advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Share your technique for watermarks?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 17, 2022 09:55AM
I'm going to post some photos on social media, which I never do, but I want to watermark it all with my signature. Any tips other than the obvious?

Hurts like a bastid...
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Share your technique for watermarks?
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 17, 2022 11:04AM
mrbigstuff
I'm going to post some photos on social media, which I never do, but I want to watermark it all with my signature. Any tips other than the obvious?

Don't use your actual signature. Make a logo or just type out your name (or online-handle).

Think about 9 billion people having the ability to forge your signature on any document.

Posted by: jdc
Date: January 17, 2022 11:12AM
Define "obvious" =)

You mean just something small in the corner, like @mrbigstuff -- or some big "MRBIGSTUFF" ghosted thru the middle?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: January 17, 2022 11:34AM
probably ghosted through the middle.

not sure I agree on a cursive signature, although I hadn't thought much about it. it'll probably be generic.

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 17, 2022 12:03PM
I'd make a bunch of almost imperceptibly super-light, typed names, covering most of the picture, and add one "signature" a bit darker, as to be readable, strategically placed on each pic.
==
Date: January 17, 2022 12:51PM
mrbigstuff

Dont want this to come off wrong, but I don't get the point. Cause you don't want someone using your photos?

Are they unique in that they are worth something if for sale?

If you googled the content, like "fall leaves" -- google saye 3,550,000,000 results -- how many images would come back near identical to yours?

Posted by: hal
Date: January 17, 2022 01:36PM
not sure what the obvious technique is, but I set up a photoshop action. Created text... made it white, made it barely visible, and adjust the size when applied to a picture. So now, I click a button and size it properly, save and I'm done.

seemed obvious to me...
Date: January 17, 2022 02:20PM
jdc
mrbigstuff

Dont want this to come off wrong, but I don't get the point. Cause you don't want someone using your photos?

Are they unique in that they are worth something if for sale?

If you googled the content, like "fall leaves" -- google saye 3,550,000,000 results -- how many images would come back near identical to yours?

So watermarks are unnecessary? Is that why stock images don't have them?

/s

Hurts like a bastid...
Posted by: hal
Date: January 17, 2022 02:51PM
a forum poster once contacted me to tell me that I was crazy for not watermarking my pics that I post here. I think they are very nice pics and some might even be marketable, but I DON'T CARE.

MAYBE someday someone will make good money off one of my pics - good for them! They took the effort to make it happen - more than I'm willing to do. I'd like a cut of the profits, but that isn't really necessary... I would just be happy knowing my pics might be knocking around the internet giving people pleasure when I'm gone.
Date: January 17, 2022 03:28PM
mrbigstuff
So watermarks are unnecessary? Is that why stock images don't have them?
/s

Well, that's what Im asking. Stock images are watermarked because they *want* you to pay for them. They are unique, arranged and cataloged on a web site, taken by professionals, and are available at print sizes, not just web images. So there's a "value" to them.

If that's your goal, then yeah, Id copy what they do -- and your watermark should have a link to your site so peeps can buy them.

but just for recreational use? maybe not so much.

Admittedly anything you do that's small in corners can *easily* be cropped off. On my phone, in 5 seconds. So if you want true protection, full image watermark.

Posted by: JoeM
Date: January 17, 2022 04:22PM
It probably depends on where your images are being displayed and how valuable your images copyrights are to you. I've seen art licensing companies use a watermark that repeats and spans the whole shot besides having the artist/photographers name/logo on the image.

You can join [www.pixsy.com] if you feel you need some help preventing theft of your images on the web. I have some images i've donated to Pixabay that require no attribution and are free to use commercially however I just found one guy in india that has posted one of those images on a large commercial image site as his own and he's charging for it so I'll be stopping that.

I generally crop any image I post on Instagram and use my business sig but my Instagram is only used for my photography and design work so posting my business sig isn't really being used to protect my image, it's just another step in marketing.

For anything that's really special to me, like the digital artwork I recently submitted to a County and State art exhibition, I file a copyright with the Library of Congress. But for photo posts on my personal social media I don't usually bother with anything.

JoeM
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 17, 2022 04:52PM

==
Date: January 17, 2022 04:53PM
Buzz!

Hurts like a bastid...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020