advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I have more teas than I need, and just order more. I may need an intervention...
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 04, 2022 03:16PM
So, I may have related at some point a few years ago that I gave up a decades long soda "habit"... about a liter and a half a day of (diet, in the end) Mt. Dew.

Well, I eventually decided I needed something other than water during the day for a little flavor with my hydration, so, I went with Tea. Hot tea. With sugar, but, considerably less sugar than the soda's had, and considerably less phosphorus that was giving me PVC's (pre-ventricular contractions... a couple times a minute, it felt like my heart stifled a sneeze... they've almost entirely disappeared now).

I've tried a BUNCH of different teas. Being a bit of an Anglophile, I settled on Earl Grey as my "regular daily" tea. A nice loose leaf from Taylors of Harrogate.

I keep trying other Earl Grey's, or "Earl Grey Adjacent" teas. I brought back what might be my favorite tea yet from London in 2020 (just before "the troubles" started) - Fortnum and Mason "FortMason" tea.

I have literally DOZENS of teas at home that I bought to try, and found they're not my jam.
Green teas (a couple Chinese green teas, I like, otherwise, it's all grass clippings)
Assam and Darjeeling (a little too bitter), English Breakfast (a LOT too bitter), and a BUNCH of Earl Grey's that "weren't quite right".

My favorite "non-Earl Grey" teas are from Laoshan village, in China... harvested by the He family (My god, does that ever make me sound like a pompous tea snob!)... Rich, mellow, with hints of wood and chocolatey flavors. (*cough cough, Verdant Tea cough cough*)...

I just ordered 5 more 25 gram bags of the Spring 2021 Harvest Laoshan Black tea...
What was I thinking? I have, like, five bags already, and, maybe five POUNDS of other teas to use up!

Not ten minutes after ordering those for $35... OK, I slipped in a bag of a tea called "Yu Lu Lan Cha" too... sue me...
Anyway, not 10 minutes later, I checked a web site of a nice little book and tea shop in Red Lodge, Montana. I visited there about 10 years ago, and bought a bag of "Odin's Armpits" tea, which is not gross, which you might think by the name. It's got some flowers, and cinammon, and walnut shells, in it... It's very nice. Well, after nearly a year of it being out of stock, it was back!
So, I bought 250g of that, too. Another $30.

Crikey, is it any wonder I can't afford a new iPhone?
I spend all my money on tea!

Did I mention I'm going back to London later this month? Probably gonna bring back something from Twinnings, and some more FortMason from Fortnums...

Gonna have to hold a "leftover tea giveaway" at work just to make room!

Do I need a 12 step program? Or just a better quality tea mug and more tins to store tea?

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2022 03:19PM by Paul F..
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I have more teas than I need, and just order more. I may need an intervention...
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 04, 2022 03:25PM
I had about 60 varieties of tea at one point, mostly loose-leaf from a lovely little tea shop that I'd stop at while out for a walk.

I downsized in this fashion: Any tea that wasn't something that I enjoyed a whole lot or wasn't foil-bagged or in a tin for freshness got dumped into a big jar. All together.

And then for several months I brewed a half gallon a day (and drank it!) until it was all gone. Rarely missed a day. Some days I dumped it in a container and saved it as iced tea.

They mixed surprisingly well. I wasn't sure about some of the "Christmas" teas, but the spices added a neat kick.

Re: I have more teas than I need, and just order more. I may need an intervention...
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 04, 2022 03:26PM
While H&B is the general 2-letter recommendation from this forum, there is another letter which does complement Tea...
Posted by: hal
Date: February 04, 2022 03:31PM
send it all over here - I'm not that picky - I'll make use of it...
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: February 04, 2022 03:36PM
Roobois lover here...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: February 04, 2022 03:41PM
Markintosh
Roobois lover here...

I've tried a couple varieties of Roobois... I can't get past how much it reminds me of sawdust. The flavor is nice, but, there's a scent or taste note that says "you boiled up some sawdust".

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Schpark
Date: February 04, 2022 03:41PM
Yogi Mango Ginger tea is my replacement for coffee and I have it every day. Occasionally have an evening green tea.
Date: February 04, 2022 04:07PM
Tiangou
I had about 60 varieties of tea at one point, mostly loose-leaf from a lovely little tea shop that I'd stop at while out for a walk.

I downsized in this fashion: Any tea that wasn't something that I enjoyed a whole lot or wasn't foil-bagged or in a tin for freshness got dumped into a big jar. All together.

And then for several months I brewed a half gallon a day (and drank it!) until it was all gone. Rarely missed a day. Some days I dumped it in a container and saved it as iced tea.

They mixed surprisingly well. I wasn't sure about some of the "Christmas" teas, but the spices added a neat kick.

Hmm... if i discard the repulsive "prickley pear" tea I got a couple years ago, the rest might make a nice "all-in" brew!
Thanks for the idea!

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 04, 2022 04:09PM
Here, let me just help you with that.....

[sevencups.com]
Date: February 04, 2022 04:11PM
anonymouse1
Here, let me just help you with that.....

[sevencups.com]

Darn you! LOL...

(Thanks, but, not today... maybe next week, LOL)

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: February 04, 2022 04:14PM
India Spice Chai here (Celestial Seasonings)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 04, 2022 04:35PM
Mrs. cbelt3 and I became enraged when Twining's changed the Earl Grey recipe. The bergamot became overwhelming. How DARE they !
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 04, 2022 04:41PM
Do you use metal balls, or do you prefer tea bagging it?

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: February 04, 2022 04:55PM
I’m a coffee snob, but my other half is a tea collector and appreciator. I just got him a pound of lapsang souchong - he loves smoky flavors. He brews it in a metal ball. He usually likes Earl grey and English breakfast.
Date: February 04, 2022 05:11PM
cbelt3
Mrs. cbelt3 and I became enraged when Twining's changed the Earl Grey recipe. The bergamot became overwhelming. How DARE they !

Don't tell anyone I told you, but, if you order from the Twinings.co.uk site, you get the "English blend" Earl Grey in the blue tin... not the "Export blend" Earl Grey in the yellow tin. Much better! Got that tip from the guy at the tea tasting bar at the Twinnings London shop!

Also, DO buy the Mrs. a tin of the Taylors of Harrogate Earl Grey... she might decide she likes that one better.

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 04, 2022 05:12PM
I would buy Taylors Yorkshire Gold, but the local supermarkets I usually visit don't seem to stock it.

Mix your hobbies, cast a tea ball from wheel weights...

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: February 04, 2022 05:12PM
Racer X
Do you use metal balls, or do you prefer tea bagging it?

Metal "cup liner" type infuser all the way... unless I'm at work, where I use disposable tea bags you can fill with your own loose leaf tea. The stuff they put in commercial tea bags are the leftovers swept off the floor...

Paul F.
-----
----

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 04, 2022 05:24PM
I got a bud what used to be a red wine snob. We wiped out the last of his "collection" last Jan.

Now he's a tea snob. He goes every year to visit a friend in China where he got tea educated and brings back insanely expensive tea that would be even more insane here.
I've had a few, but I guess my palate isn't as talented as his.
Although he did give some of the real deal lapsang, man that was awesome.!

I go for bulk Gunpowder green from beezee, and bulk Earl and Masala Chai Rooibos from [www.herbco.com].

Drink too much to bother with the cost of bag tea.
Used to get Yogi, Tazo, Bengal Spice and Twinnings bags. But at ~$4/2z aka $32/lb, bulk is a 1/3 cheaper, takes up less room, is better than the bag I used to get and lasts a long time.
Spouse goes for decaf IBT from TJs.

Got a couple friends who used to work as coffee traders and are now roasters.
I buy from them. Mostly Ethiopian medium roast. And one other roaster my brother stumbled on.
Couple pounds last me a month.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 04, 2022 05:43PM
.....thought that guys love looking at a lot of......TeaTeas.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 04, 2022 06:00PM
Several years ago, I replaced my Diet Coke habit with plain carbonated water (a group of my research students bought me a Sodastream as a gift) ... and for the most part, I haven't looked back. It is really the carbonation that I like, though getting off the caffeine was tough.

As for teas -- I do enjoy every so often, not nearly so much a "snob" as you though. I really like the Twinings sampler that includes a new favorite, Lady Grey ... a heavier dose of the bergamot in that one, relative to Earl Grey. For herbals, I really like Stash's Licorice Spice tea (though licorice does increase BP) and some of the Teavana ones (sad that they're now out of business).

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 04, 2022 06:04PM
So — 'Don't teas me'?

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: rouderon
Date: February 04, 2022 07:23PM
Like Recipe, I’m also a coffee snob. However, my wife’s friend turned us on to Pukka tea. Peppermint licorice, to be precise, which I initially thought sounded disgusting! I’m a black coffee guy, but definitely need sweetener in my tea. Surprisingly, I needed no sweetener in my peppermint licorice! Amazon has a Pukka variety box, and though all the samples were good, I didn’t find any that surpassed the peppermint licorice.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 04, 2022 07:33PM
Lapsang Souchong?

No, tea!

[youtu.be]

(I searched for this for years, glad it's been uploaded!)
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: February 04, 2022 08:02PM
Have a tea party?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 05, 2022 04:24PM
I always wondered about the blue vs gold Earl Grey boxes.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: dk62
Date: February 07, 2022 10:01AM
PG tips instead of English Breakfast. Strong taste that does not become bitter even if you leave it steeping too long (the common cause of bitterness). Other than that, oolong from Taiwan.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020