advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ronnie Spector, Lead Singer of Classic Girl Group The Ronettes, Dies at 78
Posted by: JoeM
Date: January 12, 2022 04:28PM
Another sad loss. I had the pleasure of having her rehearse in a studio in NYC that I managed back in the late 70s. She was making a comeback and was quite shy and sweet but still a great talent. RIP and thanks for the wonderful music.

[www.billboard.com]

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ronnie Spector, Lead Singer of Classic Girl Group The Ronettes, Dies at 78
Posted by: hal
Date: January 12, 2022 04:44PM
I just read an obit - I didn't know that she was only 18 when her first album landed (with 5 top 10 hits).
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 12, 2022 04:48PM
bummer. long time fave.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 12, 2022 04:55PM
fortunately, she escaped the mad murderous creep Phil Spector in 1972. Ronnie is an immortal of mid 20th century music
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 12, 2022 04:59PM
R.I.P.

Such a unique sound!

Yeah, I dug her group, and all the other girl groups of the era.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: lost in space
Date: January 12, 2022 04:59PM
Dang. She was one of my early crushes.

Posted by: wurm
Date: January 12, 2022 06:54PM
Oh, man. Every time I hear Take Me Home Tonight by Eddie Money (also R.I.P.) I think of her. [www.youtube.com]
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 12, 2022 07:18PM
wurm
Oh, man. Every time I hear Take Me Home Tonight by Eddie Money (also R.I.P.) I think of her. [www.youtube.com]

She looks pretty darn good in that video, too. Of course, she seemed ancient to 20 year old me when the video was released in 1985.

It is what it is.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 12, 2022 07:45PM
She really had one of those unique voices, instantly recognizable.

Here she is, with two backup singers who, like her, each happen to have really unique and immediately-recognizable voices: [www.youtube.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2022 07:47PM by PeterB.
Date: January 12, 2022 07:53PM
never saw that. thanks. nice to see Grace as well.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Posted by: rz
Date: January 12, 2022 08:00PM
I saw a clip of her tonight in an interview from not that long ago where she just sang a few seconds of "Be My Baby", and she still sounded great. RIP.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 12, 2022 08:10PM
PeterB

Here she is, with two backup singers who, like her, each happen to have really unique and immediately-recognizable voices: [www.youtube.com]

That was amazing. 3 generations of talented (and beautiful ... ) singers. And Clarence Clemons!
Date: January 12, 2022 08:15PM
[www.youtube.com]
This version, despite Paul Shaffer’s band easily being the best TV talk show band for many years, isn’t polished. And then there’s David Sandborn because "saxophone," right?

AND THEN SHE COMES OUT ON STAGE AND OMG ITS RONNIE @#$%& SPECTOR, AND ALL IS FORGIVEN.

[www.youtube.com]
Don’t Worry Baby (from 1999’s “She Talks to Rainbows” EP … which features Joey Ramone) Did you know Brian Wilson wrote that for the Ronettes, and they never recorded it??

I like her cover of Johnny Thunder’s “You Can’t Put Your Arms Around a Memory”
[www.youtube.com]
from 2006’s Last of the Rock Stars

[www.youtube.com]
“For every kiss you give me, I’ll give you three” —> ignore the canned audience screaming, because whenever Veronica sang, “I’ll make you happy baby, just wait and see …” you got our full attention then, and ever since.

Ms. Bennett, you were the real deal. My highest compliment, on so many levels.
Date: January 12, 2022 08:36PM
Pauls band was soul less in spite of the ability of the players. Thankfully there was Ronnie.

They prolly never recorded it coz Phil wouldn't get any writing royalties.

I doubt the audience was canned. Just wasn't much audio distinction then. Dig some of the audience shots with stone faced uninvolved kids.

Ronnie was so magnetic and possessed a thrilling voice.

I'm not much for ballads mostly, but Phil was good at it.
And Ronnie, Estelle and Nedra killed it.
My 2 faves:
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 12, 2022 09:04PM
deckeda
PeterB

That was amazing. 3 generations of talented (and beautiful ... ) singers. And Clarence Clemons!

Yep, that's one of my favorite performances of hers. She just seemed to be having SO much fun on stage, especially with Clarence. Here's another of my favorites of her performances: [www.youtube.com]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 12, 2022 11:03PM
Back in the early 70s, her longtime friend George Harrison wrote a song for her.
"Try Some Buy Some"
It was not the big comeback hit she was hoping for, but I think she did a great job expressing the pain in the lyrics.
Years later George recorded his voice on the same backing track. Here is a mashup of the two.
[youtu.be]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Date: January 13, 2022 08:10AM
Fritz
Pauls band was soul less in spite of the ability of the players. Thankfully there was Ronnie.

They prolly never recorded it coz Phil wouldn't get any writing royalties.

I doubt the audience was canned. Just wasn't much audio distinction then. Dig some of the audience shots with stone faced uninvolved kids.

Ronnie was so magnetic and possessed a thrilling voice.

I'm not much for ballads mostly, but Phil was good at it.
And Ronnie, Estelle and Nedra killed it.
My 2 faves:
[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Agreed about "the world's most dangerous band." Paul reliably took Dave's constant abuse with a smile that always seemed to say, "I'd kill you in your sleep if I ever had the chance" and so that's what made it work I think.

Agreed about Phil. He "wrote" so much.

Canned or not I have to believe they could have mixed that differently, especially in light of so many bored teens. Ronnie's mic was live; it wasn't a lip sync.

In a 2018 video she said "Walking in the Rain" was her favorite song the Ronnettes recorded.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 13, 2022 08:47AM
deckeda

[www.youtube.com]
“For every kiss you give me, I’ll give you three” —> ignore the canned audience screaming, because whenever Veronica sang, “I’ll make you happy baby, just wait and see …” you got our full attention then, and ever since.

Ms. Bennett, you were the real deal. My highest compliment, on so many levels.

This is one of my favorite clips of that era of music. Man, I may need a cold shower after that one. Ridiculous.
Date: January 13, 2022 03:42PM
interview with Ronnie 2010 - FUV Dennis Elsas

Dennis is a long time DJ here in the NYC area. He was on "free form" rock station, WNEW, for 25 years, beginning in 1971, thru my youth.
Dennis has been on local AAA mixed format, WFUV, from Forham for 2 decades.

It's a very enjoyable interview with Ronnie.

!#$@@$#!

Date: January 15, 2022 10:05AM
[www.youtube.com]

the woman Ronnie brings on at the end I believe is Alynda Segarra aka Hooray for the Riff Raff..

This is a way more inspired and rehearsed version than Pauld band dropped.

!#$@@$#!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 89
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020