advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Re: Car shopping. Painful.
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 11, 2022 07:21AM
I encourage your hatred of minivans, because that drives down the price on the used market where we buy ours.

I don’t think we will ever be without a minivan. We’re on our third Sienna and find them incredibly practical, comfortable, and well-appointed for family cruising and cargo schlepping. Haven’t driven the new hybrid Sienna yet and wouldn’t buy the first model year.

MAVIC’s set of constraints is so tight that it will constrain him out of any vehicle…leading to a necessary relaxation of some constraints…which means that the constraints aren’t actually meaningful! How about a nice used Bentley?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 11, 2022 07:38AM
Friends I was just visiting have a Ford Exp. I was very impressed. It's ICE. Very nice.

We did look at the RAV 4 PHEV. I's still a possible.

I dig Toys. I had a '70s Celica that was my 1st car, after my hippy f*k truck period.

!#$@@$#!

What if the hokey pokey really is what it’s all about?

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 11, 2022 08:15AM
You want space? This gives it to you, just be prepared to pitch a tent while traveling from the front to the back.

1953 Buick Roadmaster

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias

The German word for contraceptive is “Schwangerschaftsverhütungsmittel”. By the time you finished saying that, it’s too late
Date: January 11, 2022 08:36AM
gorgeous!

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 11, 2022 09:07AM
M A V I C
The Rivian R1S is nice, but the waiting list is a bit long

Mine is supposed to arrive in June.

Of 2023.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 11, 2022 09:50AM
With suggestions for monster vehicles like the Suburban, Yukon and Expedition, this thread appears to be going off the rails. I thought MAVIC was looking for nimble vehicles with a bit of extra luggage space, not gigantic schoolbuses.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: January 11, 2022 10:00AM

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 11, 2022 10:32AM
M A V I C
The other thing here is also that the Mrs is not exactly tall, so putting things in the bed will be a chore.

It's like everything you're saying is screaming minivan. smiling smiley Minivan will have a lower load height and be easier to get into. One thing that annoyed me about the CX-9 was the taller load height, and that's one of the smaller SUV's mentioned on this thread. For everyday items, it's totally fine, but when you have to load something heavy, ugh, lifting it those extra few inches can be annoying.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: January 11, 2022 11:14AM
Chiming in late: Toyota Highlander SUV does come in AWD. I gots one. The only problem is accessing the third row sea. I have three small kids, still in booster/child seats. Can't access third row unless 1: open the rear hatch and climb over seats to sit. Or 2: Take out child seats, tilt/move 2nd row forward for access, tilt back and reinstall seats. PITA.

I know the Mrs. says no to minivans, but I have been looking at the Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle trim. Its got all the bells and whistles. Has an HK 20 speaker sound system (important for me). 360 camera systems (pretty cool). Easy access to all parts of the van. AND! It can go roughly 30 miles on battery alone. BOOM! Winner for me. My daily driving is less than that. No one else can do that right now. The Toyota Sienna hybrid is smaller/lacking in space and less well appointed. Yes, it drives like a boat, but the one that I did drive had good pickup! Any big car is gonna handle like a boat. My Highlander drives like a boat. My Rx450h (bought used)? Wonderful.

Just my 2 cents.
Posted by: decay
Date: January 11, 2022 11:30AM
Spiff

I know the Mrs. says no to minivans, but I have been looking at the Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle trim. Its got all the bells and whistles. Has an HK 20 speaker sound system (important for me). 360 camera systems (pretty cool). Easy access to all parts of the van. AND! It can go roughly 30 miles on battery alone. BOOM! Winner for me. My daily driving is less than that. No one else can do that right now.

2022 Pacifica Pinnacle gas AWD $57,590

2022 hybrid is only FWD

---
Posted by: Spiff
Date: January 11, 2022 12:54PM
True. You lose the AWD in the hybrid setup. I don’t need it in the south, so it’s something I don’t pay much attention to.

Looking back at the original thread, looks like AWD is a must. Room for 2 growing kids and their stuff? 2nd row captain chairs? Dunno. Sounds like a minivan to me. And the ICE Pacifica has got what you want. mostly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2022 01:00PM by Spiff.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 11, 2022 04:50PM
jdc
No mazdas come close to his criteria.

I believe the 2022 Mazda CX-9 does meet all of the OP's criteria:

[www.caranddriver.com]

Mazda is also the top-rated manufacturer for reliability:

[www.autoblog.com]
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 11, 2022 04:57PM
Article Accelerator
jdc

M A V I C
- 45cf+ of cargo space behind the 2nd row

Gareth
[CX-9] Cargo Capacity: 14.4 / 38.2 / 71.2

Nope.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 11, 2022 05:46PM
decay
I know the Mrs. says no to minivans, but I have been looking at the Pacifica Hybrid Pinnacle trim.

Neighbor has a new hybrid sienna, ugly, IMHO, but everytime I see him he raves about how little gas it uses. Hes got 3 under 10. And coming from a tahoe, no surprise.

CX 9 third row must be newer, but no matter -- its teeny tiny.

Se sat in all of them before getting our XC 90. Both kids over 10 at the time, so less of a concern.
Pilot, sienna, odessey, highlander, mdx, sorrento, etc, etc.

But really wished we had a mini van before. struggled with a XC 70 and a couple of other meh cars.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: jawg
Date: January 11, 2022 07:24PM
Take a look at the Honda Pilot. Latest generation is out since 2016 when my wife bought one new. It is larger than Toyota Highlander as far as interior room. AWD and very versatile interior. Absolutely no problems over the five years since purchased. V-6 with more than adequate power and 20-24 mpg. Three row seating.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 11, 2022 07:45PM
Gareth
Gareth

Nope.

7 out of 8 ain't bad, Gareth.

And it looks like it comes close (is 38.2 the volume behind the second row?) in the last requirement…
Posted by: Bernie
Date: January 12, 2022 04:38AM
The Enclave has 23.6 cubic feet of space behind the third-row seats, 58 cubic feet behind the second row, and a total of 97.6 cubic feet behind the first row. Those are impressive numbers for the midsize SUV segment. A hands-free liftgate comes standard.
US News and World Report

Access to third row is among the best. I have spent some time back there. Strange, but not TRAPPED.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: davester
Date: January 12, 2022 10:08AM
tenders
MAVIC’s set of constraints is so tight that it will constrain him out of any vehicle…leading to a necessary relaxation of some constraints…which means that the constraints aren’t actually meaningful! How about a nice used Bentley?

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 12, 2022 04:59PM
mrbigstuff
If you were to get a truck, perhaps that would open up some camping options?

We do plan to camp more, and would like to have a camper of some sorts. It's lower down on the priority list though.

Sam3
How about the Ford Expedition?

Expedition might be a bit too big, but you reminded me about the Explorer. I should take a look at that.

tenders
I don’t think we will ever be without a minivan. We’re on our third Sienna and find them incredibly practical, comfortable, and well-appointed for family cruising and cargo schlepping. Haven’t driven the new hybrid Sienna yet and wouldn’t buy the first model year.

The other thing that bothered me about the Sienna, was the head unit. I've never had a car tell me I can't change the radio station while driving. Hopefully they've improved in the past few years. Do you have one of the higher end ones? We've only sat in lower end Sienna. There's about a foot difference in height between my wife and I, so finding a car that has seats and steering wheel adjustable enough for both of us has been a challenge.

Fritz
Friends I was just visiting have a Ford Exp. I was very impressed. It's ICE. Very nice.

We did look at the RAV 4 PHEV. I's still a possible.

I dig Toys. I had a '70s Celica that was my 1st car, after my hippy f*k truck period.

Yeah, I need to look at the Explorer. RAV 4 is a little small, and I hear it's currently going for well over MSRP as well.

Gareth
Article Accelerator
jdc

M A V I C
- 45cf+ of cargo space behind the 2nd row

Gareth

Nope.

Sadly, a 5cf increase in cargo space beyond what we have now is not enough for us to make the jump.

Bernie
The Enclave has 23.6 cubic feet of space behind the third-row seats, 58 cubic feet behind the second row, and a total of 97.6 cubic feet behind the first row. Those are impressive numbers for the midsize SUV segment. A hands-free liftgate comes standard.
US News and World Report

Access to third row is among the best. I have spent some time back there. Strange, but not TRAPPED.

When we rented, the kids loved the captains chairs. That's part of the reason they're on the list now. We also fit three adults, two kids and two bikes inside. It was a squeeze, but it worked.

davester
tenders

Same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

I'm not sure why you think it's that tight. I listed at least two vehicles that fit the bill, and others posted a couple others. There doesn't seem to be any need to relax the constraints.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 14, 2022 04:27PM
M A V I C

tenders

The other thing that bothered me about the Sienna, was the head unit. I've never had a car tell me I can't change the radio station while driving. Hopefully they've improved in the past few years. Do you have one of the higher end ones? We've only sat in lower end Sienna. There's about a foot difference in height between my wife and I, so finding a car that has seats and steering wheel adjustable enough for both of us has been a challenge.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the head unit! We've had one Sienna FWD LE '04, one FWD XLE '07, and our current AWD XLE '10, and changed stations, CDs, inputs, etc. at speed and with reckless abandon on all of them.

The one thing you CAN'T do unless the transmission is in "Park" is configure the Bluetooth (add phones, speed dial numbers, etc.). That's probably a good feature.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 14, 2022 06:20PM
tenders
M A V I C

tenders

I have no idea what you're talking about with the head unit! We've had one Sienna FWD LE '04, one FWD XLE '07, and our current AWD XLE '10, and changed stations, CDs, inputs, etc. at speed and with reckless abandon on all of them.

The one thing you CAN'T do unless the transmission is in "Park" is configure the Bluetooth (add phones, speed dial numbers, etc.). That's probably a good feature.

It was roughly a 2017 model. Maybe a little newer. I changed the station maybe 10 times while driving, and when I went to change it again, it said I couldn't do that while driving. I kept trying the same thing I had been, but it didn't work.

It's pretty common for cars to not let you connect bluetooth while driving, so I'm not surprised when I see that.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 246
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020