advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I will not particpate in "pay it forward" at the drive-thru.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 12, 2022 02:52PM
You have been warned. Buy your own dang coffee.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I will not particpate in "pay it forward" at the drive-thru.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 12, 2022 02:59PM
I buy my own coffee and make it at home.

"Pay it Forward" ???
Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 12, 2022 03:06PM
I've had two people pay for my coffee at starbucks within the last month. It always surprises me and I'm never quite sure what to do as I can't thank them.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 12, 2022 03:19PM
I was reading something on Reddit yesterday that said this practice causes more problems for the baristas than it's worth and recommended that people do not engage in it.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 12, 2022 03:26PM
I choose not to participate in that stuff. However, I haven’t gone through a drive-thru since the early 90’s.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 12, 2022 03:33PM
Just give the barista a big tip.

They can probably use it more than someone who is already willing to pay $$$$ for a coffee.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 12, 2022 03:52PM
I was at a computer store in December, approached the counter to find a ruckus there.

A guy had just paid for a woman's $700 laptop repair. Handed over his card for the swipe, wished her "happy holidays" and walked right out. Didn't wait for the applause.

D@mned generous of him.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 12, 2022 04:16PM
I won't participate unless I know the person receiving it needs it. Someone at Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts does not "need" it. Is that judgemental? yes but so be it.

I'm more apt to buy a bag of diapers for a young mom or fill a senior's car with gas than buy lunch for anyone.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 12, 2022 04:45PM
I might do it if the car behind me is a beater. Dont drive thru often, and hate coffee, so 2 negatives

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 12, 2022 05:18PM
As a former Starbucks partner I will confess to shutting down a pay it forward as quickly as possible. It is a pain in the butt to keep track of at the drive thru window. My spiel to the receiver of the gift as i handed them their order would be “You are the recipient of a random act of kindness. Your order has been paid for. Have a great day!” Then i’d shut the drive through window and walk away before they could offer to pay for the next car. Usually worked.

Please don’t start one. Please don’t feel obliged to continue one. We ain’t got time for that.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: January 12, 2022 05:35PM
With the mobile app zap, it seems pretty simple to pay for the car behind.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 12, 2022 05:39PM
graylocks
As a former Starbucks partner I will confess to shutting down a pay it forward as quickly as possible. It is a pain in the butt to keep track of at the drive thru window.

Yep - that was the reason cited in the Reddit post I mentioned.

It is what it is.
Date: January 12, 2022 05:41PM
Was this prompted by this? [jalopnik.com]

Posted by: Acer
Date: January 12, 2022 06:25PM
jdc
Was this prompted by this? [jalopnik.com]

Yes, this brought it to mind recently, but this phenomenon is several years old. Frankly, I thought it had run out of fashion, but apparently it still happens.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 12, 2022 07:25PM
Buy an extra burrito and give it to a homeless person you might pass by.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 12, 2022 07:45PM
The man in the video explains that, while his order was only $6, the person behind him put in a $46 order.

This exact same thing happened to me at an In-n-Out a few days ago.

I was pleasantly surprised that someone paid for my $8 order, so I thought to do likewise, because WTFN.

Then I had the presence of mind to ask the amount of the order of the car behind me — $46 and change!

So yeah, no.

I have no idea how long the Pay It chain was, but I was not about to pay that kind of money.

And seeing that it can be a problem for anybody working the register, I won't bother at all.

And anybody seeing that guy's action to be a breach of imagined etiquette is a loon.

Tapping into my more cynical side, I see how that could be a scheme to get a big 'discount' on a meal, but it would take a bit of work.

Not at all near the same scale, but this reminds me of drivers who don't follow the rules of the road (and likely don't know them nearly well enough) and yield their right of way to encourage another driver to go ahead, for no damn reason at all.

I've seen this happen a couple of times at a traffic light as well, resulting in a ticket for each driver.

It's very...

...Mac and Tosh.

And just plain stupid.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 12, 2022 08:26PM
Two weeks in a row I had my single coffee paid for at a local Heine Bros coffee drive-thru and was thinking that I really should join the kindness extended to me. Glad to see this discussion as it will certainly "inform" my decision about doing it next time I am in that line.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 12, 2022 10:54PM
The most I ever did was while in line at StarBucks, there was a group of firemen, in line behind us. I bought a $20 gift card and told the young lady to apply it to thier bill.

More of "Thanks"

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 13, 2022 12:14AM
Rolando
The most I ever did was while in line at StarBucks, there was a group of firemen, in line behind us. I bought a $20 gift card and told the young lady to apply it to thier bill.

More of "Thanks"

THAT is not a hassle to handle. Thank you.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: January 13, 2022 02:23AM
mrbigstuff
Buy an extra burrito and give it to a homeless person you might pass by.

Makes much more sense. If I want a coffee while out and about in the city I can usually see a homeless person nearby and ask them what they would like before going to the nearest street coffee seller.

Paul
Posted by: MikeF
Date: January 13, 2022 09:19AM
We have paid for firefighters and police meals at a restaurant if we're there and they're eating. We have asked homeless or down on their luck people if we could buy them something prepared when we go to grocery store to bring out to them. And we usually let people with only a single item or two go in front of us at the grocery checkout line and occasionally tell them to leave with the items and have the associate add it to our total. Would not do it at a drive-through.

It doesn't hurt to make the world slightly better sometimes...
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 13, 2022 09:47AM
Several years ago, I was in line at my favorite local bakery/ coffee shop when a mom and kids paid for my order. They gave me an letter explaining what they were doing, along with a photograph of their sister, who had recently passed away at a young age. It meant a lot to me.
Posted by: fauch
Date: January 17, 2022 05:48PM
I can't even remember the last time I went through a drive thru...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020