advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
HELP: meteorologist.app--restoring deleted prefs!
Posted by: goodmanx
Date: January 17, 2022 09:08AM
i've enjoyed having a weather app called “meteorologist” in my menu bar. installing an upgrade today, I stupidly chose to delete preferences. well, duh, there went all the cities i had entered into the app over the past several years!

the prefs are still in my trash. there is a folder “com.heat.meteorologist” with three cache.db files, a separate com.heat.meteorologist.plist file, six meteorologist crash files (which i’m guessing i don’t need) and a log file.

before deleting the prefs, i got a dialogue box telling me that there are 11 files that will be deleted; the files listed above total 11, so i think that accounts for all of them.

i’d like to restore the necessary files to the library folders from which they were deleted or, alternatively, instruction on how to get my cities' api keys or coordinates into the app. I recall that I had my cities’ coordinates entered.

any assistance will be appreciated. please let me know if any additional info is needed to do so.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: HELP: meteorologist.app--restoring deleted prefs!
Posted by: mspace
Date: January 17, 2022 09:38AM
I use it.

Go to the site - [heat-meteo.sourceforge.io]

Lots of help and the forum is very active. Ed answers all/most questions relatively quickly.

goodmanx
i've enjoyed having a weather app called “meteorologist” in my menu bar. installing an upgrade today, I stupidly chose to delete preferences. well, duh, there went all the cities i had entered into the app over the past several years!

the prefs are still in my trash. there is a folder “com.heat.meteorologist” with three cache.db files, a separate com.heat.meteorologist.plist file, six meteorologist crash files (which i’m guessing i don’t need) and a log file.

before deleting the prefs, i got a dialogue box telling me that there are 11 files that will be deleted; the files listed above total 11, so i think that accounts for all of them.

i’d like to restore the necessary files to the library folders from which they were deleted or, alternatively, instruction on how to get my cities' api keys or coordinates into the app. I recall that I had my cities’ coordinates entered.

any assistance will be appreciated. please let me know if any additional info is needed to do so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2022 09:38AM by mspace.
Re: HELP: meteorologist.app--restoring deleted prefs!
Posted by: TheCaber
Date: January 17, 2022 09:48AM
macOS Big Sur: Click on Trash icon in dock. Window shows all files in trash. In upper right of Trash window is a circle with 3 dots (...). Click on 3 dots. Pull down menu appears with 'more' actions, one of which is 'Put Back'.

If your deleted app files are the only ones in the Trash, then 'Put Back' will put them (all) back where they came from.

Else select the files you want put back, and click 'Put Back'.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Caveat:: putting back the files to their original spots may replace existing files created by the new version of the app.
If the internal file format(s) have changed, the old ones may not work with the new version app.

The Finder may offer the Cancel/Replace/KeepBoth choice during the move, along with ThisFileOnly/ApplyToAll.

Good luck!

=TC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2022 09:54AM by TheCaber.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020