advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iPad Pro Seems Very Nice
Posted by: chopper
Date: January 18, 2022 03:29PM
I just tried out an iPad Pro at Target. Quite an interesting and seemingly useful device. Easy on the eyes.

What is the semi-cheap used iPad solution for someone who can't pay $$$$ for a new one?

Is an older version of the iPad "close"?

TIA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iPad Pro Seems Very Nice
Posted by: pdq
Date: January 18, 2022 03:37PM
chopper
Is an older version of the iPad "close"?

Yeah, I think so. If you're a casual user like I am, you'll appreciate the larger screen without noticing you don't have the latest and greatest chip. And you may find the Pencil useful (I haven't so much).

I'd look at Apple refurbs.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 18, 2022 03:47PM
Nothing wring with the current base version, should be under 3 bills on sale. =)

Pros are a different animal, even older 2018s are still $500...

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2022 11:00PM by jdc.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 18, 2022 04:43PM
Were you were looking at an 11" or 12.9"?

Keep in mind that these latest versions are M1, which is significantly faster than the AXX chips of previous versions. But if you're just a casual user, then a recent model (or a regular iPad) should still be plenty fast (since they still use those chips in the regular iPads).

Also, the 12.9" uses a Mini-LED screen which be a noticeable improvement in black/contrast levels (the 11" and earlier 12.9" use regular LCD screens).

But don't go too old... my original iPad Pro (9.7" circa 2015) is starting to feel slow! Especially with ad heavy web pages. Despite the larger screen, I find myself using my iPhone a lot since it's so much faster.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 18, 2022 04:55PM
Gareth
But don't go too old... my original iPad Pro (9.7" circa 2015) is starting to feel slow! Especially with ad heavy web pages. Despite the larger screen, I find myself using my iPhone a lot since it's so much faster.

I have this same iPad Pro and, while I haven't noticed any real slowdown yet, I do find my battery doesn't last as long as it once did. It's still a great piece of kit, though.

Nevertheless, the seed has been planted. While I'm not looking to buy immediately, a new iPad is probably in my future in 2022. I will definitely wait to see what the next round of updates bring before purchasing. I would love an iPad with a miniLED screen but am not willing to bump up to the 12.9" iPad Pro to get it. If Apple can deliver a version of the 11" iPad Pro with a miniLED screen in 2022, they have my money.

It is what it is.
Posted by: chopper
Date: January 18, 2022 05:34PM
I CALLED TARGET AND spoke with a fellow in electronics. He was standing in front of the unit but was incapable of telling me anything about it. He didn't know what spec it is, what size or the price. He sounded about 20 years old. I asked him what color it was and he said it seemed like it was between a purple and a pink.

I will go back there and see what spec and size it is.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 18, 2022 05:48PM
chopper
I asked him what color it was and he said it seemed like it was between a purple and a pink.

Hmm... I wonder if you were actually looking at an iPad Air then (which comes in multiple colors - Space Gray, Silver, Green, Rose Gold and Sky Blue). The iPad Pro only comes in Space Gray and Silver.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: January 18, 2022 06:54PM
I’ll say that if you haven’t been compelled to know the differences between models, get the cheapest NEW model.
You’ll be delighted, as even the lowest new model uses a blazing fast chip.
Bigger, better screens will hit your wallet accordingly.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: January 18, 2022 07:32PM
FYI the iPad Air also has a laminated screen with anti-reflective coating, and more memory. It also costs a few hundred more than a standard iPad.
Posted by: pqrst
Date: January 18, 2022 08:41PM
The original iPad Pro is still supported by the current iOS. And you can get them for $300 on Swappa.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 19, 2022 03:06AM
The base iPad is pretty nice and seems to be the subject of frequent sales.

Easy on the eyes.

Just an FYI – the current iPad Pro has a refresh rate up to 120Hz which might be the reason it's easy on the eyes.

The refresh rate is low with the screen is static or scrolling is slow.

It speeds up as scrolling speed increases, which can make it easy in the eyes, and currently, it's the only iPad with that capability.

There is also True Tone, a feature on some other iPads too, that will adjust the color temperature of the iPad's screen to match that of the ambient light.

It's suppose to provide a more natural looking image.

I am that Masked Man.

All you can do, is all you can do.

There’s trouble — it's time to play the sound of my people.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 131
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020