advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
car batteries: good news, bad news
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 10, 2022 07:49PM
On the one hand, my 15yr old now knows how to jump start a weak battery by herself. On the other hand, it's one of two car batteries I need to buy because it's the 2nd truck in the stable with a battery that's basically shot.

This car maintenance cost is harshing my hobbies. Grr.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: car batteries: good news, bad news
Posted by: chopper
Date: January 10, 2022 07:50PM
Wal Mart and don't think about it.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 10, 2022 07:53PM
deckeda
This car maintenance cost is harshing my hobbies. Grr.

You just gotta change your hobbies! Car maintenance is one of my hobbies, so problem solved! ;)
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 10, 2022 07:54PM
Bummer.

Im fully versed in jumper cable use... but Jumper cables scare me.

Bought my daughter one of the portable paperback size jumper batteries we talk about here, showed her how to use it -- thinking we are good. =)

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 10, 2022 08:17PM
Optima Yellowtop been very, very, good to me.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 10, 2022 08:29PM
Costco is a very good choice if you have a membership and one is close.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 10, 2022 08:56PM
Racer X
We switched from autozone to Costco after getting screwed with a crappy prorated warranty. It was to cost more on a prorated battery than just buying a new one at Costco.
Date: January 10, 2022 09:02PM
Yup. The Costco price is about 40% less than most places I have checked for a major manufacturer's decal.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 10, 2022 09:29PM
I keep totally dead batteries to use for my Costco trade ins.
Date: January 10, 2022 09:36PM
mrbigstuff

I've always got several floating around too.

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 10, 2022 09:38PM
I miss Sears and the old Die Hard batteries. Always good for 6 years. Now .. 3-4 years max. Ugh.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 10, 2022 09:45PM
cbelt3
I miss Sears and the old Die Hard batteries. Always good for 6 years. Now .. 3-4 years max. Ugh.

Just saved (scavenged) an 8 yr old Costco (Interstate) battery from my car, still holds a decent charge.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 10, 2022 09:55PM
I don’t know about Costco, but Walmart is way less than any parts store.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 11, 2022 06:23AM
Dennis S
Those DuraCells are not durable...
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 11, 2022 07:00AM
Racer X
mrbigstuff

I've always got several floating around too.

Mine are really heavy.

They would never float.

Well, that's not really true. I have nine AGM-31s on my boat. I guess they're floating. Technically.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2022 09:18AM by Lux Interior.
Posted by: Cary
Date: January 11, 2022 08:32AM
There are only a few manufacturers that build all the batteries for everyone - Johnson Controls, East Penn, Interstate... I may be missing one or 2.

The reason batteries don't last like they used to are 3-fold:
1. Batteries use thinner lead plates to save $$$
2. Cars have dozens of computers now, which sleep instead of shutting down. The batteries are constantly being used
3. The loads are much higher than in the past. Many more electrical systems than in oldercars.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 11, 2022 09:55AM
Cary
There are only a few manufacturers that build all the batteries for everyone - Johnson Controls, East Penn, Interstate... I may be missing one or 2.

2. Cars have dozens of computers now, which sleep instead of shutting down. The batteries are constantly being used
3. The loads are much higher than in the past. Many more electrical systems than in oldercars.

So will these issues become non-issues as we move into electric vehicles with much larger battery systems?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Date: January 11, 2022 11:07AM
Carm
Racer X
We switched from autozone to Costco after getting screwed with a crappy prorated warranty. It was to cost more on a prorated battery than just buying a new one at Costco.

If you stick to the higher end batteries (AGM), they usually have a full replacement warranty. I haven't paid for a replacement battery from PepBoys in quite a while now, because I keep getting the dead one replaced under warranty, and the replacement comes with a new warranty.

My issue with Costco is that they either don't stock the stock size for my vehicle, and I don't think they will sell me a different size that I know would work. And it's too difficult to find out online what batteries they carry by size, since you're forced to enter your car info first.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 11, 2022 11:17AM
Ombligo
So will these issues become non-issues as we move into electric vehicles with much larger battery systems?

Eventually but not right away.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 11, 2022 11:28AM
Gareth I’d be interested in a battery that lets you start over on the warranty when replaced. I’d never heard of that before.
Posted by: decay
Date: January 11, 2022 11:33AM
Dennis S

Last time I bought a battery for our van at Walmart, it didn't last over a year. It was a hassle getting it replaced under warranty, because I didn't save the receipt. Didn't think I had to, my mistake.

They had to keep the battery overnight, attempt a charge, and test it to get a 'failure' result. Then they didn't have any in stock.

I ended up driving to a different Walmart to make the exchange.

The money saved at Walmart is almost never worth the hassles & downsides of buying from Walmart.

---
Posted by: pqrst
Date: January 11, 2022 11:38AM
I've had good luck with costco and the AAA battery service. I've got a harbor freight air pump/battery combo.That combo is a life saver. And I've made a few people in parking lots with dead batteries (or flats), very happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2022 11:39AM by pqrst.
Date: January 11, 2022 12:11PM
deckeda
Gareth I’d be interested in a battery that lets you start over on the warranty when replaced. I’d never heard of that before.

PepBoys Champion AGM Battery

Although, now that I think of it, the batteries used to be Bosch AGM. On my last exchange, they swapped it for a Champion AGM because they no longer carry Bosch, and I haven't killed the Champion yet. So I haven't tested the Champion warranty yet.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 11, 2022 01:01PM
Ombligo

Pretty sure that EVs still have a traditional 12V lead acid battery that supplies the electronics, versus the higher voltage lithium battery that drives the motor(s).

It won't have the stress of starting an ICE, though.
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 11, 2022 02:03PM
“ Imagine Virginia’s icy traffic catastrophe — but with only electric vehicles “

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 11, 2022 02:18PM
Lux Interior
Ombligo

Pretty sure that EVs still have a traditional 12V lead acid battery that supplies the electronics, versus the higher voltage lithium battery that drives the motor(s).

It won't have the stress of starting an ICE, though.

The Volt, which does have an ICE generator, has a full size 12v battery. I don’t expect EV-only cars to require a full size battery but rather a much smaller 12v battery that is continually charged using an inverter. Our 2013 Volt still has its original 12v battery.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 11, 2022 02:41PM
You forgot HEAT Cary, but yeah, I was lucky if I got three years out of autozone batteries. AGM batteries on my Outlook did last a long time, but it was inside the cabin behind driver seat and insulated from heat/road.
Date: January 11, 2022 10:12PM
Ombligo
Cary

3. The loads are much higher than in the past. Many more electrical systems than in older cars.

No, because all current electric cars (to my knowledge) still use a 12v battery for running all the ancillary systems. The main battery pack is for propulsion.
Date: January 11, 2022 10:13PM
Carm
You forgot HEAT Cary, but yeah, I was lucky if I got three years out of autozone batteries. AGM batteries on my Outlook did last a long time, but it was inside the cabin behind driver seat and insulated from heat/road.

Heat is definitely an issue, especially if the battery is under the hood. Many cars have moved it out of the engine compartment, so in those, it's mitigated...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2022 10:52PM by Cary.
Date: January 12, 2022 12:04AM
Cary

#3 is taken care of by the 200 amp alternators. By way of comparison, my '72 Skylark without A/C shipped with a 37 amp alternator.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 140
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020