advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
$100 (used eBay) Canon EF to Sony MILC could be a lot of fun
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 22, 2022 12:15PM
Bought a Sigma MC-11 on a whim. I don’t have many Canon lenses left but I was able to put a Sigma 17-50mm 2.8 for Aps-c and an old school metal mount 50mm 1.8. They both autofocus decently in photo mode. Searching ensues for video mode. I don’t do a lot of video so it’s not a bad trade off for only $100. Now I am contemplating buying Canon’s 28-300mm IS which is a push pull design, no reverse zooming involved (I am used to the Nikon/Sony zoom direction). Would also be fun to find out of a Canon 400mm 2.8 in an older model would be sufficient for sporting action. Could be a new avenue of fun.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2022 12:19PM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: $100 (used eBay) Canon EF to Sony MILC could be a lot of fun
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 22, 2022 04:35PM
I just got that big Canon 28-300 F4 L lens, and it is pretty heavy, but not that massive in diameter.

Is there a smaller 28-300 IS that isn't the big white L series? Might get as a back-up if the price is right.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2022 04:36PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: January 22, 2022 08:11PM
pRICE cUBE
Would also be fun to find out of a Canon 400mm 2.8 in an older model would be sufficient for sporting action. Could be a new avenue of fun.

I recently tried the Metabones V with a 200/2 IS and A7R IV. You'd probably find that combination annoyingly slow for sports. I was just shooting a half marathon and found it slow. I'm going to try it with the Sigma adapter and an A9 in a couple weeks and see if it's faster.

For the Metabones adapters, it sounds like you need an A1 or A9 II to get the fastest AF focus out of the Canon lenses. But the Sigma adapter supposedly gets pretty decent results with their own lenses.

Racer X
Is there a smaller 28-300 IS that isn't the big white L series? Might get as a back-up if the price is right.

Not that I know of from Canon. Tamron made one, but I don't know how the quality is.
[www.tamron-usa.com]
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 22, 2022 08:18PM
Gareth
pRICE cUBE
Would also be fun to find out of a Canon 400mm 2.8 in an older model would be sufficient for sporting action. Could be a new avenue of fun.

I recently tried the Metabones V with a 200/2 IS and A7R IV. You'd probably find that combination annoyingly slow for sports. I was just shooting a half marathon and found it slow. I'm going to try it with the Sigma adapter and an A9 in a couple weeks and see if it's faster.

For the Metabones adapters, it sounds like you need an A1 or A9 II to get the fastest AF focus out of the Canon lenses. But the Sigma adapter supposedly gets pretty decent results with their own lenses.

Racer X

Not that I know of from Canon. Tamron made one, but I don't know how the quality is.
[www.tamron-usa.com]

Thanks for the insight on using it with the 200mm F/2.

I am very interested in what you get with an A9 or A1. I will likely get an A9 in a few months once spring sports picks up.

Currently using a Sony A7r III with this Sigma adapter. I don't have a action worthy lens. I might have to rent a 400mm 2.8 just to see what happens. I don't have the funds for a used 400 2.8 Canon but I am much closer than the $12,000 Sony version.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 23, 2022 03:20PM
Make sure that the firmware is up to date on the Sigma.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: January 23, 2022 04:39PM
That Canon 28-300L is kind of a dog in my opinion. Either the 35-350L or the first version of the 100-400L are better lenses (both push-pull zoom).
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 23, 2022 09:02PM
AllGold
That Canon 28-300L is kind of a dog in my opinion. Either the 35-350L or the first version of the 100-400L are better lenses (both push-pull zoom).

Yeah, but no one else makes a good quality 28-300 for a Canon EOS mount. Single lens for travel or wedding. Maybe super-wide zoom for truck travel.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 133
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020