advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any good sources for home COVID TESTS?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 09, 2022 09:03PM
I want to have some on hand, especially since I can’t avoid transit right now. Any particular sources you folks like? Brands of tests? I think there are ways to get them here for free, but not easily or conveniently for most of us.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any good sources for home COVID TESTS?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 09, 2022 11:52PM
I posted last week sbout the folks at Wyze.com sourcing the iHealth tests but they are no longer listed in the Wyze app store. check online though.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Pat
Date: January 09, 2022 11:55PM
Here in San Bernardino County, CA, you just walk up at one of the test sites and ask for one. There's no appointments available, but so far no shortage of self tests. We have some of the Binax(?) home tests that we got last fall, simple to use if you can find them.
Posted by: cyclemax
Date: January 09, 2022 11:56PM
Amazon has the iHealth tests for a decent price. 2 week shipping date.

Amazon
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 10, 2022 12:14AM
Pat
Here in San Bernardino County, CA, you just walk up at one of the test sites and ask for one. There's no appointments available, but so far no shortage of self tests. We have some of the Binax(?) home tests that we got last fall, simple to use if you can find them.

i only recently realized those tests expire. check the dates on your tests. mine expire in May and june.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: January 10, 2022 05:45AM
Our Walgreens got a ton of them in - 3 different brands. I was there for something else and picked up a couple.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: January 10, 2022 05:54AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check next time I’m at Walgreen’s. Meanwhile, I have ordered some from Amazon.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 10, 2022 07:08AM
Hard hit areas run out of them fast. I will also note that the price for the tests jumped up rather significantly. Due to the expiration of a pricing agreement negotiated by the government.

Stay safe out there boys and girls. Get vaccinated and boosted. And remember... a vaccine helps your immune system. It's not magic armor. You may still get it. But being vaccinated will help you recover.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 10, 2022 08:06AM
Walgreens seems to have more stock than most.

Even so, I had to hit 6 stores before I found a couple of test kits last month.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 10, 2022 08:10AM
Several states offer tests through this site supplies are limited though. WA is out for example.

[sayyescovidhometest.org]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: rz
Date: January 10, 2022 08:11AM
We bought a ton before Xmas. We were driving through lightly populated parts of NC and VA, and stopped at two different places. One had a limit of 2 per person. The other had a ton, and no limits. Now, back home, they're very hard to find. But there's an urgent care clinic nearby that does the test for free. They open at 8:30. If you get in line by about 8:00, there's only about 30-40 people there. They hand out a form, you fill it out and hand it back. Then you go home and they call you when they're ready. Last week, it took about 3 hours before they called me. I just went again this morning and am waiting for my call.

I got vaxxed last spring and got my booster the week before Xmas. And I still managed to get it. But I had very minor symptoms... stuffy nose for a couple of days and scratchy throat. In pre-covid days, I probably would have still gone into work because it was so minor. Amazingly, my wife and son don't seem to have caught it from me. It's been a week since I first tested positive, and they are both still testing negative. I haven't had any symptoms since Saturday and am hoping today's test will be negative so I can stop wearing a mask in my own house.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 10, 2022 08:23AM
I'm not confident in the efficacy of rapid tests for Omicron.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 10, 2022 09:53AM
Lux Interior
I'm not confident in the efficacy of rapid tests for Omicron.

It seems that they have problems detecting Omicron up-to-and-including the onset of symptoms, but are still good at peak.

Which means that if you suspect that you have COVID and can't get a PCR test immediately, you'll need to test yourself for at least two days in a row to have any confidence that it is or is not COVID.

...Which is an interesting conundrum, given the scarcity of rapid antigen tests right now.

Posted by: Afterall
Date: January 10, 2022 10:47AM
Picked up 2 kits curbside at Walmart this past Saturday.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 10, 2022 12:33PM
cyclemax
Amazon has the iHealth tests for a decent price. 2 week shipping date.

Amazon

Given the 2+ week shipping time, it's cheaper and potentially just as fast to order direct: [ihealthlabs.com] $14/2-pack, limit 5, $12 shipping if ordering 5, don't know if shipping is less for less packs - shipping was $8 for 5 last time I ordered in November. There's still a delay in shipping from iHealth though.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: January 10, 2022 04:12PM
Our local libraries provide some for free, but you have to get there early before they run out.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 57
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020