advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How many of you have the Apple Card
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: January 13, 2022 01:47PM
Curious if anyone has found the Apple Card useful. I held out but finally decided to try it and it just arrived this morning. Not sure yet where it will be helpful, but I do like the idea of less swiping at the register and more security.

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Monterey 12.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Me.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 13, 2022 02:07PM
I have it.

The physical card doesn't get much use, but it's in the wallet, just in case I need it.

Mainly, I use Apple Pay, or the virtual version of the card, when an online vendor doesn't take Apple Pay.

I like it a lot, and use it more than my other two cards.

It doesn't give back the rewards that some others do, but I really like how I can keep track of what I spend and where it was spent.

Getting in contact with G-S is very quick and easy via the Apple Wallet, no chasing down phone numbers.

Other cards do this, but none of my other cards do – seconds after making a purchase (depending on hwo fast a given vendor charges it) I get a notification on my 'Phone or Watch.

I really like that, especially if a product is backordered, and the vendor doesn't charge the card right away.

If I need to, I can 'freeze' the card right from the app, and unfreeze it at will, useful if I should misplace the card.

Hypothetically, if I misplaced a card but thought it lost somewhere, I'd cancel and have to wait for a new card.

Hypothetically.

This card can be cancelled, and a replacement sent, but the Wallet still works, as does the virtual card, as they are two different numbers.

And the virtual card can be replaced in a minute, if need be.

The one feature it lacks, that I'd like to have, is the ability to generate a one time number.

That's great for those times one takes advantage of an introductory price, but know he will not renew when the time comes.

That would be the virtual cherry on top.

Other cards no doubt work better for other people, but the Apple Card works best for me.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: How many of you have the Apple Card
Posted by: d4
Date: January 13, 2022 02:26PM
I was one of the early adopters of the Apple Card. I tried using it 3 times at different cashiers. All 3 times the card was VERY tight going into the slot. It didn't feel right, but I just shoved it in there. And all three times it did not register. And I had to embarrassingly apologize to the cashier and use another card. I haven't used it since sad smiley

Re: Me.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 13, 2022 02:46PM
I got one when they became available. I haven't had many real chances to use it, but it did give me problems at the gas pump. I use my other cards when I pump gas now.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 13, 2022 02:58PM
I got it just because of the 3% back on a MBP M1 purchase. I doubt it will become my daily driver. I'm still learning how to be comfortable with tap and go interfaces in general having had mixed results with them and another RFID enabled card.

I don't like the titanium physical card. It's heavy and inflexible in my minimalist wallet.

Posted by: pdq
Date: January 13, 2022 03:27PM
I had to specifically request a titanium card (cause it’s cool).

Never had a problem with it. But I just use my phone for Apple Pay.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: January 13, 2022 03:33PM
Acer
I got it just because of the 3% back on a MBP M1 purchase. I doubt it will become my daily driver.

Same reason I went for the Titanium. And same question about its stiffness, but I guess the iPhone version works for most other retail places.

M1 2020 Mac mini (16G 2T) Monterey 12.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs M1 2020 13" MBAir (256G 8G)
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 13, 2022 03:53PM
I discovered the hard way that Titanium is harder than auto class. I was using It to scrape ice off my windshield 2 winters ago. I get reminded every time I drive. I scratched the glass.

I do love using my phone to pay, less contact is awesome. I use it at gas stations and feel better than using a real card.

When I first got it, it tended to impress the hell out of bartenders and waitstaff, I guess they associated it with tech-bros. Not so much anymore. I had a cashier absolutely freak out when she dropped it, because it klanged so loudly on a tile floor.

Paying balances and reviewing purchases is super easy. I love it.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: SurfMacJpMtb
Date: January 13, 2022 04:05PM
Yes, I use it for all Apple purchases and very little else. I do not carry the physical card. I have other credit cards that I use regularly.

Long time Mac user
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 13, 2022 04:20PM
Yes. My titanium physical card has never left the original box. I use the Apple card as my primary Apple Pay card on my phone for all grocery and sundries purchases. When I can use Apple Pay online, that is also so much easier. Well yeah, for Apple purchases too.

I could probably get more cash back from another card. Right now I am already swimming in Southwest points and no desire to travel.

I have mentioned before that all cash back from the Apple card gets sept onto an Apple Cash debit card that is set up for Apple purchases like month subscriptions, app downloads etc. Mrs Markintosh complains less about these things when she does not see them on a CC statement.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: stephen
Date: January 13, 2022 04:30PM
Nope. Sticking with Delta Amex Reserve. Gets me Platinum status every year and worth it for that.
Re:How many of you have the Apple Card
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 13, 2022 04:38PM
don't use the physical card but like getting 2% back at Aldi and Trader Joes that eventually goes to fund my Starbucks card when I apple watch a purchase.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2022 04:39PM by graylocks.
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 13, 2022 04:47PM
Nope.

I considered it when we bought my wife a new MacBook last summer. But, the credit card doesn't double warranties (not a big surprise since they sell them!). I bought it with a Fidelity card that pays 2% and does double the warranty. I considered buying the computer from Costco and getting their 4 year warranty when using their credit card but the trade in deal for her old MacBook Pro was MUCH better from Apple and they were tossing in Airpods last summer so we bought it from the Apple store. I'll probably replace my old Dell with the new MacBook Air when they're released and will likely buy it from Costco and use their card for the 4 year warranty.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 13, 2022 04:53PM
Michael
I'll probably replace my old Dell with the new MacBook Air when they're released and will likely buy it from Costco and use their card for the 4 year warranty.

Just so you're aware, i bought an iMac from Costco and in year 3 needed service. They did indeed cover repairing a dead ethernet port which entailed replacing the motherboard. Cost was $500 which I paid out of pocket. Costco reimburses repairs with a Costco Shop Card. I thought I could spend a little bit and get the rest back as cash. Doesn't work that way. It'll take me a good 5 months to spend that card down if I stick to my usual mode of only buying what I actually need at Costco.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 13, 2022 05:34PM
graylocks
Michael
I'll probably replace my old Dell with the new MacBook Air when they're released and will likely buy it from Costco and use their card for the 4 year warranty.

Just so you're aware, i bought an iMac from Costco and in year 3 needed service. They did indeed cover repairing a dead ethernet port which entailed replacing the motherboard. Cost was $500 which I paid out of pocket. Costco reimburses repairs with a Costco Shop Card. I thought I could spend a little bit and get the rest back as cash. Doesn't work that way. It'll take me a good 5 months to spend that card down if I stick to my usual mode of only buying what I actually need at Costco.

Thanks. If it ever comes to it I'll be prepared.

They also used to let you just cash their annual check from the business membership at the front desk but no more. I used ours to get within about $10 of the total of the check and they did give me the rest back in cash.
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 13, 2022 05:43PM
Apple Card is my primary Apple Pay card. It has a pretty good cash rewards program and sends the rewards on a weekly basis. And you get a discount on Apple products when you use it.

I've never possessed, coveted, or even seen a physical Apple Card. I don't think the rewards are as generous on purchases made on the physical card.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 13, 2022 06:06PM
RAMd®d

I really like that, especially if a product is backordered, and the vendor doesn't charge the card right away.

Isn't this the law with respect to all credit cards?
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: January 13, 2022 07:02PM
I got one early on and use it all the time, much more than any other card. However, I've never once used the physical card. Just my phone or watch, and it's great. Highly recommend.
Date: January 13, 2022 07:08PM
Isn't this the law with respect to all credit cards?

Isn't what the law with respect to all cards?

That you're sent you a notification to your phone when they card is finally charged?

I think not.

On some cards it just shows up on your monthly statement.

I'm sure other cards do the same as the Apple Card in that respect.

As far as I know, it's a perk, not a law.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I am that Masked Man.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: mstudio
Date: January 13, 2022 07:18PM
I got one early on and use it all the time, much more than any other card. However, I've never once used the physical card. Just my phone or watch, and it's great. Highly recommend.

Except for the watch part, this is me.
Posted by: Diana
Date: January 13, 2022 07:23PM
Yes, I have one. It has basically supplanted my other cards; there are some caveats however. Some places won’t take Apple Pay so I have to use the physical card, and I have had it declined, as in “well, I have to key in your number and since it doesn’t have numbers on it I can’t use it” because, of course, they don’t have scanners. I am looking for another place for those services.

I like the rewards showing up on the Apple Cash card, and that I can use it as CASH and not rewards.

I also like that charges show up pretty fast on my phone/watch. About a month ago or so, a strange charge showed up from someplace that I haven’t been to nor purchased from in years. A quick note got things started and the number was changed on the card/account. No need to wait for a new card. Quick and painless. And yes, there have been a few other charges that have shown up (as declined—card number changed) from places that I didn’t know existed. So yes, the number can be compromised as any other card by the use of a card skimmer, but I didn’t have to wait until either the end of the billing cycle when I get the statement, or wait until it goes through before I can contest it.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 13, 2022 09:03PM
I got one when I bought my new iphone. Will likely use it only for apple purchases.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 13, 2022 09:18PM
I use it all the time in place of a debit card. I pay it off daily so it rarely carries a balance. I find that it's more secure than other credit cards and easier to shut down than a debit card. I don't use the actual card much, if at all. It's more for ApplePay on my watch/phone.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: January 13, 2022 10:05PM
It has basically supplanted my other cards; there are some caveats however. Some places won’t take Apple Pay so I have to use the physical card, and I have had it declined, as in “well, I have to key in your number and since it doesn’t have numbers on it I can’t use it” because, of course, they don’t have scanners.

This is one of only two reasons I carry a debit card and another credit card.

I may one day be someplace where a merchant's only payment system won't accept a card without numbed (one of the key reasons I wanted the card).

The other reason for carrying additional payment cards is one I experienced at Costco — while they take contactless payments, they don't take Apple Pay or Master Card.

So I use my Watch and a different card.

Using the Wallet on the Watch is a plus as I can select and pay with an accepted card faster than I can reach into my Wallet for a different physical card.

As Diana says, getting the spending rewards as cash is a plus.

I use it all the time in place of a debit card.

I too use my AC as though it were a debit card.

An early adopter, I've never paid interest on it, never, not once.

On occasion, I've carried some 'balance', that was incurred after the closing date.

The Apple Pay app easily shows what interest one will pay if they don't pay off the monthly charges, and what, if any, is the interest subject portion and what is not.

So there has been an occasion or two that I've left a sum 'unpaid' until the next month, always always always and only interest free amounts.

One bank's card sends me an email every month at the end of the billing cycle telling me how much I owe, and when it's due.

Handy, especially since it's a cluster f trying to find that information in its app.

Apple's app and knowing the bill is always due on the last day of the month makes managing payments quite easily.

I am that Masked Man.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 14, 2022 06:38AM
I like it. The interface is okay, and when I had issues with it the customer support was excellent.
Posted by: fauch
Date: January 17, 2022 05:47PM
I have and regularly use Apple Pay with all my other cards so I really have no use for the Apple Card. I don't buy enough from the Leader to make it worth keeping around.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 137
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020