advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Man receives pig heart
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 10, 2022 07:57PM
A 57-year-old Maryland man is doing well three days after receiving a genetically modified pig heart in a first-of-its-kind transplant surgery, University of Maryland Medicine said in a news release Monday.

David Bennett had terminal heart disease, and the pig heart was "the only currently available option," according to the release. Bennett was deemed ineligible for a conventional heart transplant or an artificial heart pump after reviews of his medical records.

"It was either die or do this transplant. I want to live. I know it's a shot in the dark, but it's my last choice," Bennett said before the surgery, according to the release.
The US Food and Drug Administration granted emergency authorization for the surgery on December 31.

[www.cnn.com]

I'm sure PETA is having a cow

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Man receives pig heart
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 10, 2022 09:18PM
Reminds me somewhat of this story heard recently.

[www.wnycstudios.org]
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 10, 2022 09:23PM
Will it be considered cannibalism if he eats pork?

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: January 10, 2022 09:27PM
pRICE cUBE
Will it be considered cannibalism if he eats pork?

If you have the time to listen to that radio show link I posted above....
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 11, 2022 05:40AM
His quote reminds me of Barney Clark back in 1982 receiving the first artificial heart.

When, in a March 1 television interview, DeVries asked him what advice he might give to other potential artificial heart recipients, Clark said, "Well, I would tell them that it's worth it if the alternative is they either die or they have it done."

[www.washingtonpost.com]
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 11, 2022 07:02AM
I recall reading a story on how they resolved the retrovirus issues to make this kind of transplant possible. It will be promising if this works out.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 11, 2022 07:35AM
RadioLab did an episode about this. The genetic modification they made also makes the pig edible to people with a unique red meat allergy contracted from ticks.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: January 11, 2022 07:40AM
ztirffritz
RadioLab did an episode about this. The genetic modification they made also makes the pig edible to people with a unique red meat allergy contracted from ticks.

Link posted above
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: January 11, 2022 08:04AM
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 11, 2022 09:24AM
Gee this sounds like something they would have talked about on RadioLab... wink smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 11, 2022 02:09PM
pRICE cUBE
I recall reading a story on how they resolved the retrovirus issues to make this kind of transplant possible. It will be promising if this works out.

News to me, I’ll have to look that up. The retrovirus issue almost seemed insurmountable.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020