Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
any beantowners here? Boston about to get rocked by blizzard
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: January 28, 2022 04:44PM
[boston.cbslocal.com]

If Boston is to set a record Saturday, the City will need to spend several hours beneath one of these bands, which could drop in excess of 3” of snow in an hour. Southeastern MA (Plymouth, Bristol and Barnstable counties) are the most likely areas to get rocked with banding. Next up would be the immediate coastline from Boston through Cape Ann. Records are hard to set…we have about 150 years of record keeping here in Boston. I don’t care what the models say, there is a reason why we have so few storms that reach 2 feet or more. I would rate setting a record at a long shot.

TIMELINE:

Midnight-7am Saturday: Light snow begins over a good portion of southeast MA and most areas south of the Mass Pike at Midnight and spreads northward. By 7am it is snowing in all of Southern New England and as far north as Manchester or Concord NH. By 7am there will only be a coating to a few inches north of the Pike and 2-4” south of the Pike.

7am-1pm Saturday: The snow intensity increases hour by hour with the heaviest bands located over southeastern MA. By 10am we start to see some of those intense snow bands setting up in southernmost areas and the snowfall rates reaching 1-3” per hour. We could start to approach blizzard conditions in this window with winds approaching their peak. By 1pm I would expect 3-6” north of the Pike and 6-12” south of the Pike.

1pm-7pm Saturday: The storm will stay at peak for most of this timeframe. With the wind gusts and the snow intensity peaking together, we will reach white-out conditions in many areas, especially near the Coastline. Some areas could exceed 3” per hour snow rates. By 6-7pm there will be a noticeable decrease in snow intensity, the heavy bands will be losing their grip and the majority of the accumulation will be over.

7pm-Midnight Saturday: The snow tapers to moderate and then light and shuts off completely by midnight.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2022 04:45PM by Steve G..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: any beantowners here? Boston about to get rocked by blizzard
Date: January 28, 2022 04:46PM
Posted by: DP
Date: January 28, 2022 04:50PM
C'mon! That's just a dusting...

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 28, 2022 05:02PM
<stolen from twitter>

So we're all supposed to "prepare for blizzard conditions" just because the scientific establishment and the media say so? And anyone who says it will be sunny and 70 is canceled?

All's I'm saying is, lots of $ changing hands in snow shovel industry. Do your own meteorology.
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: January 28, 2022 05:52PM
hal
<stolen from twitter>

So we're all supposed to "prepare for blizzard conditions" just because the scientific establishment and the media say so? And anyone who says it will be sunny and 70 is canceled?

All's I'm saying is, lots of $ changing hands in snow shovel industry. Do your own meteorology.

People who use shovels and wear hats are living in fear.

I’m an hour from Boston and in the 12-18” zone. I am fine with the snow but not with the wind and potential outages. WFH this weekend…
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 28, 2022 06:09PM
that map is a crapshoot, as the storms like this typically swirl over the coast for a period, come back, and maybe do it again, but lighter or heavier. Still, counting on at least 12" for now. Hoping it's not 24" or more, that becomes a serious problem in the city.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: January 28, 2022 06:31PM
Can't help but admire how beautiful everything looks under two feet of new snow - especially when in the rear view mirror. gears smiley
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 28, 2022 07:04PM

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 28, 2022 09:04PM
RecipeForDisaster
I’m an hour from Boston and in the 12-18” zone. I am fine with the snow but not with the wind and potential outages. WFH this weekend…

What he said...except I'm not fine with the snow. I'm about 40 miles south of Boston, in the 18-28" zone and very much not looking forward to this. Full tank of propane for the generator, but if we're without power for more than a day, I'll need to make at least one run for a refill. Thankfully we can use the deck as a giant refrigerator so food doesn't spoil.
Date: January 28, 2022 10:44PM
DP
C'mon! That's just a dusting...

In Buffalo, we used to call it "Springtime".
Date: January 29, 2022 05:24AM
wurm
RecipeForDisaster

What he said...except I'm not fine with the snow. I'm about 40 miles south of Boston, in the 18-28" zone and very much not looking forward to this. Full tank of propane for the generator, but if we're without power for more than a day, I'll need to make at least one run for a refill. Thankfully we can use the deck as a giant refrigerator so food doesn't spoil.

I’m not THAT fine with it, ha. We have a new plow guy because ours moved(hope he’s good and reliable), and our tractor has a hydraulic leak(new one won’t be here for a couple of months) and didn’t do well plowing after the last storm. I can’t quite manage to move the generator outside and hook it up myself, and I will be technically fine without power during the day - we need it at night for CPAPs, so that’s when we run heat, fridge, well pump, charging stuff… but man, it’ll be boring if I’m home all weekend with no power/internet during the day. It'll just be shoveling. I’m risking a batch of bagels now. First world problem. My other half is going to work along with a change of clothes, pills, and food in case he needs to sleep there.

(I’m a shesmiling smiley)
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 29, 2022 08:30AM
RecipeForDisaster
wurm
RecipeForDisaster

I’m not THAT fine with it, ha. We have a new plow guy because ours moved(hope he’s good and reliable), and our tractor has a hydraulic leak(new one won’t be here for a couple of months) and didn’t do well plowing after the last storm. I can’t quite manage to move the generator outside and hook it up myself, and I will be technically fine without power during the day - we need it at night for CPAPs, so that’s when we run heat, fridge, well pump, charging stuff… but man, it’ll be boring if I’m home all weekend with no power/internet during the day. It'll just be shoveling. I’m risking a batch of bagels now. First world problem. My other half is going to work along with a change of clothes, pills, and food in case he needs to sleep there.

Oops. facepalm
Date: January 29, 2022 08:34AM
wurm
RecipeForDisaster
wurm
RecipeForDisaster

Oops. facepalm

EVERYONE online thinks I’m a guy. I talk about superhot peppers, beer, tractors, trucks… but in person, there would be no question!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 29, 2022 10:21AM
RecipeForDisaster
but in person, there would be no question!

this_thread_is_useless_without_pics

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2022 10:24AM by Speedy.
Date: January 29, 2022 10:31AM
Speedy
RecipeForDisaster

I’m too lazy to put a photo somewhere to host, and too private to post one. But 34-25-35 should paint a picture.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 29, 2022 11:13AM
RecipeForDisaster
Speedy
RecipeForDisaster

I’m too lazy to put a photo somewhere to host, and too private to post one. But 34-25-35 should paint a picture.

I get negative 26, but not sure what to do that information.

Date: January 29, 2022 11:47AM
Acer
RecipeForDisaster
Speedy
RecipeForDisaster

I get negative 26, but not sure what to do that information.

LOL!!!
Date: January 29, 2022 04:20PM
meanwhile, on Eastern Long Island
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020