advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any experiences with DirecTV Streaming?
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 15, 2022 08:31AM
We've had UVerse for the last several years, and it's fine as far as it goes (nothing special, but better than Comcast). The Death Star sold off their TV division last year, and while UVerse is still operating for existing customers, the writing is on the wall. Price went way up this month after my last promotion ran out, and they aren't willing to back off much.

They're obviously trying to push customers to the new DirecTV Streaming service, it's quite a bit cheaper than Uverse and they're advertising "No future price hikes," currently it's $89/month (although they also charge an additional $10/month to get above a paltry 20 hours of storage on the cloud DVR, which is annoying). Sooner or later they're going to axe Uverse and force everybody to make a change, but what is the Forum's take on the DTVS service? I'd run it through an AppleTV.

How "wife-friendly" is the guide/menu, how does the DVR service work, reliability, etc.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any experiences with DirecTV Streaming?
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 15, 2022 10:13AM
I'd compare it to YouTubeTV, which seems to be the standard as far as DVR goes.

EDIT: forgot to add this [www.reviews.org]

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2022 10:53AM by Rolando.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 15, 2022 11:00AM
We have it, no problems at all. Really dig the fact that I can put a TV anywhere I want.... and no special remote. We are only paying $60 something, We don't do much recording. 20 hours of TV seems like a lot to me, like I couldn't sit and watch 20 hours of TV, but not everyone is me ;)

Interface seems no more or less cumbersome than any other service we have used including Uverse and old DirectTV.

Is your TV a "smart" one? If so, its just an app, you can bypass the ATV

Any chance you can get FiOS too? Bundle deals are pretty good.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 15, 2022 01:31PM
jdc
We have it, no problems at all. Really dig the fact that I can put a TV anywhere I want.... and no special remote. We are only paying $60 something, We don't do much recording. 20 hours of TV seems like a lot to me, like I couldn't sit and watch 20 hours of TV, but not everyone is me ;)

Interface seems no more or less cumbersome than any other service we have used including Uverse and old DirectTV.

Is your TV a "smart" one? If so, its just an app, you can bypass the ATV

Any chance you can get FiOS too? Bundle deals are pretty good.

The TV was smart when I bought it in 2013, but it's pretty damn dumb now. Will stick with an external box regardless of which way we go.

We have ATT Fiber for internet, the bundle deals appear to be reasonable.
Posted by: stephen
Date: January 15, 2022 01:54PM
Big fan. Have stuck with it through all the name changes and price hikes.

It has become more stable and reliable over time.

Biggest appeal for me is that I can use one account in BHM and ATL.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 15, 2022 06:07PM
They dropped OAN, so that is a good sign.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 15, 2022 06:42PM
We have the 300/300 FiOS (plenty) and the base TV plan bundled. Been fine since day one. Which isnt something I can say when we had Comcast for 6 months. ugh.

3 TVs, 4 iPhones, 2 MBAs, 2 minis, 1 imac, 2 iPads + a couple of alexa speakers -- smooth as silk.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: January 16, 2022 01:41PM
I had from its original launch until 3 days ago. My plan was fantastic and grandfathered in (no longer offered), but after another $10/month rate hike and decrease in cost of YouTubeTV for T-Mobile users, jumped ship. Overall, the service has been great, but the DVR is limited to 20 hours unless you pony up another $10/month for unlimited.

I also have AT&T Fiber, which keeps going up in cost, but they throw in HBOMax for my plan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 60
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020