advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Question for MRF Home Audio Mavens
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 15, 2022 12:15PM
My project for the day is setting up a stereo system inherited from my brother.

The receiver is an Aiwa AV-DV70. The tower speakers are Acoustic Research but I can't find a marking anywhere that says which model. googling images they look like AR94 but pics of those show speaker connections on the back; these have speaker connectors on the bottom. I'm going to assume it's in the AR94 family.

The Aiwa has selectable impedance of 8 or 4 ohms. Specs i found for the AR94 says impedance is 6 ohms so what setting should I try on the Aiwa? I found a user manual for the Aiwa so I think I'd use the front speaker connectors.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Question for MRF Home Audio Mavens
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 15, 2022 12:23PM
General rules of thumb:

Use the 8 Ohm connectors/setting unless your speakers are specifically listed as 4 Ohm units. For those, choose 4.
Hook up to the Front speaker connectors. Unknown if the rear connectors will receive full power but front are always the primaries.
Date: January 15, 2022 12:26PM
Manual: [www.hifiengine.com]

It's a surround amp like my old Onkyo, so definitely hook up to the Front speaker connectors. Make sure output is set to Stereo, not Surround, or the center will be cut out and everything will sound funny.

But not Rodney Dangerfield funny, or I'd suggest to use that.
Date: January 15, 2022 12:32PM
Here is a pair if AR94s with the connectors on the bottom like you describe:

[acoustic-research-ar-94s.blogspot.com]

And they mention that they have an impedance dip to 2.9 Ohms, though they don't mention in what part of the Frequency range. If in the bass region, then you may want to use the 4 Ohm taps on the Amp.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 15, 2022 01:41PM
With a manufacturer rating of 6 Ohms, it shouldn't be a problem using either setting as long as you don't turn the volume up really loud. I found a review in High Fidelity from October, 1980 that said the impedance dip is at 150 Hz but their reading/calculation was 4.8 Ohms. IIRC, the distortion should be incrementally lower at the 4 Ohm setting, and the maximum volume should be higher at the 8 Ohm setting.

http: //www.vintage-hifi-classics.de/assets/plugindata/poola/ar94.pdf

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 15, 2022 02:04PM
I would go 8 ohms but you’d better listen to the experts.
Date: January 15, 2022 02:13PM
I'm thinking something in these speakers are toast as there is distortion in the lower mid-range.

As far as I can figure in the manual whether you are using surround sound is controlled by the Dolby Pro Logic button and I think I've set that to off. There's also a notice that flashes "Over Level" periodically even though I may have the volume set at 2. This flashes whether impedance is set to 8 or 4.

I have my Marantz receiver. Maybe I'll hook the speakers up to that and see what occurs.

I appreciate the help.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 15, 2022 02:32PM
graylocks, I'll offer one off-topic suggestion on those old AR speakers.
Get some SuperLube gel and using your finger gently coat the surrounds of
all four woofers. I've been treating my vintage Yamaha NS-10 fronts every year
& they show no signs of dryness/cracking or loss of response.
Cheap 'insurance' for < $5 @ bezosville (+lots of household/auto uses)

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 15, 2022 02:49PM
Ahh, the travails of using 35-40 year old audio equipment...

Could be a problem with either the receiver or the speakers.
- My brother loaned/gifted me a receiver. I realized why he never asked for it back when I noticed it has a low volume hum (bad caps or a burned transistor).
- 30 years ago I recommended Infinity speakers to a former GF. 15 years later the woofer cones almost fell out of the cabinets due to surround rot. My 45 year old Infinity speakers are still fine. dunno smiley

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: January 15, 2022 09:45PM
I hooked the ARs up to my old faithful receiver (which is an Onkyo not a Marantz turns out) and the speakers are distorted so I think they are toast. Big Duh moment when I realized the Onkyo had a headphone jack. CD player through that sounded as expected. The turntable through the headphone jack was awful so either I need a new needle/cartridge on the B&O or it's toast also.

I did go back and listen to the CD player through headphones on the Aiwa. Sound was fine though I still saw the overload alert at a low volume setting. I think i'll have to bid farewell to that part of my bro's legacy.

On a related note i also set up a pair of Yamaha HS7 Studio Monitors with my iMac. Wow! Big difference from the Logitech Z623 System, 2.1 Speaker System i've had for years. Other than the connectors, what is the difference between something considered a studio monitor and something considered a bookshelf speaker?

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 16, 2022 03:08AM
graylocks
The turntable through the headphone jack was awful so either I need a new needle/cartridge on the B&O or it's toast also.

You did connect the turntable to the receiver using the phono input, right?

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2022 03:08AM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: January 16, 2022 08:17AM
N-OS X-tasy!
graylocks
The turntable through the headphone jack was awful so either I need a new needle/cartridge on the B&O or it's toast also.

You did connect the turntable to the receiver using the phono input, right?

yep. even bothered to connect the ground. took a quick look at B&O cartridges. yikes! i think this resurrecting my living room audio needs to go on a back burner for now.

Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 16, 2022 10:06PM
Did you visually inspect all woofers? If any have disintegrated/dried-out surrounds, they’ll sound awful. It’s a fairly easy fix with a kit of new surrounds.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 17, 2022 08:39AM
Check out Grado for cartridges. Even their least expensive should be good.
Posted by: kj
Date: January 17, 2022 09:23AM
graylocks
I hooked the ARs up to my old faithful receiver (which is an Onkyo not a Marantz turns out) and the speakers are distorted so I think they are toast. Big Duh moment when I realized the Onkyo had a headphone jack. CD player through that sounded as expected. The turntable through the headphone jack was awful so either I need a new needle/cartridge on the B&O or it's toast also.

I did go back and listen to the CD player through headphones on the Aiwa. Sound was fine though I still saw the overload alert at a low volume setting. I think i'll have to bid farewell to that part of my bro's legacy.

On a related note i also set up a pair of Yamaha HS7 Studio Monitors with my iMac. Wow! Big difference from the Logitech Z623 System, 2.1 Speaker System i've had for years. Other than the connectors, what is the difference between something considered a studio monitor and something considered a bookshelf speaker?

Generally, studio monitors are supposed to be "flat" or uncolored, so they aren't tuned to sound "fun" (more bass, more treble, low mid boost for punch, etc.). Some studio monitors are used because they tend to reveal problem areas where there can be muddiness or harshness, and many find these to be irritating to listen to for enjoyment, but that's only a few.

If it sounds good, it is good though, so if you like the sound, that's all that matters. I tend to like studio monitors, but most people would rather have more exciting sound. Since you're a musician, I tend to think you would like the sound of studio monitors. I do have some speakers that are tuned to have nice midrange (not flat per se, but the classic British sound) that I like though...
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 21, 2022 08:12AM
Other than the connectors, what is the difference between something
considered a studio monitor and something considered a bookshelf speaker?

One big difference with the Yamaha HS7 is it's powered (active).
Most 'bookshelf speakers' are passive and not designed to have flat response.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020