advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cat Litter... Again... Sent Free and Dust Free.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: January 20, 2022 06:13AM
Ok, we always end up back at Arm and Hammer but it still isn't the greatest. We have four cats and have tried several "new" options but nothing seems to work to keep the dust down. We tried Wallnut, The worlds best, etc. yet in the end Arm and Hammer. So, what is everyone using?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cat Litter... Again... Sent Free and Dust Free.
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 20, 2022 06:45AM
A&H is disgusting. It turns into a filthy slurry or cement. Does nothing for odor. And of course it's dusty. They get rid of surplus baking soda by pretending it's cat litter.

Just go with Fresh Step.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 20, 2022 06:47AM
Your cats are in charge of this decision but you might consider the breeze litter system.

Posted by: Rolando
Date: January 20, 2022 07:07AM
Still recommend the wooden pellets

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: vicrock
Date: January 20, 2022 07:08AM
Dr. Elsey's Ultra - you can order on several sources for delivery - 40 lb bag is 19.99 and lasts a long time. Chewy, PetFlow and Bezos - all the same price.

Breeze is good if your cats will use it - only one of mine will - the others went on strike.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2022 07:09AM by vicrock.
Date: January 20, 2022 07:31AM
It's weird... All of the "dust free" litters get weird reviews "We used this for years but now its incredibly dusty"... Maybe we just need a litter room or something... or just a much better litter box. We have a larger Maine Coon so a covered box might not be the best solution.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: January 20, 2022 07:42AM
Put an air purifier in the same room as the litter box?
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 20, 2022 08:36AM
horse bedding aka pine pellets.
my spouse suggested first (she rides them half tons) and it was 2nd by someone(s) here.
Cheap. $4-$7 for 40 lbs.

Owen pees endlessly indoors. Never smell it and his is pretty rank.
On the few occasions he has dropped an indoor steamer, also murderously stinky, they've been waaaaaay more bearable.
But just one cat, YMMD.

A knuckle worth lasts 2 weeks or more in winter and a month or more when the weather is more cat acceptable.

Bio-degradable, nowhere near as funky as clay. O took to it immediately.

!#$@@$#!
Date: January 20, 2022 08:50AM
Is there any equipment to "help" eliminate the dust? Like a air filter?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 20, 2022 08:51AM
Fritz and Rolando got it right.

Tractor Supply Pelletized Pine Horse bedding $6.50 for 40 lbs
I use 3 scoops a week for 2 cats - no odor whatsoever.

Oddly using more does not do any better.

Since it is just compressed Pine dust, I take it out to the pine trees at the back of my acre and spread it. It just disappears in a week or so. Do Not dump it in a pile, it will stay around for a year that way.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: ArtP
Date: January 20, 2022 09:27AM
vicrock
Dr. Elsey's Ultra - you can order on several sources for delivery - 40 lb bag is 19.99 and lasts a long time. Chewy, PetFlow and Bezos - all the same price.

I use Dr Elsey's too. It seems to clump better than most of the others (huge pee clumps so you use more but that is a good thing I guess)
Posted by: apocketfulofwry
Date: January 20, 2022 11:39AM
I'm in the 'used to be dust-free, but isn't now' crowd with Dr. Elsey's, but it's still my go-to brand.

If you have a store nearby, Dr. Elsey's has an seemingly perpetual downloadable coupon for $1 off, and they currently have one for $3 off that expires March 2, 2022.

They also offer a rebate of up to $20 on your first purchase, or, presumably, the first purchase you tell them about.
Posted by: rz
Date: January 20, 2022 11:58AM
Tiangou
A&H is disgusting. It turns into a filthy slurry or cement. Does nothing for odor. And of course it's dusty. They get rid of surplus baking soda by pretending it's cat litter.

Just go with Fresh Step.

This has not been our experience. Fresh Step is incredibly dusty.
Date: January 20, 2022 12:16PM
apocketfulofwry
I'm in the 'used to be dust-free, but isn't now' crowd with Dr. Elsey's, but it's still my go-to brand.

If you have a store nearby, Dr. Elsey's has an seemingly perpetual downloadable coupon for $1 off, and they currently have one for $3 off that expires March 2, 2022.

They also offer a rebate of up to $20 on your first purchase, or, presumably, the first purchase you tell them about.

Which one do you use? We have four cats so I'm thinking...

Dr. Elsey's Multi-Cat Unscented Clumping Clay Cat Litter...
[www.chewy.com]
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: January 20, 2022 03:13PM
agree smiley with Fritz, Ombligo, and Rolando. The best way I found (thanks to a YouTube video) to use the pine pellets is with the Breeze sifting pan, onto a puppy pad in the solid pan beneath. Shake it occasionally to make sure the wet sawdust sifts down below the screen. No smell and no dust.

Not to mention how much cheaper it is to use this way, even with buying puppy pads! The litter doesn't get wasted, and kitty paws touch only clean pellets. Of course, you still need to scoop the solids. And some cats get stuck on one kind of litter, too. But mine were very happy, and I bought much less litter than with regular pans.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: January 20, 2022 04:48PM
We've been using the "Best" brand but are now gonna give the pine horse pellets a try.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 21, 2022 03:11PM
"World's Best" with a layer of baking soda on the very bottom.
Posted by: apocketfulofwry
Date: January 21, 2022 06:23PM
spacescape
apocketfulofwry

Which one do you use? We have four cats so I'm thinking...

Dr. Elsey's Multi-Cat Unscented Clumping Clay Cat Litter...
[www.chewy.com]

We use the Ultra Unscented which is on sale at Amazon $12 for 40lbs

[www.amazon.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 38
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020