The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Australian tennis in five acts...
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 16, 2022 01:56AM
Previous 4 Acts: [forums.macresource.com]

ACT 5 - (curtain) He goes home and cannot return for 3 years. [www.nytimes.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2022 02:20AM by RgrF.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Australian tennis in five acts...
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: January 16, 2022 02:33AM
Dumb @#$%&
Posted by: wave rider
Date: January 16, 2022 02:42AM
thumbs up

=wr=
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 16, 2022 02:47AM

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 16, 2022 09:02AM
Cheers mate!
Posted by: jonny
Date: January 16, 2022 09:32AM
3 years! That’s gotta hurt.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 16, 2022 11:05AM
Serbia prepares for war with Oz.

Serbia’s president has said Novak Djokovic had been “harassed … but not humiliated” and the prime minister called his treatment “scandalous” as the world tennis No 1’s home country reacted furiously to his deportation from Australia.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 16, 2022 12:29PM
What =wr= said.
==
Posted by: kj
Date: January 17, 2022 09:04AM
He's still the best player to ever play. He'll win more majors this year and set records etc., but it's too bad he's decided this is going to be a large part of his legacy. The Australian Open should have stuck to their guns from the very beginning. Instead, it ended up in the hands of politicians, who did what they do best, make a friggin' mess.

He's been disliked for most of his career for really no good reason (maybe his looks?), so I think it's really unfortunate he's gone this route. I don't think he's a terrible person. A lot of it is his culture though, since Serbia tends to view vaccines similarly.
n/t
Date: January 17, 2022 09:04AM
n/t

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2022 09:05AM by kj.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 17, 2022 10:54AM
kj
He'll win more majors this year and set records etc.

...or not -- the French Open has already announced he will not be allowed to play if he is not vaccinated.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 17, 2022 11:01AM
kj
He's been disliked for most of his career for really no good reason (maybe his looks?)...

He's a narcissist and a bully and he says lots of mean things particularly about female players.

And he's not just antivax, but very vocally and demonstrably so, pushing disinformation and having parties and staging publicity stunts that turned into superspreader events. One reason that Australia wanted him out was that they don't want to be seen as endorsing him in any way. He kills people with his vile behavior.

People respect his talent, but few respect him as a person.

A lot of players are undoubtedly grateful that he's not gonna be there this year just because he's such a jerk. It'll be a load off not seeing him in the locker rooms and press-events. They'll play better in his absence.

Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: January 17, 2022 11:21AM
Statistically he could certainly be regarded as the GOAT…but Federer is a far more complete player, his game is stunning in its variety (extraordinary serves, volleys, drop shots, slices, etc) and beauty. What’s more, Federer made the effort to conquer his temper, which was a weakness early in his career. Djokovic’s temper tantrums have always been embarrassing, and they have not abated as he’s grown older.

Date: January 17, 2022 11:42AM
"He's a narcissist and a bully and he says lots of mean things particularly about female players. "

Some of this seems like opinion that would be hard to back up. For one, he played for a long long time before covid, and has never been liked by crowds, etc. and a lot of players have come out over time saying they don't feel it's fair. Since covid, some players have expressed frustration with him, although quite a few others support him in many ways. But that's just a couple years out of many years. I've never seen him say particularly mean things, or disparage women players, but I don't follow him on twitter or anything either, so perhaps I've missed things. But that would surprise me.

As far as him being very vocally antivax, I'd like to see some quotes too. He seems very private about it to me, as many had no idea whether he was vaxxed or not (but suspected). I have not seen him say anything more than, "It's a personal choice."

Also, as far as players go, he's been very active and vocal (for real) advocating for spreading prize money to lower ranked players, etc., so many players have expressed thanks to him for that. It makes me sad Nadal and Federer have taken positions that support the status quo of almost all money going to the top few players.

"They'll play better in his absence."

Only in the sense that they might finish higher because he won't be beating them. I don't believe for a minute that his behavior has been poor enough over the years to be a major distraction to any particular players. Not compared to what goes on regularly.

My take is that Federer and Nadal are absolutely beloved, for good reason, and people have been looking for reasons to discount his success to protect their positions as GOATs for a long time. I would much rather one of them be considered GOAT, but I've had to concede that Djokavic is probably better. Now that there is a legitimate beef with him though, people are all over it with vigor that is probably a bit much.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 17, 2022 11:44AM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
What’s more, Federer made the effort to conquer his temper, which was a weakness early in his career. Djokovic’s temper tantrums have always been embarrassing, and they have not abated as he’s grown older.

Temper? What's wrong with having a temper!!

That ball was on the LINE!! ARE YOU BLIND?!?!?

WHAT TEMPER?!?!!

Date: January 17, 2022 12:16PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Statistically he could certainly be regarded as the GOAT…but Federer is a far more complete player, his game is stunning in its variety (extraordinary serves, volleys, drop shots, slices, etc) and beauty. What’s more, Federer made the effort to conquer his temper, which was a weakness early in his career. Djokovic’s temper tantrums have always been embarrassing, and they have not abated as he’s grown older.

I love Fed, but head to head, Nole wins 27 to 23. The GOAT thing is impossible, but I have an increasingly hard time seeing how Fed is better. Different styles, Fed is a nicer player to watch, but beauty isn't the same as the best. Is Nadal the best clay court player of all time? Absolutely no question. Not even the tiniest question. If only ranking everything were so easy.

Most players break racquets. It's a hyper-competitive, high pressure sport. There are way more combative players, Djokovic just breaks racquets. Fed had a REAL temper problem, and he did take care of that, largely. But he never quit abusing racquets. I think Paire is probably the current best at racquet abuse, but at least to me, its almost entertaining, not threatening in any way.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: January 17, 2022 01:06PM
Djokovic is a remarkable athlete, he returns balls most players couldn’t even reach. He has without a doubt the best return of serve in history. He grinds his opponents down. But his game is ultimately not as interesting to watch. In my experience, people who played competitive tennis (whether professionally or as amateurs) consider Federer the most gifted player they have ever seen.

Your comments regarding the temper issues of Federer and Djokovic are simply inaccurate; Djokovic smashes balls into the stands, into the throat of a linesperson at the US Open, etc. Djokovic destroys racquets far more often than Federer. You think destroying racquets is almost entertaining…an odd point of view to me, but to each his/her own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2022 01:11PM by Yoyodyne ArtWorks.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: January 17, 2022 01:29PM
Agree with you about Federer (on both points).
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 17, 2022 02:13PM
Lux Interior
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
What’s more, Federer made the effort to conquer his temper, which was a weakness early in his career. Djokovic’s temper tantrums have always been embarrassing, and they have not abated as he’s grown older.

Temper? What's wrong with having a temper!!

That ball was on the LINE!! ARE YOU BLIND?!?!?

WHAT TEMPER?!?!!

You read my mind. smiling smiley

It is what it is.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 17, 2022 07:28PM
kj
"He's a narcissist and a bully and he says lots of mean things particularly about female players. "

Some of this seems like opinion that would be hard to back up...

Or you could take a few minutes and Google for it.

He's notoriously violent. He physically attacks judges. He frequently baits people on women's issues and refuses to acknowledge that female tennis players have any skills.

And again, he created super-spreader events to stroke his own ego. What part of "he killed people" aren't you getting?

It seems to me that you're defending him without having any knowledge of him. Even his most ardent fans will usually acknowledge that he's an a-hole.

Date: January 18, 2022 02:17AM
Tiangou
kj

Some of this seems like opinion that would be hard to back up...

Or you could take a few minutes and Google for it.

He's notoriously violent. He physically attacks judges. He frequently baits people on women's issues and refuses to acknowledge that female tennis players have any skills.

And again, he created super-spreader events to stroke his own ego. What part of "he killed people" aren't you getting?

It seems to me that you're defending him without having any knowledge of him. Even his most ardent fans will usually acknowledge that he's an a-hole.

I may know what you are talking about, but your descriptions are way off. He made comments in Indian Wells that I remember were controversial, but that's a far cry from him saying female tennis players have no skills. That is not accurate. Notoriously violent? Ridiculous. You're going to have to back that up. Physically attacks judges? You mean accidently hit a line judge with a tennis ball? Wildly misleading description of what happened. Super-spreader event(s)? One event that I know of, and hardly a "super spreader". How many people caught covid at his event? A few players. He killed people? Ridiculous. How do you know he did it to stroke his own ego? It was a fundraiser. You have no idea why he organized that tournament. Plus, he has admitted a million times it was a mistake (it was). Narcissists don't do that, period.

Fed will always be my favorite, but Djokovic is a better player. For that matter, I think Nadal is probably a better player as well. Nadal beat Fed when Fed was in his prime, at Wimbledon. Fed never beat Nadal at Roland Garros. Obviously, there will never be agreement on such things, but "most people who are good at tennis say Fed is the best" doesn't really convince me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 90
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020