - which is almost as annoying since I get up to check the number anyway.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 09, 2022 01:08PM
I answer unknown calls in German. If it’s a work call, I apologize in English and we continue. If it’s a spammer they become audibly confused or I get the robot. Confused scammers get “go to hell” in Hindi. I need to learn some other language’s cuss words.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 09, 2022 01:36PM
I got a good one last week, call from "Georgia Power" saying they were going to cut me off if I didn't pay the last bill in the next 15 minutes.

One problem: this county isn't on the Georgia Power grid...
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 09, 2022 02:36PM
Will Collier
I got a good one last week, call from "Georgia Power" saying they were going to cut me off if I didn't pay the last bill in the next 15 minutes.

One problem: this county isn't on the Georgia Power grid...

I had a few of those last time I was at my parents in NYC from "ConEdison" which is their power company.

But first the back story. ConEd had sent notices starting last Feb about replacing existing meters with Smart Meters. Starting in May I tried to get them to do it. They eventally upgraded the gas meter, but when they tried replacing the electric meter they found that a special model meter was needed and it was out of stock and back ordered. I made lots of calls at each deadline when the said that they expected new stock, but it dragged on due to supply chain issues.

So, when I got a call saying that they were going to send someone to turn off my power in 15 minutes I totally confused the guy on the other end when I sounded very excited and said "That great, I've been trying to get someone here for months.", "Thank you so much, I'll be waiting".

Three days later I got another call and my mother initially picked up, but then I got on, again confused the guy saying "You said you were sending someone right over three days ago and they never showed up, please send someone right away". Now this guy starting getting pissed at me and started cursing at me and telling me about various sex acts he was going to perform with "my wife". I kept trying to interrupt him and tell him "that wasn't my wife, that was my 92 year old mother". He eventually heard that, got kind of quiet and said "I'm sorry" and hung up.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 09, 2022 06:56PM
I forward all my spam calls to GGD.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: rz
Date: January 09, 2022 06:57PM
Lizabeth
“Most” of my spam calls hang up rather than leave a message - which is almost as annoying since I get up to check the number anyway.

You need a talking caller id phone. I'd get something other than Panasonic though, unless they've upgraded their text-to-speech interface. Ours can't pronounce many common names or places properly.

I get almost no spam calls on my iPhone, and very few on my Ooma VOIP line. I'm thinking the main reason is that I rarely give out my cell number to anyone. We probably get about a dozen calls a week on the Ooma. We don't answer if we don't recognize the caller, and most scammers won't leave a message. We do get a lot of 3 seconds of dead air where I guess their robot waits for the beep then waits 3 seconds to see if anyone picks up.
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 09, 2022 07:45PM
When I had an ATT land line most of our incoming calls were either car insurance or police summer camps for kids who would not otherwise get to go to camp. Getting a few extended warranty calls now on my iPhone. My cars are 2007 and 2009, maybe I should see what they want to offer, although I do like the Model A option.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020