advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Stormy Weather! How about a roll call...
Posted by: DP
Date: January 16, 2022 06:29AM
...for those of you forumites in it's path. Still have power? Ice? Snow? Just rain and/or nothing like what was predicted?

Here in SE lower MI it's just a Winter morning at 5ºF and calm.

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Stormy Weather! How about a roll call...
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 16, 2022 07:41AM
Up early this morning, sleep patterns are way off right now, and the wind was howling all night. News said it was at 46mph in downtown ATL which is tropical storm strength.
We had about 1/2” of rain. They say the temp is going to drop and we should get maybe an inch of snow later.
Hopefully the wind won’t cause any power outages from downed trees. They seem to think our area will hopefully have minimal ice/freezing rain and I certainly hope they are right. Ice is awful.
Tomorrow morning we might have black ice on the roads but I don’t plan to go out anyway.
I made a carafe of cold brew last night so that I will have caffeine available if we do lose power.
Right now, I can’t face the idea of having to go without coffee.
Just started raining again.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 16, 2022 08:06AM
Very windy here, but just rain so far. I understand it's snowing at the AL/GA state line right now, so it shouldn't be much longer until we see the white stuff.

I'm fortunate to live in a rare Atlanta neighborhood with in-ground utilities, power very rarely goes out for us (knock wood), but if it does we have gas fireplaces and two very large dogs...
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: January 16, 2022 08:11AM
It was supposed to start here three hours ago (6 am) but just started a little while ago. Very small flakes, but coming down heavily.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Date: January 16, 2022 08:17AM
Just started hailing here, but stopped pretty quickly. No idea what’s up next.

Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: January 16, 2022 08:20AM
Nothing in Nelson county VA yet. Feels like snow tho.

Bathtub is filled
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 16, 2022 08:21AM
Checking in from the now calm side...haven't seen rain or snow since December 30th. High today of 46°....sigh.

Feel free to send snow back our way.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: January 16, 2022 08:23AM
Markintosh
Checking in from the now calm side...haven't seen rain or snow since December 30th. High today of 46°....sigh.

Thought you all had gotten feet of snow!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 16, 2022 08:27AM
DP
Markintosh

Thought you all had gotten feet of snow!

We did, then the tap shut off. The west is now stuck under high pressure while the trough has settled into the east. The 6 feet of snow in my backyard has now melted, sublimated and condensed into about three feet of almost ice.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: January 16, 2022 08:32AM
Got it...

Posted by: MindMeld
Date: January 16, 2022 08:32AM
Brevard , NC

6-7 inches accumulation so far. Temp 25 degrees. Small flakes coming down lightly but steadily. If I knew how to post pictures I could show you our Winter Wonderland,
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: January 16, 2022 08:52AM
Western Mass here, just clear sky and sub zero wind chills yesterday and today.
For me, tonight starts the snow, rain sleet mix.
Should be waking up to 3-6 inches on the ground.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 16, 2022 08:59AM
Snowing now: Hothlanta has begun.

Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 16, 2022 09:05AM
Upstate South Carolina

Couple of inches of pretty snow. 28 degrees. Have spotted 15 types of birds at and around the feeders and pond. Dog loves it.

As long as the power stays on we'll just enjoy the scenery.

Stay safe everyone.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: January 16, 2022 09:05AM
I got a Rock, says Charlie Brown.

All we have is rain, rain, rain. censored smiley

Was hoping for a little snow in SC. Kids asked for snow for Xmas. No such thing, here.
Posted by: archipirata
Date: January 16, 2022 09:06AM
Nothing here yet (10amEST) in southeast OH. Getting colder, snow supposed to start early afternoon and continue until tomorrow morning with accumulation up to 1"/hr. Total of 6-10" expected.

Where my daughter lives in western PA, the forecast is 8-12"

Athens, OH
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: January 16, 2022 09:13AM
I was able to walk outside in a T-shirt last night.
This morning, about 3 inches of snow on the ground.
Still have utilities.
Upstate SC.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 16, 2022 09:21AM
Mostly bypassed South Texas. Saturday was very windy, but dry.

But word of near freezing temps spooked grocery store shoppers. Lots of stuff mostly cleaned out. After last years Failure of Power Regulators, I can't say I blame them. People stocking up on wood, water, canned goods.

It's gonna by 65 today.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: Bernie
Date: January 16, 2022 09:27AM
Just started here. 16º and mostly fine snow. West End of Staunton.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: January 16, 2022 09:42AM
Snowing here in the north ATL burbs.

Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 16, 2022 10:30AM
We got a couple inches this AM in central NC. It's been sleeting for several hours now. Calling for freezing rain this evening on into the night. So it should be a countywide sh!tshow in the morning. I hate ice.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 16, 2022 10:56AM
Just cold here in Northern L.P. of MI. I got up at 3am and it was -5º with a low of -11º forecast for the low.

I woke up this morning and again, it was -5º

We're up to 14º right now, which is pretty much the high for today.

As I always say, cold is better than snow. You don't have to shovel cold.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 16, 2022 10:57AM
Shorts and a light sweater. Going to mow the lawn. Sorry.

Markintosh snow is exactly as I mentioned a week/ten days ago. Prob is keeping it. =(

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2022 10:59AM by jdc.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 16, 2022 11:11AM
Central Arkansas (near Little Rock):

Saturday PM into Sunday: got some cold rain after sundown, then sleet, then big fluffy snow around 1 or 2 AM. Windy.

Sunday AM: This morning it's still cold with a powerful breeze; woke up to temps around freezing but wind chill about 25F or so. Sunny and clear. Only evidence of snow/sleet is the spots the sun hasn't hit yet.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 16, 2022 11:17AM
Be careful if you go out. Research shows the most accidents happen when there is less than 4 inches of snow.

I am not sure if people take it as a challenge to continue on as normal, or businesses won't give people the day off if it's even remotely possible to drive on the main roads.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 16, 2022 11:23AM
Sun is shining, the weather is sweet.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 16, 2022 11:27AM
The worst driving conditions I experience most often are when a sharp cold front moves in over wet roads and glazes everything.

Here in the 'Burgh we're expected to get busted in the chops, 6 to 13". It has not started yet as I write this. Probably a couple hours yet before it begins about 4 PM.

Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 16, 2022 12:24PM
To heck w/ Story Weather! How 'bout brightening up the day w/ some Stormy Daniels!

==
Posted by: richorlin
Date: January 16, 2022 12:47PM
Here in the western part of Fairfax County VA, the temp is 27 and although the flakes are small, the snow has already covered the pavement in the past hour. Our utilities are underground, so we should be okay. Both refrigerator/freezers are full, so we'll live. Also have about five gallons of bottled water, just in case.

richorlin
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 16, 2022 12:50PM
Nice day with 23° and a light breeze as we head out the door for our daily walk.

We had only three inches of snow on Friday. I was cleaning up the neighborhood with my blower yesterday for about four hours. I clear a walking path, the fire hydrants (we had already had snow and the hydrants are really hard to access after the plows come through) and blow next to mailboxes for the postal carrier’s vehicle. The postal carrier has stopped to thank me several times through the years.

Once the snow buries the hydrants the fire department has to go around shoveling the snow - not fun. The owner of the property adjacent to the hydrant is supposed to remove the snow but it is tough shoveling plow-compacted snow and regular snowblowers have a hard time maneuvering the curbs and the snow banks as well as first breaking through the compacted snow banks. My blower is four-wheel drive (and the blower itself is shaft driven for the hard pack) so I can get at them easily enough to clear on three sides so the homeowners can more easily shovel them clear - if they want.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: January 16, 2022 01:07PM
In Hamburg, New York just south of Buffalo, It was 2 degrees during my bathroom run. Supposed to get about 15” of snow starting at 8:00 pm tonight. It is currently 36 degrees.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2022 01:08PM by Dennis R.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: January 16, 2022 01:36PM
Will Collier
I'm fortunate to live in a rare Atlanta neighborhood with in-ground utilities, power very rarely goes out for us (knock wood), but if it does we have gas fireplaces and two very large dogs...

Two dogs should do it as the likelihood of a three dog night in the Atlanta area is very low. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

And that Star Wars mashup pic was really funny.

Here in mid Michigan, while it's been cold, we've had two sunny days in a row. Sunshine in this area is rare in the winter. Two in a row is very rare.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 16, 2022 01:51PM

!#$@@$#!

Date: January 16, 2022 02:02PM
Snowflakes are getting really big here now. They look like cotton balls dropping from the sky. It is starting to stick.

Posted by: testcase
Date: January 16, 2022 02:18PM
Greeneville, TN 1530 hours. Light rain, 35F degrees
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 16, 2022 02:26PM
3:38 PM, just saw the first snowflakes.

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: January 16, 2022 02:27PM
So far we've dodged the freezing rain bullet in west central North Carolina. We've had 3" of snow and sleet and still sleeting, supposed to go to snow later this evening. More snow coming Thurs. and Fri. they say. The low overnight was 19F. and the high has been 31 at midnight. Currently 28. Barometer is fairly low at 29.42/996.3mb and dropping.

Grateful11
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: January 16, 2022 02:41PM
Snow coming down heavy in Nelson county, VA about 5 inches of powder. Which is great if you’re a skier.

But it’s the ice and sleet behind it that worries me.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 16, 2022 02:44PM
Dennis R
In Hamburg, New York just south of Buffalo, It was 2 degrees during my bathroom run.

Fortunately we have heat in our home so even at that temp the morning bathroom run is quite manageable.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: January 16, 2022 03:26PM
We did our errands a day or 3 ago.

Wet snow for the last 4 hours, should continue for another hour here in upper middle TN. And be melted by Tuesday, latest.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 16, 2022 03:37PM
Dennis R
In Hamburg, New York just south of Buffalo, It was 2 degrees during my bathroom run. Supposed to get about 15” of snow starting at 8:00 pm tonight. It is currently 36 degrees.

and Lake Erie is still not frozen over? Good luck.
Posted by: Lemon Drop
Date: January 16, 2022 03:38PM
Just got horrible pictures from my brother's house, at about 3000 ft elevation in north Greenville County SC. 10 huge trees came down around his house; the driveway and front entrance are blocked, outside cooking area smashed, trellises and veg garden ruined, and a lot of mature landscaping must be toast. Despite it all they are fortunate nothing landed directly on any people, or the house.
Date: January 16, 2022 05:05PM
Wind? Snow? Sleet? Ice? Combo of the all, L.D.? Haven't seen a lot of wind reports.

Date: January 16, 2022 05:12PM
Lemon Drop
Just got horrible pictures from my brother's house, at about 3000 ft elevation in north Greenville County SC. 10 huge trees came down around his house; the driveway and front entrance are blocked, outside cooking area smashed, trellises and veg garden ruined, and a lot of mature landscaping must be toast. Despite it all they are fortunate nothing landed directly on any people, or the house.

That sounds awful, like a winter hurricane.
I am glad the house and people were spared, but the clean up must be daunting.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 16, 2022 05:15PM
I know a stripper named Stormy Leather

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Bernie
Date: January 16, 2022 06:09PM
7:20 and there is some sleet with the snow. Glad we haven't shoveled yet. Could be some ice on the way.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 16, 2022 07:14PM
Just drove up from Columbus in the middle of the advance storm.. some white out, but mostly OK it’s hitting harder by now.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 16, 2022 07:20PM
light dusting just starting on LI. I suspect we'll have 300 feet by 8am.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: January 16, 2022 08:40PM
Checking in from Southern California. I have lots of friends is those wintery areas, keeping an eye here on you all. Keep warm and safe...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2022 08:40PM by SKYLANE.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: January 16, 2022 10:32PM
Speedy
Dennis R
In Hamburg, New York just south of Buffalo, It was 2 degrees during my bathroom run.

Fortunately we have heat in our home so even at that temp the morning bathroom run is quite manageable.

So you are rubbing it in my face that you have an indoor bathroom!!! Lol
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020