advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
New screen for old Mac
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 14, 2022 09:37PM

That's a Late 2008 13" ... the first unibody (so, no FireWire)

2.4 C2D, 4GB RAM, 500GB HD running El Capitan

It was my dad's years ago until the screen become defective. I kept it stored "just in case," and started to prep it for donation/recycle but had a change of heart when I found a banged-up screen for about $30 (my recent eBay rant the other day.) It ain't Retina but it'll do.

I might waste more money on it with a battery and SSD and see about using it for I don't know what. Or do the unofficial 8GB RAM upgrade. Maybe a dedicated recording machine if I ever get into that again or find anyone to record. I could sell a car and buy a Lynx HiLo. Or not.

Downloaded Opera; Safari was complaining about every website I visited. I couldn't even use Safari until I updated the date and time.

CDROM/DVD ... or second HD slot (neither of which I need)

a mic jack
ethernet
a button that tells you about the battery
a neat power button

ah the almost good ol days
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: New screen for old Mac
Posted by: lost in space
Date: January 14, 2022 09:57PM
Good save!

I'm on a 2009 MBP C2D, bought here for a song a few years ago. With a new $30 battery and SSD, it's fine for the web and email, and maintaining my web site. Pretty old tech, but a great value.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2022 09:58PM by lost in space.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 14, 2022 10:50PM
$25 on a small SSD would be a huge boost.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 15, 2022 12:52AM
I have a 2009 C2D 17" MBP which still works (other than it won't eject a DVD from its' SuperDrive). It was a CTO with the faster 3.06GHz processor. It was my main machine until I got the "Late 2011" 17" MBP (which has the video card problem). I ordered that MBP directly from Apple the day after Steve EOLed it in late June, 2012. That was the BEST Mac laptop I've owned (with my Pismo ranked as second best). boink smiley
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 15, 2022 06:41AM
Got a 2009 13er that I'm probably going to add an ssd to, given that it's our printer machine connection.

Save stuff!
Posted by: jonny
Date: January 15, 2022 10:32AM
jdc
$25 on a small SSD would be a huge boost.
agree smiley
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 15, 2022 11:37AM
Let's say I wanted to get a SSD and put El Capitan on it. I think that's the last this Mac will run. What are my options?

CCC over to an external, then swap drives? That won't be a fresh copy but I doubt it really matters.
Posted by: p8712
Date: January 15, 2022 05:59PM
deckeda
Let's say I wanted to get a SSD and put El Capitan on it. I think that's the last this Mac will run. What are my options?

CCC over to an external, then swap drives? That won't be a fresh copy but I doubt it really matters.

I have 2 parts machines of this model in storage, if you need anyhting else.

I ran mojave with no issues using the patch tool. Catalina will run fine, as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020