advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Which Setting Needs Adjustment? Image Display Issue.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: January 13, 2022 11:51AM
On an early 2015 13" MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core I5 running 10.14.3 everything is working fine except it won't display some smaller images such as any of the Smilies on this website and the ones in most people's signatures like the three Paul F uses, instead displaying the "unrecognized image file type" symbol of a question mark in a blue box. Any images I've done a Bing search for show up perfectly well without exception.

Since my old Mini running 10.6.3 that I was using until fairly recently could display these fine, I'm assuming it's an issue with a setting somewhere but I'll be danged if I can find or figure out which one. Could it be I'm missing an extension?

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Which Setting Needs Adjustment? Image Display Issue.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 13, 2022 12:10PM
Hmm, those are all animated .gif files, [forums.macresource.com]
and every browser should support that.

I assume you have restarted the computer?

EDIT- the question mark in the blue box means the image cannot be found, so I wonder if there is some DNS thing going on where not everything is loading properly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2022 12:12PM by mikebw.
Date: January 13, 2022 01:06PM
mikebw
Hmm, those are all animated .gif files, [forums.macresource.com]
and every browser should support that.
Exactly, and most of the images in signatures are just still images, usually .jpg. One or two I can see, but most I can't such as the three used by Paul F.

mikebw
I assume you have restarted the computer?
Yep, numerous times over a few weeks. Another possibly related thing is that skin tones such as displayed in Youtube videos have a weird opalescent quality. It somewhat reminds me of when you'd try to display an image in "millions of colors" when your monitor was set to "thousands of colors", with steps rather than smooth gradation between similar shades, but adjusting the amount of colors displayed hasn't even been an option since OS 9, has it? Neither is a serious problem, just mild annoyances, and today was the first time I thought to ask about them.

mikebw
EDIT- the question mark in the blue box means the image cannot be found, so I wonder if there is some DNS thing going on where not everything is loading properly.
Maybe? I'm not sure what DNS stands for since I haven't encountered that term before.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 13, 2022 01:54PM
Paul F. has two .gifs and one .png, so it seems you are only able to view .jpg.

Do you have any ad blockers or other anti-malware or virus software running? They could be inadvertently blocking certain elements within the forum website domain.

Your point about the colors seeming off... I don't think there even a setting for that anymore?

Can you go to the display preferences and make sure the color profile is set to the built-in LCD panel?
Date: January 13, 2022 07:41PM
mikebw
Paul F. has two .gifs and one .png, so it seems you are only able to view .jpg.

Do you have any ad blockers or other anti-malware or virus software running? They could be inadvertently blocking certain elements within the forum website domain.
None other than what apparently came on the machine. No third-party stuff that I've seen at all.

mikebw
Your point about the colors seeming off... I don't think there even a setting for that anymore?

Can you go to the display preferences and make sure the color profile is set to the built-in LCD panel?
I did, and it is. I even ran the Display Profile Utility (or whatever it's called) and everything checked out A-OK.

Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 13, 2022 08:15PM
It's your browser.

You've got something blocking certain images. Could be an ad-blocker. Could be malware/adware using some sort of broken proxy.

Might be hard to isolate if you don't remember installing anything recently.

Start by running a Malwarebytes scan.
[www.malwarebytes.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 80
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020