advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Question for The Expanse Fans
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 20, 2022 04:19PM
I love sci-fi but i must admit sometimes details elude me. Only figured out Star Wars two years ago.

I have enjoyed The Expanse but for the life of me in this final season I could not figure out how the family with the little girl and the dog-like creatures that could restore life fit into the rest of the narrative.

WWTA? (What Was That About. So much more polite than WTF.)

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Question for The Expanse Fans
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 20, 2022 04:43PM
I really tried to get into that show, I've had a zillion people recommend it... but we watched the first 4-5 episodes and my wife observed afterwards that she couldn't remember the name of a single character. "You're right," I said, and that was kind of it.

Is there a point where it takes off?
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: January 20, 2022 04:51PM
I liked the books. I struggled with the TV series.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: kj
Date: January 20, 2022 05:17PM
I have to admit the same in that I found I understood less and less what the frick was going on. Some of it is on purpose and makes sense later, if you remember stuff (which is hard if you don't watch it in one large bolus).

I didn't like the characters for a while. It irritated me that they are similar to Firefly characters. But they developed, and new ones introduced, and I now think the characters are really good. I don't know when that happened. Maybe gradually.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: January 20, 2022 06:57PM
They are setting up a plot line for future stories based on the books and possible spoilers here based on a future with someone using the proto molecule. It took around 6 episodes to be intrigued. My wife had some insight and has read the books. Hope this helps.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 20, 2022 07:15PM
Randalls
They are setting up a plot line for future stories based on the books and possible spoilers here based on a future with someone using the proto molecule.

so there was no actual connection between that plot arc and the rest of the story, right? I kept thinking there had to be and who the hell are these people in relation to any of the other characters.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: Marc Anthony
Date: January 20, 2022 08:19PM
Will Collier
Is there a point where it takes off?

Yes and no. I almost gave up in the first episodes, but it improved rapidly either at the end of season one or near the beginning of two. The protomolecule episodes have some excitement, but there are still moments where the show is plodding and sort of a space soap opera.

Le po├Ęte doit vivre beaucoup, vivre dans tous les sens. - Verlaine
Posted by: gabester
Date: January 20, 2022 08:22PM
I suppose I could be labelled an Expanse superfan. Finished reading Book 9 "Leviathan Falls" and the next morning finished episode 6 of the 6th season...

Apparently there's a short story about Cara and her Strange Dogs - that's where that plot arc in Season 6 comes from - that will be released in an upcoming compendium of the several Expanse short stories "Memory's Legion" which has a couple other bits that appear in the TV show instead of the main novels as well...

The books and the show are parallel but a little divergent, and the seasons sometimes mix together elements from different books.

I started by watching the first season or two of the show, then reading the books and new seasons of the show as they became available.

Spoiler alert - 30 years after book/season 6 something story changing happens with the Laconia system gate in book 7 (which would roughly correspond to TV season 7 should it ever get produced...)

g=

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2022 09:38AM by gabester.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 21, 2022 04:32AM
I started watching it when it came on and had a really difficult time getting into it. I initially watched it b/c I liked Thomas Jane. But then I hated his character. But as the it went on and I kind of forced myself to watch it, it got better. And better. And much better.

So I decided I would go back and rewatch it with the knowledge of what's happening and who these people are. Something that was sooooooo missing in the beginning. I have to say, I'm only a couple episodes into the first season and it's much better now that I have a familiarity with the characters and only a general remembrance of what's happening.

Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: January 21, 2022 12:01PM
gabester
Apparently there's a short story about Cara and her Strange Dogs - that's where that plot arc in Season 6 comes from - that will be released in an upcoming compendium of the several Expanse short stories "Memory's Legion" which has a couple other bits that appear in the TV show instead of the main novels as well...

Strange Dogs came out a few years ago. I don't want to get too spoilerly, but it's foreshadowing something pretty significant that happens in Tiamat's Wrath.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2022 12:03PM by MGS_forgot_password.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: January 21, 2022 09:07PM
The books are fantastic. The show seemed laborious, but I wanted to like it so much. I made it thru 2 seasons before moving on. However, the entire series of books should be on the must read list.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 83
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020