advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Not "sold" on buying an Instant Pot, but, sure sold on ONE feature! Yogurt!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 25, 2022 04:52PM
So... been thinking for a while about making cheese. Part of that research has touched on making yogurt. I don't have an appliance that will hold the right temperature/time for the ideal conditions... but, a buddy of mine loaned me his Instant Pot with a "Yogurt" cycle.

It hardly gets any easier!
Put milk in the thing. Push the "Yogurt" button until it says "Boil"...
Milk heats up and is pasteurized and the proteins broken down a bit.
Once that gets to temp, it turns off. Wait until the temp has fallen to 110 degrees, and add a couple big spoonfuls of store bought yogurt with "active cultures".
Put the lid back on and push the yogurt button again... and choose the amount of time (4 hours to 20 hours... I went with 4 and a half).
When it shuts off, it's yogurt!

Next time I'm going to run the cycle longer..... my 4.5hrs made a slightly liquidy yogurt. Twenty hours is supposed to be much thicker and more tart.

So, I'm not convinced to buy one at full retail... but, if I spot one at a garage sale, or thrift store, I may bring it home.

One thing, though... a GALLON of yogurt is really quite a bit more than I should have made, LOL.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Not "sold" on buying an Instant Pot, but, sure sold on ONE feature! Yogurt!
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 25, 2022 05:03PM
I use a small cheap Styrofoam cooler and a heating pad.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 25, 2022 05:07PM
I make yogurt with an Instant Pot but I bought mine before the yogurt setting was added.

I simply use the saute setting to heat the water while stirring to 190, dissolve some sugar in the milk, and add an ounce of vanilla. Then quickly cool it to 110 in an ice bath. Stir in a jar of active culture yogurt. Bottle it and put the sealed jars in my hot tub for 5-6 hours.

It is harder to describe the process than to actually do it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 25, 2022 05:45PM
with the yogurt a deciding factor...

... I say go ahead and take the plunge!
Posted by: Maddog
Date: January 25, 2022 05:50PM
While I have never used the my instant pot to make yogurt, it is an excellent sous vide machine. Just drop your steak sealed in a food saver bag or ziplock with air evacuated and put it on the "warm" setting. Will get the meat to 135 degrees. I usually give it at least a couple hours. Then remove, dry off, salt and pepper, then sear it in really hot cast iron skillet for one minute on each side. Perfect steak. Everytime.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 25, 2022 05:57PM
Maddog
While I have never used the my instant pot to make yogurt, it is an excellent sous vide machine. Just drop your steak sealed in a food saver bag or ziplock with air evacuated and put it on the "warm" setting. Will get the meat to 135 degrees. I usually give it at least a couple hours. Then remove, dry off, salt and pepper, then sear it in really hot cast iron skillet for one minute on each side. Perfect steak. Everytime.

Some/many(?) instant pots have a sous vide setting that lets you set the temp to a desired degree.
==
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: January 25, 2022 06:15PM
The 3-quart Instant Pot would be ideal for a smaller amount of yogurt. I guess the 6-quart is the most versatile, but I mostly cook for just one or two people and use the smaller one much more often than the mid-size model I also own. More compact and easier to store! Someone on the forum (maybe PeterB?) mentioned that having the 8-quart size, but I can't imagine wanting one that large unless you cook for larger groups (and have lots more storage space than I do! smile smiley ).

The regular price for a 6-quart Duo is $89.00 on Amazon, but the Duo "Mini" 3-quart model is only $69.99:
[www.amazon.com]
You could of course spend lots more on fancier ones. How about a Star Wars Mini for just $10 more?!? smiley-sw018
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 25, 2022 08:59PM
For extra yogurt, get some cheese cloth and strain it into a tzatziki* or go further and make some soft cheese. Lots of recipes on the interwebs.

*add grated cukes, some garlic, salt, evoo, and your preferred fresh herb.
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 25, 2022 08:59PM
You can also make yogurt with sous vide.
[recipes.anovaculinary.com]

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

DuckDuckGo
The search engine that doesn't track you.

DemComm Records 2021 Greatest Hits
includes:
Taxman by Joe & Nancy's Rich Ice Cream Band
The Humpty Dance by The Harris-Brown Hookup
Lets Spend The Night Together by The Fang-Swalwell Gang
Díaz-Canel Is A Friend of Ours by The AOC Squad
My Old Kentucky Retirement Home by MitchMcC & The Soggy Boxer Boys
Burning Down The House by Merrick & The Goons
Back In the USSR by Bernie's Red Square Trio

patriot smiley
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 25, 2022 09:54PM
Not all InstaPots have a yogurt setting. So, if you buy one, keep that in mind.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: January 26, 2022 04:45PM
I have a 6 Qt. Instant Pot with the yogurt setting, and make a batch about once a week, and have for the last couple years now. One additional thing of note, is that you really only need to use store-bought yogurt as your starter the very first time. After that, just set aside a couple tablespoons of the last batch to user as starter in the next.

I have this strainer, which I use to turn the yogurt into Greek style yogurt, and rather than saving a couple teaspoons of the precious yogurt as starter, I save about a cup and a half of the "whey" that I strain off to make the Greek yogurt, and just keep it in a sealed plastic container in the fridge. I only use about two tablespoons of the whey for the next batch, but every month or two, will replace all of the whey in the container with new whey from the latest batch.

[www.zeemaps.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2022 04:46PM by The UnDoug.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 26, 2022 09:10PM
a lot like sourdough starter.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020