advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any Plex users? Seems like it would be largely replaced by by streaming services
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 15, 2022 11:40AM
Just curious if anyone is running a Plex server and if so, why? I'm thinking about setting one up to make it easier to watch some professional videos on my AppleTV. Seems like most Plex server usage would likely be replaced by streaming services although I'm sure some people have their own personal collections of movies and tv shows.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any Plex users? Seems like it would be largely replaced by by streaming services
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 15, 2022 12:17PM
I use it daily. I have several tb of my own personal collections of movies and tv shows.

Re: Any Plex users? Seems like it would be largely replaced by by streaming services
Posted by: Carm
Date: January 15, 2022 12:41PM
Use it to upload old dvd movies I don’t feel are worth $15 + to purchase digitally or aren’t available to purchase digitally. The titles that aren’t available from Vudu with Disc to Digital ( their service allows you to “convert” titles you already own in physical disc form to digital movie on their site for $2 to $5 each. With movie UPC code scan. 100 titles a year). If the movies come up on my wishlist go on sale then I purchase and delete on my Plex server. Have digital titles on iTunes/MoviesAnywhere/Vudu. We also have Hulu/Disney combo. PBS streaming via yearly donation and paramount plus. We share Netflix with my in-laws

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2022 12:46PM by Carm.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 15, 2022 01:29PM
I use Infuse, very much prefer it over Plex. There's no server component (any shared drive on the network will work), and it doesn't have the annoying Plex-isms in the interface, media sorting, etc. As close as I've found to the old simple Front Row interface, and it plays pretty much everything I've thrown at it.
Date: January 16, 2022 05:24AM
Media sorting is one of the biggest reasons I love Plex. I just toss stuff in a folder and Plex does the rest.

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 16, 2022 08:03AM
bazookaman
Media sorting is one of the biggest reasons I love Plex. I just toss stuff in a folder and Plex does the rest.

I've already got my media sorted the way I want it. I can't stand Plex reshuffling everything to the way the Plex devs prefer (and making all kinds of weird mistakes along the way). One of the most annoying things about the platform to me, but obviously YMMV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2022 08:04AM by Will Collier.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 16, 2022 09:41AM
I have a large library of movies and tv episodes. Many are difficult to find. Right now I'm watching Hawaiian Eye from 1959. Using plex we can stream our shows throughout the house or even outside the house. The kids can download shows to their iOS devices without all the clumsiness and hassle of iTunes. Overall I really like Plex but I will admit the smart playlists are difficult compared to iTunes.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Date: January 16, 2022 10:32AM
I've got regular playlists, smart playlists, and collections set up as well as everything divided by genre. It works well. I feel like setting up the playlists could be better. But you just set it and forget it. So its handy.

I should also say that the biggest advantage Plex has over any streaming service is that it works with no internet. I can still stream all may movies and tv shows to anyone in my house, even if there's no internet connection. Obviously have to have power. But thats it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2022 10:34AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: January 16, 2022 02:53PM
bazookaman
I use it daily. I have several tb of my own personal collections of movies and tv shows.

Same here. To play my "personal" collection of movies and TV shows

richorlin
Posted by: John B.
Date: January 16, 2022 03:47PM
Agree with all of the others. One of the Covid Year 1 projects was to rip all of my DVD media to a NAS and Plex serves it up to Roku boxes.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 159
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020