advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any ex-Harry Potter fans here?
Posted by: d4
Date: January 12, 2022 06:23PM
I'm in search of a set of pre-loved Harry Potter books 1-7 for a kid.

I figure used Harry Potter book sets are gathering dust in almost every household with kids. Or adults who grew up in the late 90s and early 2000s.

She's read the books from the library and now, after watching the movies has a renewed interest in re-reading the books. She seems more "into" the Harry Potter universe this time around now that she's a pre-teen, so I figured maybe find a set to keep around the house so she can pick them up and read them on a whim when the mood strikes.

Anyone want to sell a set for cheap or free-cycle some? I'll pay for shipping. Just throw them in a box.

PS. Kindles (and the like) are not permitted in her school sad smiley

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any ex-Harry Potter fans here?
Posted by: hal
Date: January 12, 2022 06:31PM
sorry to veer off topic, but why on earth are kindles banned from school?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 12, 2022 07:17PM
You might check whether any local used bookstores have any copies.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 12, 2022 07:34PM
hal

Students get jealous of the kid with the kindle, end up bullying them...
Or
Kindle gets broken, parents sue the school.
Or
Kindle gets stolen, parents sue, or they get into fights other students.
Or
Device (like an android tablet) gets on school network, and starts pounding out virus traffic, DNS attacks, etc.

We decided a couple years ago to change our "Bring Your Own Device" policy back to "they're not allowed on campus".... It's just one more thing to cause trouble.
We have a hard enough time keeping the girls from fighting about what jeans they're wearing. We don't need a bunch of device-jealosy too.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: rz
Date: January 12, 2022 08:01PM
I see the books at probably one out of every 5 or 6 garage sales I go to. We picked up the whole set in hardback over the course of about a year at about a buck each.
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 12, 2022 08:12PM
Sorry I can't help - the Harry Potter books in our family are well loved and re-read several times a year. Consider it "comfort reading" - can't part with the set!

g=
Posted by: hal
Date: January 12, 2022 08:19PM
Paul F.
hal

Or
Or
Or
Device (like an android tablet) gets on school network, and starts pounding out virus traffic, DNS attacks, etc.

We decided a couple years ago to change our "Bring Your Own Device" policy back to "they're not allowed on campus".... It's just one more thing to cause trouble.
We have a hard enough time keeping the girls from fighting about what jeans they're wearing. We don't need a bunch of device-jealosy too.

that's interesting.. so there no iphones, ipads or anything connectable allowed? I'm completely ignorant of how schools work in the computer era. I guess things could go crazy in a hurry once there is a breakdown.

I do remember when I was a HS freshman calculators were forbidden, but by the time I was a senior, all students were required to have their own with them.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 12, 2022 10:27PM
hal
Paul F.
hal

Or
Or
Or

that's interesting.. so there no iphones, ipads or anything connectable allowed? I'm completely ignorant of how schools work in the computer era. I guess things could go crazy in a hurry once there is a breakdown.

I do remember when I was a HS freshman calculators were forbidden, but by the time I was a senior, all students were required to have their own with them.

Correct... no personal devices are supposed to be on campus. Except phones... it was the PARENTS who demanded their precious little 4th grader have their cell phone in thier backpack... All phones are supposed to be put away during school, however. Not that we're not confiscating at least a couple phones a day because the kids are using them to cheat, or texting their friends in class, or posting cyberbullying to Instagram from the girls room..... I'm glad we locked the little darlings out of the school WiFi two years ago. Now that crap is all discipline issues for the teachers to deal with, not "technology" issues for ME to deal with.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 13, 2022 07:19AM
I get a set almost weekly in the little free library in front of our house.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: January 13, 2022 08:08AM
No electronics allowed in her Middle (Junior High) school. No phones, smartwatches, headphones, tablets, laptops and unfortunately Kindles. With few exceptions, the only electronic item the students carry throughout the day are school-issued (locked down) Chromebooks.

Her load can get pretty heavy for her with various books, folders, Chromebook, lunch, thermos, and band instrument. So add on top of all that a big thick Harry Potter book is a lot for her. But she's ok with it so she can read it during the day.

Most kids bring phones, but everything goes into their lockers at the start of the school day. Parents want to at least track them on the bus, or be able to contact them when there are after-school activities.

Garage sales aren't too popular in my area. Most people here are ok with donating their used stuff to Salvation Army, Lupus, Big Brother/Sister, Veterans, etc. Our neighbors just put stuff out in bags and boxes for pickup. They don't really feel it's worth their time and effort.

I'll keep an eye on the usual online sources.

Date: January 13, 2022 08:12AM
ztirffritz
I get a set almost weekly in the little free library in front of our house.

If you can grab the next free set and send them my way I'd appreciate it! Although USPS Media Mail is cheap, I'd rather pay shipping once and get them all in one shot. I'll gladly pay for shipping and your time, effort smiling smiley

Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: January 13, 2022 11:33AM
Current Harry Potter fan here. I've been using my son's 20 year old books to read a chapter out loud to my 7 year old niece & nephew over FaceTime. We're going to finish the 1st book tomorrow and then watch the movie together on Sunday.

They're so excited.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 13, 2022 01:07PM
bhaveshp
Current Harry Potter fan here. I've been using my son's 20 year old books to read a chapter out loud to my 7 year old niece & nephew over FaceTime. We're going to finish the 1st book tomorrow and then watch the movie together on Sunday.

They're so excited.

That sounds great!

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020