advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Post about your interests and leisure activities that I don't now squat about
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 30, 2022 10:49PM
This thread about Kayaks that I posted was created for 2 reasons.
1. It was a sale on Slickdeals
2. I thought maybe it would garner some kayak discussion

I don't know a darn thing bout kayaks. I only have a few areas of knowledge. As one can see in the thread, the kayaks deal posted is not recommended and helpful, more knowledgeable people posted superior recommendations. [forums.macresource.com]

I would encourage people to post more about their hobbies and interests to spare forumites from my uninformed deal postings. Go ahead, start your own threads, water is fine. You never know who which forum members share your interests. wiggle smiley

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Post about your interests and leisure activities that I don't now squat about
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: January 30, 2022 11:04PM
I’m a loser, my only hobbies are sleeping and chasing the occasional RYF at local stores.
Re: Post about your interests and leisure activities that I don't now squat about
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 30, 2022 11:29PM
I've been in many different types of watercraft (and used to teach the American Red Cross Small Craft Course for sailboats) but, I've NEVER been in a kayak.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 30, 2022 11:48PM
kayaking is a lot harder than it looks.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davester
Date: January 30, 2022 11:55PM
So you're asking everyone else to post about their interests and leisure activities but you aren't posting about yours? Odd.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 30, 2022 11:55PM
My main hobby causes too many here to froth at the mouth.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Date: January 30, 2022 11:59PM
davester
So you're asking everyone else to post about their interests and leisure activities but you aren't posting about yours? Odd.

Not sure what you are referring to since post about photography related matters all the time.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Date: January 31, 2022 12:08AM
pRICE cUBE
davester

Not sure what you are referring to since post about photography related matters all the time.

That's your profession that we all know way more than squat about. You haven't discussed interests or leisure activities that we don't know about, other than pRon.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: January 31, 2022 12:13AM
my only hobbies are sleeping and chasing the occasional RYF at local stores.

I spend an inordinate amount of time in this category.

Well, except when the RYF deals involve Walmart and Target B&Ms.

All near me never have B&M only deals even when Brickseeker says they do.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: January 31, 2022 01:20AM
davester
pRICE cUBE
davester

That's your profession that we all know way more than squat about. You haven't discussed interests or leisure activities that we don't know about, other than pRon.

I shoot for enjoyment and compensation. I don’t have another other hobbies other than lifting weights which I talk about in Fit Club.

Posted by: steve...
Date: January 31, 2022 02:08AM
I do a little woodworking now and then. I’ve got a table saw, router, drill press and misc. hand tools. I’ve made several specialty cabinets, mostly in Baltic Birch plywood since I don’t have a jointer or planer.

The past week I’ve also been trying to catch a mole in my backyard. I thought running my lawnmower’s exhaust through a hose down the mole’s hole had killed it but five days later there was digging again. This afternoon I tried running a water hose down the new mound/hole and let it run full blast for 10 minutes or so. I’ve used traps in the past with some success but it’s difficult locating the tunnels to put the traps in.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 31, 2022 03:13AM
steve...
I do a little woodworking now and then. I’ve got a table saw, router, drill press and misc. hand tools. I’ve made several specialty cabinets, mostly in Baltic Birch plywood since I don’t have a jointer or planer.

The past week I’ve also been trying to catch a mole in my backyard. I thought running my lawnmower’s exhaust through a hose down the mole’s hole had killed it but five days later there was digging again. This afternoon I tried running a water hose down the new mound/hole and let it run full blast for 10 minutes or so. I’ve used traps in the past with some success but it’s difficult locating the tunnels to put the traps in.

pump it full of propane, and toss a road flare on top of the opened mound. seriously.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: January 31, 2022 05:34AM
Too many interests and hobbies. This is a good idea, though - who knows who else needs advice on something we know about, or shares an interest in something weird.

Fermenting, making hot sauce, growing superhot peppers from seed (and lots of veggies, perennials)
Horses (riding, driving, optimizing upkeep for their health and enjoyment and my ease of care)
Indoor rock climbing, outdoor rappelling
Hiking, snowshoeing
Scale modeling, mostly horses and diorama type scenes and props
Kayaking, mostly sea and touring
Amateur mountain biking (I don’t take a lot of risks)
Mostly-ethnic vegetarian cooking and sourdough baking
Geocaching and letterboxing (a little USGS benchmarking)
Craft beer snob - chasing good stuff, a little aging
Weird Al & They Might Be Giants diehard fan

I know that’s not all, but it’s what I can think of right now!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 31, 2022 06:39AM
The only advice I can give is not to skimp on either cheap booze or cheap hookers. You get what you pay for.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: JoeM
Date: January 31, 2022 07:00AM
I’m a mediocre photo taker. I don’t consider myself a photographer or even an amateur photographer. But I’m pretty good at post editing on the computer in Photoshop and other applications. I also create digital art. I regularly go to Cape May, NJ where I photograph old Victorian houses in the historic area and then create digital watercolor painting of them. I also create digital abstract art in Photoshop and Illustrator.

I studied Chinese martial arts for 10 yrs in my 20s and now that I’m an old codger practice Dr Paul Lam’s Tai Chi program for arthritis.

And recently I’ve taken up baking again, looking to recreate a certain Italian cookie I used to enjoy back in Williamsburg Brooklyn when I lived there.

Jeez, I forgot to list playing guitar and bass for 54 years, songwriting (still) and recording my music in Pro Tools.

JoeM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2022 10:36AM by JoeM.
Date: January 31, 2022 07:08AM
Oh yes, I do amateur photography (I do not edit), and alcohol ink art on porcelain tiles, oil paint on 3D surfaces, and watercolor on paper.
Posted by: stephen
Date: January 31, 2022 07:17AM
I collect and blog about Argentinean wine.

I have a 20 year tradition of visiting the island of Vieques, off Puerto Rico. Never bought a home there but friends there are like extended family. My ad agency helped bring tourists back after Hurricane Maria with a pro-bono campaign.

I went to college at Emory with the Indigo Girls and was probably one of their first 100 fans. Seen them a couple of hundred times, from $2 shows at the local college bar to Newport Folk Festival. Following them introduced me to a bunch of other talented singer-songwriters: Darden Smith, Ellis Paul, Michelle Malone, Shawn Mullins, Josh Joplin, Willy Porter, Lori McKenna, James McMurtry, and others. So music is a big thing for me.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 31, 2022 08:00AM
I take care of my wife and our dogs and cats and household. And work from home doing IT stuff. My hobby is finding time to take a nap, and usually have a cat sleeping on my chest. Purring is an incredibly calming thing. Some sort of harmonic vibration thing, I dunno.

I have not done any hobby stuff since my wife took ill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2022 08:01AM by cbelt3.
Posted by: mspace
Date: January 31, 2022 09:11AM
Musician (singer/vocal coach)
Pilates over 36 yrs. Studied with master teacher for 17 yrs.
Degree in choreography, was figure skater, etc., but don't want to go splat anymore.
Work extensively with developmental/behavioral optometry and cranial osteopathy.

None of this is hobby, as I consider everything I do part of my work. Any side interests always get absorbed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2022 09:29AM by mspace.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: January 31, 2022 09:16AM
If you have not figured it out yet, I'm a pretty good source of information regarding downhill skiing and I'm a pretty big weather nerd.

I used to spend so much time in the teaching world being on the leading edge of technology in the classroom, but times have changed and that leaves me more brain cells to think about skiing.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 31, 2022 09:16AM
TV-I like collecting older mostly forgotten things. Right now I’m watching Hawaiian Eye which was never commercially released. Video Quality is terrible but it’s fun.

Dogs-love my pugs.

Homeschooling-most of my time is occupied with homeschooling teen daughter.

Church-lots going on here. Sunday morning study of Ruth, main service is the book of Matthew, men’s accountability group on Wednesday morning along with reading psalms, Daily devotional with wife, and Bible study on Thursday morning. Whew!

Mission-I meet with the same men every Wednesday afternoon. Very rewarding.

Sailing-I love to sail but rarely get the chance. Catalina 22’ goes up for sale in spring. This does not make me happy.

Edit: I forgot Ukulele! I like to figure out songs where no music is available to download. Usually from Hawaiian performers but it varies. I'm definitely very amateur.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2022 02:59PM by davemchine.
Date: January 31, 2022 09:28AM
davemchine
TV-I like collecting older mostly forgotten things. Right now I’m watching Hawaiian Eye which was never commercially released. Video Quality is terrible but it’s fun.

Dogs-love my pugs.

Homeschooling-most of my time is occupied with homeschooling teen daughter.

Church-lots going on here. Sunday morning study of Ruth, main service is the book of Matthew, men’s accountability group on Wednesday morning along with reading psalms, Daily devotional with wife, and Bible study on Thursday morning. Whew!

Mission-I meet with the same men every Wednesday afternoon. Very rewarding.

Sailing-I love to sail but rarely get the chance. Catalina 22’ goes up for sale in spring. This does not make me happy.

I raced and cruised a lot, and miss it so much. I wish I had a friend with a sailboat now.

I forgot music - I dabble in accordion now but played violin very seriously for decades - played dinner music, at weddings, in orchestras.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: January 31, 2022 09:29AM
Same as Racer X . Also throw sticks at deer and elk .
Date: January 31, 2022 09:38AM
I appreciate the sharing of interests. I think it helps to spur more conversations. I was also aiming more toward posting new threads about your interests for others to share as well.

Posted by: pdq
Date: January 31, 2022 09:55AM
steve...

We used to try to eliminate their food source by putting "grub control" down in the spring, but that's a lot of insecticide, and you have to keep doing it every year, and even then we got some moles. Lately, I've had some success with scissors traps like this (which are pretty dog-safe):

I try to find a recent tunnel and set the trap (which is pretty easy-peasy - you just step on the top). If it's not sprung by the next day, I'll move it to another tunnel. I usually get one in a day or two. Not cheap, but fairly effective, and it'll last forever.
Date: January 31, 2022 10:04AM
Far too many to count. Here are the main ones:

Riding vintage racing and touring bicycles. I used to race but now my racing bikes are considered vintage so I joined a vintage riding group. I still do multi-day tours and centuries (100+ mile day rides).

Vintage sports cars. I have two, a 1971 MGBGT and a 1965 Austin Healey Sprite. The Sprite is currently in pieces so I'll be putting it back together in the next few months.

Woodworking. Mostly home projects like building kitchen cabinets, fences, gates, etc. I have a LOT of power tools including a new Sawstop table saw that takes up a lot of space. Note that this and the two interests above consume my entire garage and then some. I need more space!

Downhill skiing. I'm retiring this week so will be doing a lot more of this.

Sailing. I own two windsurfers but I mostly sail OPBs (Other People's Boats), both racing and leisure, these days. I'm shortly leaving for Mexico to help sail a retired colleague's 46' catamaran down the coast of central America and through the Panama Canal.

Hiking, camping and backpacking. This has tailed off recently but I did climb two 14ers two years ago (Mt Whitney and White Mountain Peak).

Environmental geology is my profession, but in my retirement I'm going back to tectonics and sedimentology and am planning some field projects with my PhD advisor.

Photography. Just amateur stuff and my post-processing skills are marginal, but I do turn out some nice images on occasion.

Guitar. Definitely amateurish. Perhaps I'll take some lessons in retirement.

Travel. I love visiting countries and cultures I haven't seen. Go away Covid!! I need to work on my bucket list.

Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: January 31, 2022 10:13AM
srf1957
Same as Racer X . Also throw sticks at deer and elk .

Atlatl?

I considered taking that up as a skill related to juggling. Decided my backyard wasn't big or secure enough.

Todd's early-technology board
Date: January 31, 2022 10:20AM
davemchine

For decades I've been trying to find a copy of Sadbird. A CBS Playhouse special that was broadcast once in the sixties.

Another show I would love to see again is Taggart's Treasure, starring the recently-passed David Gulpilil. Saw this 1976 Australian telemovie show on some station in Berkeley around that same time.

Todd's nostalgia board
Posted by: lost in space
Date: January 31, 2022 10:20AM
jdc
kayaking is a lot harder than it looks.

For me, the range of difficulties in kayaking can be as wide as it is for bicycling. In both hobbies, I stayed in the milder range: biking paved trails around SF Bay, kayaking in calm waters.

Date: January 31, 2022 10:30AM
Great thread.

Became a juggler while in graduate school. Specialized in devil sticks and diabolo. Wrote some papers about them that were eventually published as books. That helped secure some jobs as a juggling instructor at circus schools in Europe.

The above is an introduction to why I collect antique diabolo postcards. Folks who might be interested in seeing them can view a short (2' 33") youtube video I created. Borrowed the presentation style from the 3000 Years of Art film that the Smothers Brothers aired on their show.

Todd's clavier ancien
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: January 31, 2022 10:35AM
Boats: Mainly as a hole in the water into which I throw money: B.O.A.T: Break Out Another Thou$and).

Cameras: My Canon 5DMkIII. Spends long spans of time sitting on a shelf until I break it out again. The time period is the minimum required for me to forget what I learned during the previous session.

Computers: Something drives me to build Hackintoshes. I have built two and the second is my main computer. When/if AAPL releases an M1 tower/lappy capable of driving three external 4K displays, I will probably buy it. Unless it's $10,000. Then I will buy two.

Kids: Not really a hobby in themselves, but I volunteer to support their activities (marching band (where I also take pictures) and swimming).

Basement: Constantly fighting the clutter in the unfinished basement so I can use it as a workshop or get it finished someday.
Date: January 31, 2022 11:35AM
Main one for me is guitar building, mostly acoustic guitars (2 electrics, one uke). Most are commissioned, shipped as far as England. Switched from steel string to classical about five years ago. I have a dedicated shop with insulation and vapor barriers to control temp and humidity. It started out purely as a hobby but has turned into a nice supplement to our income, especially since I retired.

I'm also the family IT guy, but not by choice.

When I was into cars, I had some Austin Healey 3000s, a 55 Thunderbird, and a string of Volvos--'59 to '72. I have a B&W darkroom that I haven't used in ten years.

In the 90s at Apple, there was a group of us who kayaked/camped up and down the coast, sometimes rivers, sometimes bays. For each paddle, one of us would be responsible for planning: where to put in, takeout, tide info to take care of currents, etc.

Posted by: mspace
Date: January 31, 2022 12:17PM
Did you go to MIT?

They used to have a big contingent of jugglers I would watch when I was in the area.

Todd's keyboard
Great thread.

Became a juggler while in graduate school. Specialized in devil sticks and diabolo. Wrote some papers about them that were eventually published as books. That helped secure some jobs as a juggling instructor at circus schools in Europe.

The above is an introduction to why I collect antique diabolo postcards. Folks who might be interested in seeing them can view a short (2' 33") youtube video I created. Borrowed the presentation style from the 3000 Years of Art film that the Smothers Brothers aired on their show.

Todd's clavier ancien
Date: January 31, 2022 12:58PM
The MIT Juggling Club is well known. Not sure about how it is doing with the pandemic, and I suspect it is still pretty strong.

My first graduate school was at Mankato State in Minnesota. The first term was not on campus, though. The Department of Experiential Education specialized in outdoor, wilderness education. We were based out of an old camp in northern Minnesota (near Cass Lake).

I was still working for the New Games Foundation and had to jet off on weekends to conduct some trainings. Met a juggler one weekend in Fargo, North Dakota, and switched my focus from outdoor, experiential ed to how to learn and teach juggling skills. Fortunately, my advisor was very open minded.

Todd's now-which-horse-was-I-on-when-we-first-got-wet board?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 31, 2022 01:02PM
Trail riding with my quad or side by side with friends.

Sitting by the campfire with some friends eating and drinking after a day on the trails.

Woodworking as a profession. Retired journeyman carpenter at GM, now it's strictly a hobby but I have ALL the toys to shape wood pretty much any way I want.

Cannabis cultivation was a necessity for almost 30 years, now that it's legal in MI, I'm on a sabbatical from growing right now, trying out strains from nearby dispensaries. To me, growing it is as satisfying as smoking it. smoking smiley

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: January 31, 2022 01:11PM
So many of you are into interesting pursuits. Would love for there to be an increase of regular posts about these for discussion and sharing of ideas.

Posted by: Spiff
Date: January 31, 2022 01:25PM
Lessee, Lotsa stuff!

Music: I play the violin and to a lesser extent mandolin (strung the same - chords still get me). Love listening to music! I have no true expensive audiophile equipment, but I'm getting there. Each step takes me further down the rabbit hole. Looking forward to the HE560s.

Exercise: Love Love Love. However, I have three reasons why it's curtailed. 2 are 5 years old and one is 9. I used to go to the gym and loved weight work. Cycling is a passion. I peaked in college and was quite competitive. I now ride a recumbent (due to medical issues), but I am slowly upgrading to much better components. I have SRAM Force AXS and looking to get RolfPrima wheels, soon.

Photography: I really like taking pictures. Have not had nearly the time to devote to processing them. I look forward to getting into this more as time goes by

Woodworking: Love it! Have made baby gates for the house (sturdy, will be there after the house falls down) and lots of other improvements. The sticking point: Wife flat out refuses to let me get a table saw.

Dancing: Was a pretty darn good tap dancer at one point. I always dream of getting back into it. Good exercise. Just gotta find a place where I will not be in a class of teenagers (kinda creepy).

So there ya go. For now.
Date: January 31, 2022 02:19PM
Spiff
Woodworking: Love it! Have made baby gates for the house (sturdy, will be there after the house falls down) and lots of other improvements. The sticking point: Wife flat out refuses to let me get a table saw. .

You really need to get a table saw (or track saw) if you're going to do serious woodworking. Is the wife against the table saw because of the danger or because of the space? If danger, then get yourself a Sawstop (will cost you some bucks though). If space, get yourself a good track saw, which can do 70% of what a table saw will do and has some additional functions besides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2022 02:20PM by davester.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: January 31, 2022 02:31PM
Davester: Its the safety thing. I have extolled the virtues of Sawstop. She does not want me getting one. I might have to put my foot down one of these days. Sigh.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 31, 2022 03:26PM
Spiff
Davester: Its the safety thing. I have extolled the virtues of Sawstop. She does not want me getting one. I might have to put my foot down one of these days. Sigh.

when you cut your hand off, you'll NEVER hear the end of it...
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 31, 2022 04:48PM
I had a friend who cut his thumb off on a table saw. They took his pointer figure and turned it into his thumb somehow, although it didn't look like a thumb. I am terrified of table saws.

Date: January 31, 2022 05:04PM
$tevie
I had a friend who cut his thumb off on a table saw. They took his pointer figure and turned it into his thumb somehow, although it didn't look like a thumb. I am terrified of table saws.

Most dangerous tool in the shop, by far. That's why they created the Sawstop with flesh sensor. You touch the blade and in milliseconds the blade is violently shot downwards and embedded in a block of aluminum. There are some cool videos of folks trying it out on hot dogs. The creator also did one of him using his actual finger and came away with a tiny scratch.

Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 31, 2022 05:10PM
davester
$tevie

Most dangerous tool in the shop, by far. That's why they created the Sawstop with flesh sensor. You touch the blade and in milliseconds the blade is violently shot downwards and embedded in a block of aluminum. There are some cool videos of folks trying it out on hot dogs. The creator also did one of him using his actual finger and came away with a tiny scratch.
I Googled and holy crow are they expensive. It looks like for now I'm going to have to keep hiding in the bedroom, with my fingers in my ears and praying, when my husband is using his table saw.

Date: January 31, 2022 05:16PM
Spiff

The other danger in using tablesaws is its ability to launch a sizeable chunk of wood across the shop, though it's not likely to happen with the proper safety equipment and proper attention paid to materials.

They scare me to death. I'll do just about anything to avoid using mine. I wish I could get along without one.

Bosch has an equivalent to the Saw Stop. As I understand it, it's a job site saw and doesn't have the accuracy of a cabinet saw like the Saw Stop, but is considerably smaller and cheaper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2022 05:18PM by lost in space.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 31, 2022 05:24PM
Virtually EVERYTHING in a woodworking shop is sharp enough to cut you badly. Wood chisels, router bits, drill bits, plus dozens more. Even while being super careful, I managed to shoot a nail from a pneumatic nail gun right through the webbing in my hand, between the index finger and thumb. No serious damage, but man, did it bleed when I yanked the nail out!

Some tips for working with sharp power tools...

Don't wear gloves while using a table saw. If the blade snags your glove, it will pull your hand right to the blade. A push stick also keeps your hands away from the blade.

Have a straight head before using said tools. You don't want to be half asleep, a few beers under your belt, or some other drug that will cloud your judgement when working. With me, "Miller Time" was always AFTER the work day is over.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: January 31, 2022 05:29PM
lost in space
The other danger in using tablesaws is its ability to launch a sizeable chunk of wood across the shop, though it's not likely to happen with the proper safety equipment and proper attention paid to materials.

That's much less of an issue now that saws are required to be equipped with riving knives and zero clearance inserts. Of course, those don't work when morons remove them.

As to cost, yes they're expensive, but the additional cost is vastly less than the cost of an ER visit plus physical therapy plus being disabled for the rest of your life.

I was using an older non-Sawstop, non-riving-knife saw up until fairly recently. However, it was completely equipped with zero clearance inserts, Shark guards (poor man's riving knife substitute and guard), and I always used magnetic featherboards and good push sticks. If you don't use a Sawstop it is idiotic to use a table saw without all of those things in place, IMHO.

Posted by: blooz
Date: January 31, 2022 07:43PM
Dance—salsa, waltz, cha cha etc. The last two years have been hell on me but things are opening up a bit now. I'm thinking of going to a salsa congress in Vilnius Lithuania, of all places. I now know people there.
Dance is great because I get to put my arms around women 1/3 my age without getting slapped or arrested.
I'm also known to make art sometimes.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Don C
Date: January 31, 2022 09:13PM
Wow. What a great list of interests and skills on exhibit here!

I have been involved with folk dance. Scottish Country Dance teacher fully certified by the RSCDS but have not had a class of my own for many years, but I'll teach dance at a Burns Night Dinner and then like.

More recently I have run the local English Country Dance club. Had hoped to restart this week, but COVID counts are still too high, so we will wait a few more weeks.

We have also been "faithful attenders" of our International dance group.

My wife used to be among the better dancers in all of these groups, but memory issues have made knowing what to do hard for her. Her personal identity was centered around being a leader and having to be a follower is really hard to accept. I would like to go to dance events outside of the immediate area, but she would not go and staying home just reinforces her plight.

Walking our rescue pug is getting me a couple of miles of walking in every day. If it is just the two of us, the walk can be pretty fast (between stops, of course). Wife joining us slows down the walk considerably but at least we are out. Part of the walk is along the Ohio River which is nicer than just along the streets.

Summer gets me out in the yard where I am trying to tame a pollinator garden. I need a lot more discipline to do it right.
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 31, 2022 10:45PM
I've owned a 53-year-old 32' sailboat since 1991, and sailed it on the west, north, and east coasts. I'd like to say I do a lot of sailing and racing, and I guess I do, but in reality I REALLY do a lot of maintenance, the tools for which include at least one verboten instrument mentioned already in this thread. Truth be told, while they both deserve continuous respect and vigilance, a router is a more frightening power tool than a table saw.

I've been a choral accompanist since I was in seventh grade and still play the piano from time to time.

I've been a downhill skiier since the age of six. My dad is 83 and is still skiing too.

And I recently started an Italian scooter fetish. Vespas are the Macs of scooters in many ways.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2022 10:46PM by tenders.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 01, 2022 08:17AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 109
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020