advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone have experience with these portable EKG monitoring devices?...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 13, 2022 11:58AM
... like KardiaMobile, etc. ?

My 89-year old mother, who has recently had valve replacement and has been experiencing some fatigue/dizziness, was recommended by her doctor to get one of these. (She's already had a holter monitor on for a month, which was apparently not particular revealing.)

She's remarkably tech-savvy for someone her age (she is on Fb quite a bit and even has a twitter!) ... but her tech is fairly out-of-date, for example, she is still using a Mac Mini 2012 and an iPhone 6 that I set up for her, I believe. She'd almost certainly need my help setting the monitoring device for her, which under current corona circumstances, I'd probably have to do by FaceTime.

I'm not 100% sure what her budget would be, and/or if insurance might cover the cost, but I see that basic devices of this type run $75-100 on Amazon. It seems like KardiaMobile is the most common/popular, but I also notice that they charge a $10/month fee??

Anyone have experience and can relate? TiA

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2022 12:21PM by PeterB.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone have experience with these portable EKG monitoring devices?...
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 13, 2022 12:45PM
PeterB
My 89-year old mother, who has recently had valve replacement and has been experiencing some fatigue/dizziness, was recommended by her doctor to get one of these. (She's already had a holter monitor on for a month, which was apparently not particular revealing.) She's remarkably tech-savvy…I see that basic devices of this type run $75-100 on Amazon. It seems like KardiaMobile is the most common/popular, but I also notice that they charge a $10/month fee??

She may get along well with an Apple Watch. In addition to ECG, it can also measure blood oxygen and, of course heart rate and will keep records on her iPhone of those measurements.

[hospitalmedicaldirector.com]
[www.cnet.com]
[support.apple.com]
Posted by: JPK
Date: January 13, 2022 01:39PM
sorry duplicate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2022 01:42PM by JPK.
Posted by: JPK
Date: January 13, 2022 01:41PM
I have one of those Kardia mobile ones. Work surprising well. I think they me on special at amazon. Of course my doctor won't accept this as it is "not in the right format" for their systems patient management system. So even though I bring him a print out every time, he still required me to get my bi-annual ekg at the hospital with all the leads that stick to my chest hair. The idea is great by much of the health care industry in not interested in money saving solutions. The covid response seems to parallel this thought.

PS I think the $10 fee is optional and only if you want results "review" by a tech and saved on their system.

JPK
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: January 13, 2022 03:14PM
JPK
...So even though I bring him a print out every time, he still required me to get my bi-annual ekg at the hospital with all the leads that stick to my chest hair. The idea is great by much of the health care industry in not interested in money saving solutions. ...
JPK

A single lead EKG, like the KardiaMobile, has limited uses. A twelve lead EKG, like done in the office, provides much more information. MUCH more.
Posted by: dk62
Date: January 13, 2022 03:38PM
I have been using Kardia for years. It has limited functionality, mainly for atrial fibrillation and bradycardia, unless there is a different new device. There is no subscription, I did pay a couple of times for someone there to take a look at my recording.
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 13, 2022 05:39PM
How timely - I just bought one yesterday!

There is a relatively new model that has a six-lead input and costs $150. Does not require an ongoing subscription. Might be able to find on Amazon but was sold out there when I ordered it.

[www.bestbuy.com]

The six inputs are two fingers on each hand, and then you rest it on your knee or ankle. Yeah I know that's only five, I don't know where the sixth one comes from.

I don't know how well it works - it told me I was "normal." Well, I feel normal. But it was pretty easy to set up on the iPhone. I think a reasonably tech-savvy person could coach their reasonably tech-savvy mom to use it. As I recall the Bluetooth configuration was done through the Kardia app and didn't even require opening the Settings on the phone.
Date: January 13, 2022 06:46PM
Thanks everyone.

Anybody know if something like this might be covered by insurance? Money is very tight for her (and for the rest of us!)...

I too had thought of an Apple Watch, but I'm afraid it's out of our budget, and also there's the fact that she tells me she rarely wears ANY watch... so getting her to wear an Apple Watch all the time might be an uphill battle.

Also, will it be a problem that she's got such an old iPhone, iPad, and Mac Mini? We'd need to make sure that whatever software the manufacturer offers would work under an old OS/iOS.

Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: January 13, 2022 09:31PM
I had the original Kardi a single lead EKG, and now have the six lead. It is a marked improvement, and the results seem to be good.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 14, 2022 07:06AM
PeterB
Thanks everyone.

Anybody know if something like this might be covered by insurance? Money is very tight for her (and for the rest of us!)...

I too had thought of an Apple Watch, but I'm afraid it's out of our budget, and also there's the fact that she tells me she rarely wears ANY watch... so getting her to wear an Apple Watch all the time might be an uphill battle.

Also, will it be a problem that she's got such an old iPhone, iPad, and Mac Mini? We'd need to make sure that whatever software the manufacturer offers would work under an old OS/iOS.

Can her phone run the latest version of iOS? If so, she's probably ok but you would need to confirm.
Date: January 14, 2022 07:36AM
macphanatic
PeterB
Thanks everyone.

Can her phone run the latest version of iOS? If so, she's probably ok but you would need to confirm.

Doubtful that an iPhone 6 (if that's what it is) can run anything above iOS12?

Posted by: wowzer
Date: January 15, 2022 06:52AM
I don’t know about insurance, but I have seen the EKG from the Apple Watch. It is hit or miss in my opinion. However, several times I had patients whose EKGs on the Apple Watch which revealed an underlying atrial fibrillation.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2022 06:52AM by wowzer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020