Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PPE / Eyewear question
Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 25, 2022 07:13PM
Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend a pair of -- for lack of better description -- safety glasses/goggles that one can wear over prescription glasses, preferably that cover the top, sides, and bottoms, so as to protect against aerosols? (I'm basically thinking of something to use in conjunction with an N95, but to protect the mucous membranes of the eye, since I know the virus can get transmitted that way too.)

I'm looking at Amazon, and I'm seeing a few things that might work, but it seems like a number of them wouldn't necessarily protect against aerosols (don't go all the way around the edges), and/or wouldn't fit over regular glasses, and/or wouldn't be especially comfortable for extended wear. (I already have a pair of chemistry-style lab goggles, and they do work, but NOT at all comfortable and look totally terrible!)

TiA

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PPE / Eyewear question
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 25, 2022 07:31PM
I know of standard safety glasses that do what you want but I've never seen ones that go over glasses that would do what you want. Not sure how they would seal around prescription glass arms. You would probably need prescription safety glasses to accomplish what you want. Note that the gaskets are intended to keep dust out. Not sure that they will provide the protection that you're looking for.

Prescription Safety Glasses with gasket
Date: January 25, 2022 07:41PM
macphanatic
I know of standard safety glasses that do what you want but I've never seen ones that go over glasses that would do what you want. Not sure how they would seal around prescription glass arms. You would probably need prescription safety glasses to accomplish what you want. Note that the gaskets are intended to keep dust out. Not sure that they will provide the protection that you're looking for.

That's too funny -- that's the exact company I last used to get my prescription glasses made! (I wear REAL glass, not polycarbonate -- and it's getting harder and harder to find companies that will make glasses with real glass.) I got my current bifocals made with them, and I can't stand them (the bifocals), but that's a different story, and has nothing to do with the company.

As an example of what I'm looking at, there are these: [www.amazon.com]

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 25, 2022 08:00PM
PeterB
macphanatic

That's too funny -- that's the exact company I last used to get my prescription glasses made! (I wear REAL glass, not polycarbonate -- and it's getting harder and harder to find companies that will make glasses with real glass.) I got my current bifocals made with them, and I can't stand them (the bifocals), but that's a different story, and has nothing to do with the company.

As an example of what I'm looking at, there are these: [www.amazon.com]

I know all about OTG safety glasses. Just never seen any that have gaskets. I have several pairs of standard safety glasses that have gaskets - most were give aways at trade shows that I've attended.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: January 25, 2022 08:30PM
Why not just usde a plastic face shield? Should work well with an N95 mask.

richorlin
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 25, 2022 08:49PM
This (pre-Omicron) article suggests that touching your eyes is more of a problem than aerosols.

[nymag.com]

Maybe just shop for some stylish wrap-around over-eyeglasses goggles and forget about the invulnerable-to-virus-sized-particles bit?

Otherwise, yeah - I think you're stuck with prescription-goggles if you want a decent gasket. Nothing tight that goes over frames.

Date: January 25, 2022 09:57PM
richorlin
Why not just usde a plastic face shield? Should work well with an N95 mask.

Won't work well with microscopes.

Tiangou
This (pre-Omicron) article suggests that touching your eyes is more of a problem than aerosols.

[nymag.com]

Maybe just shop for some stylish wrap-around over-eyeglasses goggles and forget about the invulnerable-to-virus-sized-particles bit?

Otherwise, yeah - I think you're stuck with prescription-goggles if you want a decent gasket. Nothing tight that goes over frames.

Yep, I can believe that it's less an issue of aerosols and more one of touching your eyes. I am acutely aware of where I put my hands and so am very careful about not touching my face, eyes, etc., but you're right that having some wraparound goggles are probably fine ... in which case the Amazon ones I posted should be fine, right?

Posted by: Tiangou
Date: January 25, 2022 10:26PM
PeterB
...in which case the Amazon ones I posted should be fine, right?

Probably.

I have a few different styles. The ones that I have that look like that pinch a bit, but it's tolerable.

I find that the ones that have top-mounted stems are more comfortable. I have a pair with no branding on them, so dunno who made them, but they look like these:

[smile.amazon.com]
[smile.amazon.com]

Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 26, 2022 12:48AM
There are shooting safety glasses that have seals against dust/debris. There are for sure ones for over prescription glasses with seals too. You are starting to lean into ballistic eye protection for military/LEOs who need gas protection from tear/pepper spray, or for skydiving.

[store.selfdefensearmory.com]

[store.selfdefensearmory.com]

I have ordered several pairs of sunglasses from these people before FWIW.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2022 12:52AM by Racer X.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020