advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
my pet peeve I know I have no right to complain about
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 11, 2022 12:05PM
when a package is delivered and placed one step away from my front door. now I need to put on shoes to grab it! why couldn't it go right next to the door??

(this does not diminish my sincere appreciation to all delivery people)

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: my pet peeve I know I have no right to complain about
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 11, 2022 12:19PM
Because you can’t open the screen door ? (Which happens to me regularly). I just go outside barefoot. Even in snow. The peripheral circulation is strong in this one..
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 11, 2022 12:34PM
cbelt3
Because you can’t open the screen door ? (Which happens to me regularly). I just go outside barefoot. Even in snow. The peripheral circulation is strong in this one..

That is my peeve too. Actually had to go out the back door once.

Although I did have one very smart delivery person first open the screen door and then place the packages down before letting it close which worked perfectly!
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 11, 2022 12:38PM
Heh! I get that every so often. Usually its next to the door for an easy grab, but sometimes the package is next to the door but on the opposite side, which makes me step out around the storm door to snatch the prize.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 11, 2022 12:51PM
Sunday I had a package soaked in the rain on my step. If they'd just placed it two feet to the right, it would have been under the porch roof. And no longer in view from the street to boot. dunno smiley

Date: January 11, 2022 01:15PM
cbelt3

I will try this next time!
Posted by: samintx
Date: January 11, 2022 01:17PM
Amen. I get so mad when they do that to my deliveries.

cbelt3
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 11, 2022 01:26PM
Sometimes the package (Amazon, FedEx, or UPS) gets placed just off from the door, so it's not visible from the street. Sometimes, it's right at the edge of the porch in the dead center, like it's daring someone to take it. Sometimes, it's around the side of the house by the garage door.

Amazon is generally the wild card here. FedEx and UPS are almost always right by the door but Amazon; that could be almost anywhere on the property.

Posted by: hal
Date: January 11, 2022 01:30PM
this seems to be a thread complaining about how sometimes your package is 3 feet from your front door instead of 1 foot.

oh, the horror!

:-)
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 11, 2022 02:00PM
I switched the handle on my screen door to straight down after I saw this package issue.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 11, 2022 02:37PM
Or do what one local AMZ driver has made a habit of, deliver to the
wrong house blocks away.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: January 11, 2022 03:07PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I switched the handle on my screen door to straight down after I saw this package issue.

I call BS on this! A properly installed ADA compliant door handle will open the latching mechanism regardless of the direction that the handle is moved. All they had to do was lift the handle!

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Date: January 11, 2022 03:29PM
Harbourmaster
I call BS on this! A properly installed ADA compliant door handle will open the latching mechanism regardless of the direction that the handle is moved. All they had to do was lift the handle!

I agree with your assessment yet completely believe that the person inside might not have thought of lifting the handle.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 11, 2022 04:59PM
at least you get your packages. FedEx delivered O food to an unfriendly neighbor yesterday, in spite of the giant number on our house and none on theirs.
And no mail for 2 days. I suspect Omni is doing drivers in.

Normally, packages are left on the bricked walk here coz we have 3 steps down to the front door.
I'm fine with that and totally get it. It's a actually a lil easier to pick up from 3 steps up.
But if left within 6' of the front door, I'll just barefoot it, even in snow or cold as long as it's above 0º.
I'm only gonna be out there 30 secs.

!#$@@$#!

proofraed by OwEn the c@t.

Nobody remembers their first download, but everyone remembers their 1st LP.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2022 05:38PM by Fritz.
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 11, 2022 05:37PM
I leave a pair of slip on shoes by the front door.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: January 11, 2022 05:55PM
rgG

I'm not about to take advice on dealing with the cold from someone who lives in atlanta.
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 11, 2022 05:59PM
mattkime
rgG

I'm not about to take advice on dealing with the cold from someone who lives in atlanta.

Lol. Fair point. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: January 12, 2022 06:32AM
1. Packages are delivered right under an 8.5" X 11" sign that says in a huge font size "THIS DOOR NOT IN USE. PLEASE USE SIDE ENTRANCE."

2. Packages are delivered blocks away to a similar address.
Yesterday, UPS knocked on the door and asked if this was the right address. People at the other address must have complained about the frequency at which this happens.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: January 12, 2022 07:42AM
mattkime
when a package is delivered and placed one step away from my front door. now I need to put on shoes to grab it! why couldn't it go right next to the door??

(this does not diminish my sincere appreciation to all delivery people)

Believe it or not, “where to leave the delivery” is a fairly hot topic among couriers. It’s one of those simple(not so simple) question deals.*

(* An aside. For those of you who may have an image of couriers such as DoorDash and UberEats as lazy slackers, who can’t get a “real” job? True for some, sure. But most aren’t and there is a very healthy number of couriers out there — young bucks, retirees, single moms — out there crushing 10-14 hour days and bringing home upwards of $2K a week. No joke.)

A key idea to keep in mind is that couriers are generally working under the gun time wise, in one way or another, timed down to the minute.

Be it in each delivery or how long their route takes them in aggregate. That means that dithering over details/niceties of any one delivery is no bueno.

Think along the lines of anywhere from 50 to 100 deliveries in a three to four hour shift (this includes loading packages into your vehicle — often done by the couriers themselves — and driving from the hub to your delivery zone).

Other couriers are timed first from accepting the delivery assignment to arriving at the package receiving point, then a new clock starts from the receiving point to the final delivery address.

There is no one ‘right’ answer to physical location. Whatever you chose, someone might complain. Too near the door. Too far from the door. On the welcome mat/‘Not on the filthy ground (welcome mat). On the table by the door/‘My drink fell off the table, you idiot!’/etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

An example of ‘crystal clear (as mud if you’re a courier)’:
”1. Packages are delivered right under an 8.5" X 11" sign that says in a huge font size "THIS DOOR NOT IN USE. PLEASE USE SIDE ENTRANCE.”
  • Not in use as a point of normal ingress/egress?
  • Used only for receiving, but not regular ingress/egress, i.e. “entrance”?
  • Not in use whatsoever (Blocked off? Locked for security?)

A sign like that, particularly if no other door is readily apparent, is likely to get a call inquiring (if you’ve got a diligent courier) and probably a 50/50 shot of being ignored altogether. Instructions given saying ‘leave at door’ will outweigh a sign that does not specifically prohibit deliveries much of the time.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline
As of July 16, 2022, the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is now available by simply dialing 988. The previous number, 1-800-273-8255, will remain active.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2022 08:02AM by Blankity Blank.
Date: January 12, 2022 09:10AM
The most creative place we've had a package left on our property is our rear patio door

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 12, 2022 09:12AM
I will say that there is a significant difference between the pros (USPS, UPS, Fedex, DHL) and the amateurs (Amazon). At least in our area. The pros are always good about it.

My next step is to set up a deliveries box in front with suitable signage and snacks and water bottles for drivers.
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 12, 2022 04:21PM
cbelt3
I will say that there is a significant difference between the pros (USPS, UPS, Fedex, DHL) and the amateurs (Amazon). At least in our area. The pros are always good about it.

You know, I'd like to OT this with an actual complaint about the "amateurs" - I honestly believe they are a threat to public safety as I've seen both Amazon branded and the innumerable contractor's vehicles:
- double parked
- double parked without blinkers
- parked diagonally so as to obstruct traffic in the same direction
- stopped in the middle of the street
- disobeying traffic control devices
- driving against the direction of traffic

I'm not sure how to get my municipality to allow a reporting system to be sure these businesses are properly penalized - I recognize this might raise the cost of shipping and slow delivery times, but I honestly don't need 3 or more deliveries to my door a day when I have to constantly worry that my family, neighbors and friends are in danger whenever the delivery truck is nearby.

g=
Posted by: AllGold
Date: January 14, 2022 08:41PM
I almost always have to put my shoes on because my front door steps down to the porch (it has a roof but is otherwise open) where the package is left. Even if it's right next to the door, it's awkward for all but the smallest packages to reach down and lift the package.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 159
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020