advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dryer vent cleaning advice?
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 17, 2022 09:38AM
Not really computer related, but this is my go-to board for just about anything.

Our dryer is against an interior wall which is parallel to the exterior wall through which it vents. So, once inside the wall, it does a quick 90° turn, then the duct goes down 3 or 4 feet, takes another 90° turn, and then travels maybe 8 feet straight out.

So it’s a pretty good run, with a couple of turns. Is there some sort of dryer vent brush that anyone uses? I also have an air compressor with a (smallish) tank - maybe blast it out?

Or hire a professional dryer vent cleaner, if there is such a thing?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dryer vent cleaning advice?
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 17, 2022 09:49AM
I've blown mine out w/ compressed air (borrowed the tank from a friend)

Still, I've found most lint accumulates at the bottom...in my experience, vacuum that out first & you've gotten most of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2022 09:49AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 17, 2022 12:14PM
Thanks, Bill.
Posted by: clay
Date: January 17, 2022 12:24PM
I have a neighbor that has one like this one:
[www.amazon.com]

worked very well to clean out our long vent. looks like Lowes and other places have devices like this as well.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 17, 2022 12:29PM
Last time I had a new dryer installed, we ran one of those brushes through it best we could, and then (at the connection by the dryer, I blew air through using my leaf blower. There wasn't much build up (had done the same thing the last time I got a new dryer not long enough ago) but it gave me a little peace of mind.

Posted by: jdc
Date: January 17, 2022 12:32PM
Was $99 for a pro to come do it, FWIW.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 17, 2022 12:53PM
I have the same kind of brush. Seemed to work pretty well. I hadn't thought of finishing it off with the leaf blower. That's a good idea. Maybe get that last little bit out between the dryer door itself and the entrance to the vent pipe.

!#$@@$#!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 17, 2022 01:06PM
clay
I have a neighbor that has one like this one:
[www.amazon.com]

worked very well to clean out our long vent. looks like Lowes and other places have devices like this as well.

Same thing.

I use my shop vac to blow through the vent while running the brush using my hand drill.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: clay
Date: January 17, 2022 01:14PM
I wonder if just turning on the dryer while running the brush would accomplish a similar result?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 17, 2022 02:00PM
I’ve used a leaf blower on the inside of the dryer with good results. My vent is very short and stays clean so I haven’t needed it. But that’s what I would use.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 17, 2022 02:21PM
clay
I wonder if just turning on the dryer while running the brush would accomplish a similar result?

Possibly if you don't have much of an accumulation. But the velocity and volume of air from the dryer running will be much less than that from dome of the other sources that have been mentioned.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 17, 2022 11:14PM
I also use the vent brush attached to an electric drill. I gotta say though that two 90 degree bends is a very bad setup and will both make it very difficult to clean and cause a lot of lint buildup at the bends. My recollection is that dryer instructions specify to avoid 90 degree bends and to use sweeping turns of two 45s instead. That might even be against code since it's a fire hazard.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 18, 2022 08:18AM
davester
I also use the vent brush attached to an electric drill. I gotta say though that two 90 degree bends is a very bad setup and will both make it very difficult to clean and cause a lot of lint buildup at the bends. My recollection is that dryer instructions specify to avoid 90 degree bends and to use sweeping turns of two 45s instead. That might even be against code since it's a fire hazard.

I'm sure code varies by location, but here is a guide to help calculate the effective length of the vent tube factoring in 45 and 90 degree bends.

From Nachi.org:

"M1502.6 Duct length.
The maximum developed length of a clothes dryer exhaust duct shall not exceed 35 feet from the dryer location to the wall or roof termination. The maximum length of the duct shall be reduced 2.5 feet for each 45-degree (0.8 rad) bend, and 5 feet for each 90-degree (1.6 rad) bend. The maximum length of the exhaust duct does not include the transition duct."
Posted by: davester
Date: January 18, 2022 10:39AM
mikebw
"M1502.6 Duct length.
The maximum developed length of a clothes dryer exhaust duct shall not exceed 35 feet from the dryer location to the wall or roof termination. The maximum length of the duct shall be reduced 2.5 feet for each 45-degree (0.8 rad) bend, and 5 feet for each 90-degree (1.6 rad) bend. The maximum length of the exhaust duct does not include the transition duct."

I think that calculation is based on the hydraulic length of the duct. What it doesn't address is the fact that 90 degree corners have sharp edges and dead spots (corners where flow is stagnant) that tend to accumulate lint and also make it difficult to pass a lint brush through.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2022 10:41AM by davester.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 18, 2022 01:52PM
Don't forget to clean inside the dryer, too. Mine has a foot panel on the bottom front. I pull that off, vacuum the workings around the motor, then I detach the lint trap housing and clean that. I also shove a shopvac hose in via the rearward vent opening. Found a chipmunk mummy in there one time...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020