advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Oven Cleaning - Self Cleaning or Spray Cleaner or Other
Posted by: spacescape
Date: January 14, 2022 08:14AM
Ok, we have a Frigidaire range that is about a year old. It has a airfryer option built in and last night my air-fried chicken kind of trashed the oven and smoked up the house. The pan I put under the air-fryer basket didn't help... ooops. I wiped it out but want to clean it good and "possibly" avoid air-frying for awhile. I did try the steam cleaner but there are some pretty bad spots so it didn't really do anything. So, debating smoking up the house again with the "self cleaning" option but thinking it might be best to just use easy off or another spray cleaner followed by the steamer. Any suggestions? I'm reading that I may want to avoid using the self cleaning option because it's hard on the oven. Not sure if this is True or not but I can imagine that 1000 degrees can't be great for a home appliance. I know I had a Jenn Air at my home around 2000 and when I sold the home I never was brave enough to try it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oven Cleaning - Self Cleaning or Spray Cleaner or Other
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 14, 2022 08:38AM
My self cleaning does not smoke up the house and is a modern miracle in my book. Growing up scrubbing the oven fell to me. Always hated it. Now it’s just a button away with much better results.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 14, 2022 08:53AM
Spacescape,

There are two kinds of self-cleaning. One is high heat. The other is steam cleaning. The system you have depends on your oven.

High heat systems burns residue until its ash. After the oven cools, you'll need to wipe down the interior with a damp towel to clean up any lingering residue.

The steam clean systems works with lower heat and water to loosen residue. You have to do a manual clean afterwards, which definitely requires more elbow grease than just a quick wipe down.

Look at the instructions for your oven and follow its guidance for self-cleaning and, if necessary, manual cleaning.

Robert
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 14, 2022 09:48AM
I say use the cleaning cycle. It works quite well although you may need to do a small amount of cleaning afterwards.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 14, 2022 10:19AM
If it is just a centralized spot of two, just spot clean with no-fume oven cleaner. If it is the whole bottom or sides, etc - then run the self-clean function.

mine can smoke pretty bad, so I tent some old towels from the hood vent and run it while the cleaning cycle is going. No smoky house.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: January 14, 2022 10:20AM
For future reference - long ago I put in an oven liner (just sitting on the bottom of the oven), and it definitely works; once it gets dirty, just wash it off and re-install.
It's been too many years for me to remember the exact one I got, but it's similar to this one at bezosville for $13.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 14, 2022 11:17AM
2nd the self clean and oven liner.
modern conveniences

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Date: January 14, 2022 12:08PM
Ok. Doing a two hour cleaning cycle now. House is kind of smelly. Oh well.
Date: January 14, 2022 12:38PM
spacescape
Ok. Doing a two hour cleaning cycle now. House is kind of smelly. Oh well.

I do wait until winter to run mine. It heats the kitchen up a bit and I may crack a window open.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: January 14, 2022 12:54PM
Don't want to deal with oven cleaner fumes? Put a paste of baking soda on it, let it soak for awhile and get a putty knife to scrap with.
Date: January 14, 2022 02:23PM
Well. House stinks and won’t be rushing to air fry again anytime soon but it looks great. Need to clean the window good. But yes, it stunk.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 14, 2022 02:37PM
I’ve always been afraid to use mine.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 14, 2022 03:32PM
for the interior window cleaning, what Lizabeth said.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is walking, standing or sleeping on my keyboard.
Date: January 14, 2022 03:40PM
Dennis S

decades ago I had a 1000+ mailing list that i managed using a copy machine and sheets of Avery labels. A friend offered to let me load the addresses into a database on her computer. It took me awhile to do the data entry but the first time her printer spit out the labels in zipcode order my eyes welled up with tears as i realized how much time it had saved and would save me going forward.

I had a similar reaction the first time I used the self-cleaning oven function. Oh Brave New World that has such appliances in it!

Fire it up. You won't regret it!

Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 14, 2022 07:46PM
I found that using foil in the bottom of my oven likely messed with the temp settings. It has hidden lower coils. Might be the same with those reuseable liners. Just an FYI.

I do self clean. Does get stinky, but honestly, you are just burning that nasty mess, so what were you expecting?

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 15, 2022 09:55AM
Dennis S

Yep, the traditional "high heat" self-clean often breaks the oven.

And people run it just before Thanksgiving dinner needs to go into the oven...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 113
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020