Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
We all have a date with omicron
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 12, 2022 09:54AM
For me, it’s 1/12/22.

Omicron is so much more contagious, almost on par with Measles. I’m vaccinated and boosted. So far it’s just like a mild head-cold. I’m glad I was diligent and pushed on with getting the booster.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: We all have a date with omicron
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 12, 2022 10:01AM
Offspring have been close contacts a couple times. My vaccinated and boosted spouse had it just as omicron was coming around so we think it was likely a delta infection, and an order of Regeneron was provided not because the patient was struggling but because it was available and covered by insurance and with pre-existing conditions indicating risk for complications, "It can't hurt and it might help!" We practiced masking in common areas and social distancing generally and I was beknighted to sleep on the couch for a week. Symptoms were cold/flu-like but with the noted loss of smell/taste, and my spouse was clear to state "this is not a cold or flu, it's a different illness. I feel sick, but differently sick than when I have a cold or the flu."

Incidentally we have this years' reportedly almost wholly ineffective flu inoculation as well.

g=

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2022 10:07AM by gabester.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 12, 2022 10:07AM
Yesterday, as I was walking to Costco from a doctor's appointment nearby, there was a van giving tests indoors. There was no line, possibly due it's being 17 degrees with a 10mph wind. I said, "sure, it's a free PCR". I'll know tomorrow or so.

I've seen long lines since Xmas. Good luck to you all. I've switched to N95 masks I got through a tip here.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 12, 2022 10:09AM
I'll pass, but Thanks the same,

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 12, 2022 10:27AM
Yeah, I think everybody is going to get it. Better to work from that standpoint and stop pretending "zero Covid" is possible.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 12, 2022 10:28AM
Posted by: lost in space
Date: January 12, 2022 10:33AM
I had a date, but got cold feet, so not yet. Tested negative yesterday.

Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 12, 2022 10:35AM
I had a day or two earlier this month with headaches and muscle soreness, along with fatigue and sore throat, BUT tested negative so who knows what that was about.
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 12, 2022 10:40AM

Hey! If they're free, gimme three!

The two largest universities here have free vending machines all over campus. Nobody has to line up for a test. Of course, not many are wandering around either campus right now, since both UC and CSU are back to online instruction for the start of the new semester.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 12, 2022 10:47AM
We have semi-weekly get togethers with the neighbors. All outside. Even though we are all vaccinated and boosted. One of the neighbors is a physician at one of the main hospitals here. She said, unfortunately we're all going to get it. Eventually. The difference will be the severity. Which will be determined by your vaccination status. But we're all going to get it.

I said thanks for the pep talk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2022 10:47AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 12, 2022 10:47AM
Two shots last year, and booster shot this Monday; a little lethargic on Tuesday but all gone & 100% good today.

I will get any Omicron booster or new shot as soon as it's available. Ditto my family.

Date: January 12, 2022 10:50AM
I tested negative on Monday, positive on Wednesday. I was in isolation the whole time. You need to take at least two of the at home quick tests 2-3 days apart.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 12, 2022 10:57AM
WHO rep for the EU said last night that they expect 50% of EU residents to have contracted Omicron after 8 more weeks.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 12, 2022 11:03AM
Don't fully trust the rapid tests.

I am isollating now because my (fully vaxxed, but not boosted) daughter tested + yesterday.

She tested negative Sunday, after two full days of symptoms.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 12, 2022 11:04AM
Btw. 14 year old had her booster Monday AM. By the time I got home at the end of the day she said "I feel like I got his by a bus." And she was like that all day Tuesday. She woke feeling hit by a bus and went to bed feeling hit by a bus. This morning, MUCH improved. Thankfully.

But she did not have THAT much of a reaction to her initial shots.

Posted by: stephen
Date: January 12, 2022 11:18AM
Boosted late October.

Runny nose at Christmas, negative PCR next day, negative rapid two days later. I still wonder.

Taking many precautions and am the only person in the office who masks consistently. Wish we had more ventilation.

Working in office about 50% of time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2022 11:19AM by stephen.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 12, 2022 11:37AM
at some point, we won't isolate any longer, because it will be impossible to track when the negative/positive/contagious period occurs. a whole bunch of my kids' friends have tested positive of late, and we have not. have we been actually negative? probably not. I've been sick for a couple of weeks, but I didn't test every few days, only once recently with an antigen test around New year's day. my kids are tested weekly (PCR) at school, but the line here for free PCR tests has been huge, like a 1-2 hour wait, out of doors. I'm literally leaving now to see if the line is shorter, and I'll wait for a bit.

I'm not very confident in the antigen tests, and believe they are essentially preying on our fears to make a huge killing, and don't feel like contributing to that.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: January 12, 2022 11:47AM
My theory is that it’s best to hold off as long as I can, and hopefully the oral antivirals are readily available by then. I’m thinking Tamiflu style "keep it on hand in case you need it". I have many reasons that I might not do well with an infection (heck, a cold is bad), and hospitals are a nightmare here. If not oral antivirals, then easily available Mabs that are effective against the strain I’d get. I think there is only one working on omicron right now.

So, I’m almost completely staying home, other than outdoor recreation and rare medical appts (in an N95), very occasional trips into a store for critical items (in an N95), and I got my booster in September. Fingers crossed. I don’t have a lot of faith in the home tests, for omicron, at least, but I do have some.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 12, 2022 12:11PM
Anticipate a very rough trip for wife and self (age and underlying health issue) if or when we come down with it. Grandson and wife, who we were with on NYE, both tested positive and are sick. That light at the end of the tunnel may truly be a locomotive.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 12, 2022 12:19PM
This is a date that I will be happy to stand up. My immunologist has stated that all her patients who've been vaccinated and boosted (obviously, that includes me) who've gotten Omicron, have ended up with mild symptoms and thankfully haven't had to be hospitalized. Nevertheless, I'm content to leave Ms. Omicron waiting at the door of her house to be picked up.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 12, 2022 12:38PM
pretty sure we all had it over Christmas. But recovered handily. Vaccinated and Boosted.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 12, 2022 01:26PM
Boosters had no effect on us -- including our 14 and 17 year olds.

Both neighbors got it, although one had delta earlier and "never felt worse" but still didn't vaxx right away.

I don't plan on getting it, but those pesky kids are prob destin to bring it home. oldest is on the cheer team hanging out at basketball games and 20 other girls... so

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 12, 2022 02:04PM
Nothing to report.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 12, 2022 03:12PM
One way to look at Omicron is that is a vaccine for the unvaccinated (with, unfortunately, a much, much, much higher rate of serious or fatal side effects than, y’know, the regular vaccine).

These days, it’s looking more like almost everyone’s gonna get it, one way or another - generally mild (for the vaccinated) or more severe (for the unvaccinated).

You pay yer money, you get yer choice.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 12, 2022 03:14PM
ztirffritz

You'll be basically over it by this weekend, an easy prediction. And it's obvious you took the steps to ensure that upfront.

That being said, I did buy the entire catalog of one artist's Bandcamp catalog while under its spell.

Don't drive angry
Don't post when drunk
Don't buy with a mild fever

(Seriously tho I do like the music: [martyoreilly.bandcamp.com])

gabester

Can we please stop moving covid related threads to the political side? There's only one kind of person who wants to politicize information about a contagious and potentially deadly disease. This has been going on for almost two years now... You'd think we were talking about AIDS in the 1980s the way this is being brushed under the rug.

Agreed. "Controversy" tends to be a euphemism for, "We don't want to upset anyone, so we'll pretend the merits of an issue don't matter because we don't know how to handle it."

It's childish, and dangerously so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2022 03:16PM by deckeda.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 12, 2022 03:15PM
Due for booster #2 Feb 1st.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

[www.youtube.com]
Date: January 12, 2022 04:05PM
From what I've read, Omicron is running out of bodies to infect already. That's how infectious it is. There are isolated areas that are still haven't seen it, but most of the country has been steam-rolled.

Posted by: chopper
Date: January 12, 2022 05:34PM
I went to a wedding reception at a bar last Saturday. A room full of people mingling eating and drinking for hours. Maybe 3 people wore masks. A reasonably large group of 40-50-60 years olds went outside and shared a joint. Nobody was freaked out. Several people said they had the latest version and it was like a medium bad cold.

I had the first version a year ago last October. I'm not vaccinated and I've never had a booster.
Posted by: d4
Date: January 12, 2022 06:28PM
With great fanfare our local school district announced in an email they will provide each student K-12 with free take-home covid test kits. The parents just got the kits last week. The printed expiration date on the box is Jan.31,2022. Yeah, in 2 weeks. Gee thanks.

Posted by: TLB
Date: January 12, 2022 06:51PM
Everyone in the family was sick over the holidays, symptoms like a typical 1 to 4 day common cold. Everyone tested negative except for 1, our 4 year old grandchild tested positive last Friday. She was just weirdly tire. Slept straight through on Saturday, but no cough sniffles or other symptoms. Back 100% on Sunday and asking to go back to school every day. Did we have it, who knows?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 12, 2022 07:42PM
I've had all of the symptoms mildly over the last week. Ive tested negative 3 different times with rapid tests (done carefully). Around here it takes 5 days to get in for a PCR test and another 5 days to get results. We wonder why this pandemic continues.

Vaxxed, boosted, always masked when indoors and avoiding crowds since 2019.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: rz
Date: January 12, 2022 07:48PM
She dumped me. Had it last week. Vaxxed and boosted. Had a stuffy nose for a couple of days and a scratchy throat. Cleared up quick. It wasn't even as bad as a cold for me. In fact, pre-covid, I probably would have still gone to work. I truly thought it was allergies. Two days before I showed symptoms, I spent 15 hours in a car with my wife and son, and slept in the same bed with my wife until the morning I showed symptoms. And neither of them ended up catching it.
Posted by: rz
Date: January 12, 2022 07:49PM
TLB
Did we have it, who knows?

I think you can get an antibody test, but I'm not sure what it would report if you've been boosted recently.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 12, 2022 08:02PM
Given that people in the same household are not getting it from their housemates, the contagious aspect is very odd. We have had that same result from oir friends.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: January 13, 2022 05:05AM
rz
TLB
Did we have it, who knows?

I think you can get an antibody test, but I'm not sure what it would report if you've been boosted recently.

The vaccine doesn’t affect the antibody tests. I wasn’t able to get the "good one" as it’s only for research, but the test I did get said I’d never "seen" COVID.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 13, 2022 08:43AM
TBH, if the symptoms were mild enough its very possible that I had it - that my whole family had it - and we just thought it was a cold or allergies.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 13, 2022 02:45PM
I think my date was last week. Started feeling bad last Tuesday and I've also had all three shots, Pfizer. Had headaches, sore throat, sinus drainage, body and joint aches, extreme fatigue and short of breathe. Went to the Dr. Monday, they wouldn't let me in so I was examined outside, chest was clear, O2 was good, tested for Strep throat, Flu and Covid, all came back negative so who knows. Covid was a PCR test. Feeling some better and worked outside some yesterday and today. Dr. thinks it's a sinus infection.

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2022 02:47PM by Grateful11.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 13, 2022 02:53PM
I went in last month to my Doctor for a regular visit. I had in my mind that I would get the booster while I was there. When my Doc asked if there was anything else, I asked for the booster. He told me that the office had a power failure a few days before and ruined all the covid vaccinations in their fridge.

So, just the first two shots for me so far. No ill effects noticed, but I'm avoiding almost all people, which is nearly impossible.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Maddog
Date: January 13, 2022 05:38PM
I have had hangovers that were a lot worse. All 6 of the family (all vax'd and boosted) got it. 2 of the group had minimal to no symptoms. Mine was most severe and was like a couple of days of a moderate cold. I am starting to think that the effects of worrying about it are much worse than the disease (of course for the vaccinated)
Posted by: fauch
Date: January 17, 2022 06:00PM
My whole family just had it, and no one caught it from each other. Mostly TRIPLE vaxxed. Put a major dent in our holiday plans. I seemingly didn't catch it despite being exposed too many times to count in the past month, though I tested positive for the regular 'Rona in September (but was completely asymptomatic) so maybe my antibodies did their jobs despite not being vaxxed and not planning on it ever.

Thankfully no one was actually sicker than somewhere between a bad cold and a minor flu. I'm hoping everyone calms down now that they realize the sky did not fall.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020