advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Older MPB vs Newest MBP + OWC TB Dock
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 13, 2022 11:24AM
We have an older MBP in our studio. Older. But still with the 4 TB ports. It is plugged into this OWC Thunderbolt Dock. So it gets power and data over the one TB cable.

We have now replaced that computer with a brand spanking new MBP M1 super duper laptop. With the Magsafe adaptor.

Using the same dock, I am assuming we will still use the TB cable to transfer data to and from the dock, BUT we will also need to use the MagSafe power adapter for power. Or will the laptop still pull power from the TB connection.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2022 11:24AM by bazookaman.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Older MPB vs Newest MBP + OWC TB Dock
Posted by: bhaveshp
Date: January 13, 2022 11:30AM
The new M1 laptops can either be powered from the MagSafe port, or using USB-PD on any of the USB-C ports. So I believe the existing dock should still work to power the MBP.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 13, 2022 01:29PM
bhaveshp
The new M1 laptops can either be powered from the MagSafe port, or using USB-PD on any of the USB-C ports. So I believe the existing dock should still work to power the MBP.

Correct. Magsafe or USB C/Tbolt both work. Magsafe is faster, if that scenario is something you desire.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 13, 2022 02:41PM
jdc
bhaveshp

Correct. Magsafe or USB C/Tbolt both work. Magsafe is faster, if that scenario is something you desire.

I figured Magsafe would be better for power. It just occurred to me that now the MagSafe equals a separate power source and no data whereas TB is both. But I guess its a moot point b/c the MagSafe doesn't use a TB port. So even if he wanted to keep it connected it wouldn't limit anything.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2022 02:41PM by bazookaman.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020