advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
This time for the midwesterners, how much snow?
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 02, 2022 03:23PM
Here in mid Michigan, it rained yesterday (Tuesday) and turned to snow very early Wednesday morning. We're at about 7 inches with the snow still falling and are forecast to get another 7 before it ends.

All primary schools are closed. And there was no early morning suspense; everything was called off last night.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: This time for the midwesterners, how much snow?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 02, 2022 03:30PM
might get a dusting

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 02, 2022 03:34PM
I'm north of you here in MI and we dodged a bullet up here in St. Helen. Not one flake of snow.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: February 02, 2022 04:48PM
Nothing but cold in Minneapolis.
Posted by: RgrF
Date: February 02, 2022 05:41PM
kurtzie

Where today in St. Paul the US will be playing an international soccer match in shorts in sub zero temperatures against a South American opponent - not sure why they didn't schedule it for nighttime or even midnight.

Idjits!
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 02, 2022 05:45PM
We're on the southeast edge of this one here in the 'burgh. Mostly rain, but it may become an ugly mix tomorrow night. It's the sort of forecast that usually fizzles to nothing unless you happen to be in just the wrong spot.

Posted by: DP
Date: February 02, 2022 06:02PM
So far, north of Detroit, I've gotten 6-7" but it did stay warm later than expected. That said, I just came in from the second shoveling session today, and I can't remember having this kind of snow in a long time.

This morning, it was slush and my snow thrower couldn't handle it. It was like glue-it was sticky, heavy, and thank goodness I went out then because I only had to shovel about two inches of this gooey slop.

I had sprayed my thrower chute with cooking spray and that worked for two minutes and had to resort to the shovel. Took my time (to keep from a heart attack), sprayed the shovel with cooking oil, and that lasted three minutes. Shovel, toss, tap off the stuck snow, then shovel again what I already shoveled!

So this evening it is getting colder but still on the bottom layer it's slush and the snow stuck to my auger blades too! Then the auger belt came off. I slipped it back on even tho I couldn't see much as it's getting dark. Ran it again and this time I'm smelling hot rubber and the belt is off again!

Had to finish with the sticky shovel again and just came in a few minutes ago. Just downed a cold beer but I'm steaming about the snow thrower and this weird sticky snow.

But it never snowed hard. Steady but small flakes. Still supposed to snow all night with another three maybe but it should be more powdery with the temp falling. It better be...

Resident Cardinal...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: Don C
Date: February 02, 2022 07:54PM
Southern Indiana across the river from Louisville has been light rain all day. Forecast had been for heavy rain, but that never materialized; just misty stuff. More rain tomorrow, but that turns to ice and sleet followed by snow. Ice could be more than half an inch here followed by a few inches of snow.

Down south and west where the tornados did so much damage in december there could be really nasty ice issues. State police and national guard are ready to go. Just north of us several inches of snow are predicted. The Ohio River seems to be a dividing line between lots of ice (south) and lots of snow (north).
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 03, 2022 12:04AM
Snowing since about 8pm and supposed to get up to 12”.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 03, 2022 05:48AM
Try using your snowblower like a plow, that is if you can turn the auger off which I can on my blower.

DP
So far, north of Detroit, I've gotten 6-7" but it did stay warm later than expected. That said, I just came in from the second shoveling session today, and I can't remember having this kind of snow in a long time.

This morning, it was slush and my snow thrower couldn't handle it. It was like glue-it was sticky, heavy, and thank goodness I went out then because I only had to shovel about two inches of this gooey slop.

I had sprayed my thrower chute with cooking spray and that worked for two minutes and had to resort to the shovel. Took my time (to keep from a heart attack), sprayed the shovel with cooking oil, and that lasted three minutes. Shovel, toss, tap off the stuck snow, then shovel again what I already shoveled!

So this evening it is getting colder but still on the bottom layer it's slush and the snow stuck to my auger blades too! Then the auger belt came off. I slipped it back on even tho I couldn't see much as it's getting dark. Ran it again and this time I'm smelling hot rubber and the belt is off again!

Had to finish with the sticky shovel again and just came in a few minutes ago. Just downed a cold beer but I'm steaming about the snow thrower and this weird sticky snow.

But it never snowed hard. Steady but small flakes. Still supposed to snow all night with another three maybe but it should be more powdery with the temp falling. It better be...

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 03, 2022 06:22AM
kurtzie

Yep, no new snow and it’s -18° as I write this. But next week we’ll have one day where it gets up above freezing, maybe 39°. I may do a little sunbathing. We have about 10” of snow on the ground and it isn’t going to melt much today with a high of +1°. I’ll take the cold over an ice storm any day.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: February 03, 2022 07:04AM
We got about 3 inches in GR. The snow was to end about 7-8pm but abruptly stopped at about 5:30pm, so I was able to go and blow all of the snow and not have to worry about more accumulation after I went to bed.

Edit:

My house got about 3 inches, the official NWS airport measurement is5".

The arts are not luxuries but assets that give way more than they cost.
--Ronald Tucker on YouTube

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.
--Frank Zappa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2022 04:26PM by Sam3.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: February 03, 2022 09:26AM
I think we got 8 or 9 inches in Detroit proper. Similar to DP, I went out in the afternoon yesterday and shoveled the wet slushy snow before it froze overnight and about to tackle a quick shovel hopefully before heading in to work this afternoon soon as I finish this coffee
Posted by: gabester
Date: February 03, 2022 12:25PM
Rain then snow then freezing is always my favorite weather combination... well, except maybe the always fun rain then freezing then snow. About 9-10 inches here.

g=
Posted by: AllGold
Date: February 03, 2022 12:59PM
We ended up with about a foot here.

Edit: 13.3" to be exact.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2022 03:24AM by AllGold.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 95
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020