The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
QR code scams on the rise. Think twice before you scan
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 13, 2022 01:51PM

QR code scams on the rise. Think twice before you scan
[www.cnet.com]

You see QR codes just about everywhere these days. The square barcodes show up everywhere: real estate listings, TV ads and social media posts touting what look like great deals on must-have items.

The pandemic fueled a surge in the use of QR codes. Seeking to cut down on possible transmission, restaurants replaced physical menus available to all customers with online versions accessible on your own personal phone. Scan that little square and you'll find out what the house special is.

Cybercriminals quickly took note and are starting to exploit the technology's undeniable convenience. Scammers are creating their own malicious QR codes designed to dupe unwitting consumers into handing over their banking or personal information.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: QR code scams on the rise. Think twice before you scan
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 13, 2022 05:16PM
Took them long enough.

I think I've used a QR scan maybe four times, and that was for airline boarding passes.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 13, 2022 05:46PM
Web QR Scanner with file just drag and drop or select your file
[4qrcode.com]
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 13, 2022 05:51PM
Huh. I just used one the other day. I bought the last model wireless router that Apple made, refurbed by a company and sold on Amazon.

It came in pristine condition, but with no paper instructions. It had their business card with a QR code on the back. I had to d/l a reader from the Apple store in order to read it. I got the complete instructions on setting up the router after scanning the code. I thought it was slick, but after reading this thread, maybe it's something I should't do?

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 13, 2022 07:15PM
Rick-o
I had to d/l a reader from the Apple store in order to read it.

Actually you don't need an app. Just use the standard camera app. Point at the QR code and a yellow link will show on the screen. Tap that and the link opens in Safari. It's quite easy.

I think QR codes are generally safe...if any one I scanned started asking for banking info or credit card info, I might pause and ask why. Usually a QR code is just going to link to a restaurant menu or instruction manual for something.

The CNET article is clickbait...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 13, 2022 07:17PM
Rick-o
I had to d/l a reader from the Apple store in order to read it...

The Camera app built into an iPhone will read a QR code and offer to send you to the appropriate website.

The Camera app has gotten pretty slick lately. It detected the barcode from my department of health vaccine cert and offered to add the vaccination-record to the wallet app.

...The scammers are primarily exploiting hurried people who reflexively go for the digital payment using a browser instead of cash, credit card or using a parking-app when they need to feed a parking meter. It's a fairly small subset of parkers, but when you multiply it by the size of the country it adds up quickly to a lot of money.

...Just be discreet and use your brain before scanning a barcode and visiting a site. Especially when the site is asking for personal information and a credit card number.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 13, 2022 08:52PM
Speaking of QR's, can somebody recommend a good, preferably really good, QR app for android phones?
Thanks.

I keep trying 'em, and so far they work like crap. Is it too much to hope to find one that works as good as the iPhone?
==
Posted by: DP
Date: January 14, 2022 06:17AM
Buzz
Speaking of QR's, can somebody recommend a good, preferably really good, QR app for android phones?
Thanks.

I keep trying 'em, and so far they work like crap. Is it too much to hope to find one that works as good as the iPhone?
==

I'm not sure what issues you're having, but on my Galaxy S10+ I just scan the QR code with my camera. No other app needed...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: January 14, 2022 08:15AM
Buzz
Thanks.

==

Well, I don't know if it's really good, but I've been happy with
"QR Code Reader and Scanner: App for Android" so far - it was the first one I've found that can handle when QR Code designers decide to invert the colors (presumably for aesthetics).
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 14, 2022 09:32AM
I use Lightning QR Reader/Scanner from Application4u.

I was at an event and the person asking me to take a questionnaire reviewing it, was surprised my phone didn't automatically jump to the page after pointing the camera at it. I was actually kind of relieved my phone doesn't do that.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 15, 2022 06:12AM
Buzz
Thanks.

==

If you have the Google search bar on your screen, and it's reasonably up to date, you tapthe camera icon at the right side and scan the code.

There should also be a microphone icon there that you can use to id songs, etc.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 15, 2022 05:23PM
DP- Old phone. stuck on Android 8, so camera app not enough...

SDGuy- There seem to be a few w/ that name, and none have impressed yet, even though our great minds seem to have already thunk alike on this.

Fill- Thanks for the homework project, will try in between. or after, honey-do's subside.

MBS- While (whatever vintage) google bar does scan, at present it only seems to do a google search rather than drill down/go directly to the subject of the QR code being scanned.....

IOW, I'm hoping there's an app that'll go directly to whatever's being scanned; is there such a thing?
Grazi
==
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 82
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020