advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Are you personally living in a world with the Internet of Things?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 28, 2022 12:52PM
Poll
Are you personally living in a world with the Internet of Things?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
44 votes were received.
Yes 22

50%
No 20

45%
Any moment now 1

2%
One moment, my helper robot is stuck in the yard because my AI enabled camera thought there was a face in the bushes 1

2%

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are you personally living in a world with the Internet of Things?
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 28, 2022 12:56PM
To some degree. I converted a wire shelf to have electric fans to dry my bike and board gear, via voice commands. If that sort of thing counts, then yes.

I don't have a single appliance connected to the internet, though did recently try installing a Nest thermostat.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 28, 2022 12:57PM
No

I even use my programmable thermostat manually because it behaves like a M$ product by trying to outguess what I want.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: January 28, 2022 12:58PM
Our phones are likely IOT and our car and maybe the few year old TV have enough IOT stuffs in them that they probably count. But no specific smart devices in the house that would stand out in a house from 20 years ago.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 28, 2022 01:03PM
The only device I have that would qualify is my Google Home...
But, I only use it to update my shopping list while I'm in the kitchen.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: davester
Date: January 28, 2022 01:06PM
Yes, but to a minor degree:

1. Our porch light switch is connected to the internet so that I can schedule it and turn it on manually via my phone.

2. Our Nest smoke detectors alert me on the phone if the house in on fire or if they are going to do a self-test.

That's all.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: January 28, 2022 01:09PM
a bit - smart thermostat that I can program via an app (handy, but not a necessity), and the security cameras & doorbell are available for me to monitor from anywhere (assuming there is internet access) - that's definitely useful.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: January 28, 2022 01:29PM
Yes. I have 4 cameras at each of two dwellings I can access, and a garage door I can operate remotely. This will probably be limit in the Internet of Things. I have no need nor desire to go beyond this point.

Ed (modelamac)

I think I will just put an OUT OF ORDER
sticker on my head and call it a day.
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: January 28, 2022 01:31PM
Yes. Smart plugs, smart bulbs, smart thermostats, smart smoke alarms, cameras, and door locks, plus phones, tablets, and computers that control them all from anywhere.

Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 28, 2022 02:13PM
I have ring cameras around the exterior of our house. We had an event which required police intervention several years ago so this is important to me.

We don't adjust our thermostat remotely very often BUT I did have the system shut down while I was on vacation last year so it was nice to know I had a problem before I walked thru the door.

The oven is internet accessible but I never use that feature and I can't imagine why I would.

My daughter has some recessed LED lights that are controllable from her iPhone. She played with the colors quite a bit when new but I don't think she does much with them anymore.

I would love it if our sprinkler system were internet accessible but I haven't found a system that can control 22-24 zones.

That just leaves all of the airport express units attached to speakers throughout the house.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
I’ve added some recipes and spiritual thoughts as well.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 28, 2022 04:42PM
Toyed with the idea of getting a smart thermostat but we have radiator heat and window units for cooling, one room at a time. Easy enough to turn the A/C on and off as I enter or leave the room if I will be away for a while.

We are in the house pretty much 24/7; we don't leave for long periods of time. I am thinking that turning down the heat at night would save some gas, but then heating the house back up in the morning would made the boiler run all the much more so it is, methinks, a wash.

The cat wet down the Alexa speaker, taking it out of service, though I rarely used it. One TV is smart and I could find things by talking to it, but have never done so.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 28, 2022 04:53PM
Barely.

In the context of the question, and avoiding pedantry, my HomePod and Echo products are connected to the Internet, but my smart switches and plugs are not.

I'm not naive enough to think it's not possible that my router can't be hacked and somebody couldn't then browse my kit and have some fun.

But I don't enable the ability to access them directly, away from home.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 28, 2022 05:25PM
Ecobee thermostat and a bunch of HomeKit compatible switches and sensors. Security cameras run through my NAS so that I control the video.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 28, 2022 06:42PM
• Ecobee Smart Thermostat keeps the heat turned down when nobody is home.

• MyQ for the garage door is semi-smart, I can open and close with my watch or phone when I ride a bike. I can also check the status when I get a block from home and wonder if I closed the garage.

• Rachio for the sprinkler system provides a lot of good weather automation and automatically adjusts the schedule early and late season.

I think that's it.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 28, 2022 06:49PM
I was listening to a podcast and the IoT (internet of things) was mentioned somewhere between Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 (cryptocurrency and....I think its just cryptocurrency) and they said "Did that happen? Doesn't really seem like it" which told me either a) they haven't bought an appliance in a long time OR b) they're buying wifi enabled stuff and they don't realize its IoT.

Anyway, I have a bunch of that stuff and I like most of it. If I don't like it, it goes.

- MyQ garage door opener.
- Smart locks
- smart light switches
- water monitoring
- Nest thermostat
- Smart smoke alarms
- A couple of ring cameras
- Alexa
- washer and drier do wifi but whats the point

I think the whole thing has just been more subtle than people realize, which is good.

Posted by: Don C
Date: January 28, 2022 08:16PM
I had friends who had a washer and drier that were connected. Presumably, the washer "told" the drier what was coming. I never figured out what the drier would do differently based on what the washer passed along.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 28, 2022 08:25PM
Yep.

Belkin Wemo for almost all my lights.
Ecobee thermostat.
New range is wifi connected.
MyQ for the garage door
Reolink cloud security cameras

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2022 08:27PM by C(-)ris.
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 28, 2022 08:41PM
Nope.

I live off the grid.

95% of my internet use is through my phone.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 28, 2022 08:45PM
NO

And I have no interest in linking my world to the internet.

Still FAR too many security risks as far as I'm concerned. nono smiley
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 28, 2022 09:33PM
… the refrigerator chimes in monthly with how many times people opened the doors, the average length of time open, and so forth. LOL. Still not ordering food on its own, however. That's probably next.
Posted by: Altered Horizons
Date: January 28, 2022 10:22PM
My house is...I'm just along for the ride.

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. - Sir James Dewar
myHouse: [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]
myHouse (front door - requires javascript & sound): [alteredhorizons.no-ip.org]

Posted by: kurtzie
Date: January 29, 2022 08:34AM
Our Smart Window shades decided to "leave" the network this week. A simple reset didn't fix it.
So now I have to figure out I set it up previously and get it working again.

These shades are hard to reach (especially for my wife), so we got powered ones and we got the additional smart features. These are older, so you cant't just scan them with your phone and have it automatically happen. Off to find the internet directions for this…

Steve
Posted by: Spiff
Date: January 29, 2022 09:04AM
Arlo security cameras indoors. ADT security able to be accessed remotely. That’s about it.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: January 29, 2022 10:49AM
Don C
I had friends who had a washer and drier that were connected. Presumably, the washer "told" the drier what was coming. I never figured out what the drier would do differently based on what the washer passed along.

Front load washers typically spin the load when dry. They can determine the load size and adjust water usage. My guess is that the dryer uses the first dry spin and the last spins at the spin dry cycle to determine the amount of water left in the load.
Posted by: btfc
Date: January 29, 2022 11:17AM
“ Our Smart Window shades decided to "leave" the network this week. A simple reset didn't fix it. “

There is nothing wrong with your window shades. Do not attempt to adjust them. We are controlling transmission. We will control the horizontal. We will control the vertical...
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 29, 2022 02:43PM
We have a bunch of potentials... but never setup. nest, garage door, ring, alarm, oven, dishwasher.

besides TVs, phones and computers... nothing. 1 alexa, but not sure if its ever used.

i hate the nest. I just want it to work like a normal thermostat. 2 story house, one on each floor. but bottom is freezing and top is oven. thought they were supposed to talk to each other? I prob will reset to factory settings again.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 106
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020