advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple now requires verification for EDU discounts
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 19, 2022 09:08PM
Apple is now requiring education buyers to be verified with UNiDAYS to get a 10% discount on selected products.

Apple Education Store will now also limit customers to buying only one product per category in a year, which means you can’t buy two Macs with a discount in the same year. On the other hand, you can buy a Mac and then an iPad with a 10% discount.

With this new verification method, it’s likely that some customers will struggle to get the discount as, for example, homeschooled kids need to provide “an institution portal login, an institution issued personal email address or an institution issued student ID card” to be able to get a UNiDAYS account.

Apple also uses UNiDAYS to verify the eligibility of students to get a 50% discount on the Apple Music plan, bundled with Apple TV+.

[9to5mac.com]

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple now requires verification for EDU discounts
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 19, 2022 09:34PM
I had to verify with some service last April when I bought my M1 Mini with a veterans discount. It doesn't surprise me to see this happen with educational discounts.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 19, 2022 09:39PM
What about a pre school teacher/admin? Looks like there is no way to get proof that they would accept.

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 19, 2022 10:40PM
Did not know that Apple offered a veteran discount.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: January 20, 2022 04:13AM
Wow! This sucks. Apple really is becoming stingy, you can't even get into the education store to browse without first verifying eligibility.

I regret not getting the Final Cut Pro, Logic and whatever else was included bundle from the educational store when I had the chance. It was a worthwhile deal.

I don't know why Apple all of a sudden did this, their discounts really didn't amount to that much, I I'm sure they still made a nice, tidy profit on all of those "nudge, nudge, wink wink educational" buyers.

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa
Posted by: Michael
Date: January 20, 2022 06:20AM
When we bought my wife her MacBook in Nashville last summer and asked for the education discount they asked for id. I pulled out my "retired professor" college id and it was fine. I'll have an email with the college forever since they provide an insurance benefit to retirees and it's done using our college email addresses. I'd imagine that email would do it with UNiDAYS. But, who knows...
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 20, 2022 09:04AM
There's a lot people who say "just get the edu discount, they don't check." Apple must have decided enough is enough.

I usually wait for refurbs, and those deals are as good or better than EDU discounts. We've been eligible for edu discount for like 15 years via our kids. I have used it exactly ONCE, just last month to get my hands on an M1 16"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2022 09:05AM by Acer.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 20, 2022 11:22AM
Don C
Did not know that Apple offered a veteran discount.
I believe Rammie was the first to alert us 3 years ago. [forums.macresource.com]

I had to verify with some service last April when I bought my M1 Mini with a veterans discount.

Yep, pretty simple process @ ID.ME
iirc, I uploaded a PDF of my 214 & verification took all of two minutes.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 20, 2022 07:39PM
I had no idea! Once you document your status with the ID.me service, it's trivial to extend that verification to other vendors/situations like Apple. Took me literally ten seconds.

So, which is better...veteran status via Apple Store, save tax via NEX, Amazon Prime credit card discount via Amazon...? This made the situation more complicated.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020