advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Netflix raising prices again
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 15, 2022 01:37PM
The Netflix standard plan for U.S. subscribers has increased from $13.99 to $15.49 per month. Subscribers will see the change on their next bill.

[www.yahoo.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Netflix raising prices again
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 15, 2022 01:46PM
On top fo the price-hike, Netflix requires the Widevine plugin on a Mac and Google's latest update to the Widevine plugin is a broken piece of steaming garbage.

Netflix won't play anymore from any of my Macs with the latest browsers.

Can barely coax it into playing on anything other than a Roku lately, and I abhor the Roku interface.

I'm ready to drop Netflix.

Posted by: Michael
Date: January 15, 2022 02:00PM
We get Netflix Basic free through T-Mobile. I wonder if they'll start charging something if the price to T-Mobile goes up.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 15, 2022 02:57PM
Got Netflix now on promo and the biggest consumer of my time is not the new shows, it has been Star Trek shows. TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise are all on there. When the promo runs out, I don't think I will continue the service.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 15, 2022 03:03PM
Tiangou
On top fo the price-hike, Netflix requires the Widevine plugin on a Mac and Google's latest update to the Widevine plugin is a broken piece of steaming garbage.

Can barely coax it into playing on anything other than a Roku lately, and I abhor the Roku interface.

When or which version of the OS/Safari did they add a requirement for Widevine? II have no problems playing Netflix on my MBP running Mojave and Safari 14.1.2. No Widevine on this MBP.

Also Netflix plays just fine on my AppleTV 4th gen.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: January 15, 2022 03:24PM
Amazon Prime Video seems a bargain in comparison.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 15, 2022 04:06PM
It's to be expected with the rise in gasoline prices.
/s

Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 15, 2022 04:28PM
JoeH
Tiangou

When or which version of the OS/Safari did they add a requirement for Widevine? II have no problems playing Netflix on my MBP running Mojave and Safari 14.1.2. No Widevine on this MBP.

Also Netflix plays just fine on my AppleTV 4th gen.

You're right that Netflix uses html5 when you play in Safari. But there's another problem there. Safari doesn't detect any of my displays as HDCP compliant when trying to stream Netflix. (This problem has been going on since High Sierra.) Which is one reason for me using Firefox.

Chrome uses Widevine (for obvious reasons) so, same boat there.

Took a couple of days of work (for which IMHO, Netflix owes me some money for my time and efforts) to find that I could use Opera to stream Netflix. But Opera only has a 50/50 chance of success. If it makes it past about 15 seconds into any movie/tv show then I'll be able to watch the whole show. But much of the time it will start to play and then a few seconds in will stop playing and drop me at a support page with any of several error codes that amount to a warning that DRM needs to be enabled.

...And I don't have an AppleTV. I use a bunch of them at work and I hate the interface on the AppleTV with a fiery passion.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2022 04:31PM by Tiangou.
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 15, 2022 04:37PM
Ugh. I don’t think I have gotten an email about that yet.
I can view Netflix through a dedicated channel on our Dish Hopper, but I am not happy about the price bump.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: January 15, 2022 04:46PM
A Netflix spokesperson confirmed the change. “We’re updating our prices so that we can continue to offer a wide variety of quality entertainment options,” the spokesperson said in a statement.

Silly MRFers, it’s not a price increase, it’s a price update.

Posted by: JPK
Date: January 15, 2022 05:32PM
If they are trying to push it to see at what point they lose 35% of their subscribers, they might be successful this time.
JPK
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 15, 2022 06:12PM
It's only a little bit higher than the annualized inflation rate.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 15, 2022 06:35PM
frog, meet stock pot.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 15, 2022 06:43PM
pRICE cUBE
Got Netflix now on promo and the biggest consumer of my time is not the new shows, it has been Star Trek shows. TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise are all on there. When the promo runs out, I don't think I will continue the service.

I believe only TNG and DS9 are still on Netflix for free. As of January 1, the rest are now locked to Paramount+. (which is $5/month)

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: lost in space
Date: January 15, 2022 07:25PM
This could spell the end of a long, unsatisfying relationship. We hardly look at NF anymore, mostly hulu and Amazon Prime.

So long, Netflix.

Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 15, 2022 07:28PM
Ombligo
pRICE cUBE

I believe only TNG and DS9 are still on Netflix for free. As of January 1, the rest are now locked to Paramount+. (which is $5/month)

Oh, since that date I have only been watching TNG and DS9. I caught the other series in December.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: SteveO
Date: January 16, 2022 08:23AM
NF will soon enough become $30/month. The new "ripoff cable provider."
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 16, 2022 08:56AM
Tiangou

Yeah, this will probably do it for me too.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: January 16, 2022 02:47PM
Tiangou

Netflix plays fine win our Amazon Fire stick.

richorlin
Posted by: d4
Date: January 16, 2022 03:49PM
I've heard of people using Netflix for 15 years. But never knew how much it costs ;)

Posted by: decay
Date: January 16, 2022 04:01PM
[www.t-mobile.com]

Earlier today, Netflix rolled out their new pricing structure. Rest assured, your Netflix is still on us! The Netflix benefit included in your plan remains on us.

If you’ve upgraded your Netflix on Us (e.g. to Standard or Premium), you will see Netflix’ price change reflected on your T-Mobile bill starting as their changes go into effect. If you’d like to change your T-Mobile plan to start getting Netflix on Us, you can do that in My T-Mobile.

---
Posted by: Maddog
Date: January 17, 2022 03:23PM
Before you drop Netflix, you may want to watch "Power of the Dog". Excellent movie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 96
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020