Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Listeria hysteria ... watch out for your salad
Posted by: PeterB
Date: February 05, 2022 06:10PM
I didn't see this posted anywhere: [www.cnn.com]

For Dole and a number of other branded salads ... two dead and 13 hospitalizations...

They had already put out a recall, but I guess some folks weren't aware? And surprising that there'd still be salads out there with best buy dates that aren't long past, and so you'd think they'd have been spoiled by now.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Listeria hysteria ... watch out for your salad
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 05, 2022 07:12PM
I haven't seen bagged salad on the shelf at the supermarket for a couple of months now.

Turns out that the safety of produce falls under the FDA. I wonder whether perhaps they've been a little distracted lately with something else.

Posted by: kap
Date: February 05, 2022 07:25PM
We always 3+x wash our prewashed salad; someone said it's not on the leaves nor the stems; it is the root which take up nutrients from the ground. Where do we go from here?

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 05, 2022 08:00PM
we go through a pound or so of organic spring mix every week for our tortoise Glen. She hasn't said anything. I think her natural salmonella kills of the listeria anyway smiley-shocked003

But she is a Cossack princess, and isn't afraid of anything.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2022 08:00PM by Racer X.
Date: February 05, 2022 09:06PM
Tiangou
I haven't seen bagged salad on the shelf at the supermarket for a couple of months now.

Turns out that the safety of produce falls under the FDA. I wonder whether perhaps they've been a little distracted lately with something else.

That's bizarre (that it falls under the FDA) ... I would have for sure thought it'd have fallen under the USDA, but you're right, and further, a quick Googling turned up how messed-up the system is: [www.brandeis.edu] (I love this line: "The USDA regulates catfish, while the FDA regulates tuna.")

And I presume you're referring to corona-related drugs about the distractedness...?

Posted by: steve...
Date: February 05, 2022 11:29PM
From the link: The recalls began at the end of December and are for products with "Best if used by" dates from November 30, 2021, through January 9, 2022.

Wouldn't these products all have been tossed by now?

My local Safeway has had washed lettuce in stock regularly. There was only one time recently when they were out, but had more back in stock a few days later. I've been buying their O Organics Spring Mix variety.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 06, 2022 12:16AM
steve...
From the link: The recalls began at the end of December and are for products with "Best if used by" dates from November 30, 2021, through January 9, 2022.

Wouldn't these products all have been tossed by now?

My local Safeway has had washed lettuce in stock regularly. There was only one time recently when they were out, but had more back in stock a few days later. I've been buying their O Organics Spring Mix variety.

Glen's favorite too. better mix with more reds and purples.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: MikeF
Date: February 06, 2022 12:25AM
steve...
... I've been buying their O Organics Spring Mix variety.

[www.prnewswire.com]

Scroll through to the list...
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: February 06, 2022 09:12AM
What’s sad is that there’s a solution to mitigate this risk. Pure Bioscience sells a solution that is used to rinse produce and kills bacteria. It’s aqueous citric acid with ionic silver in it. Old school tech. Silver caused the cell walls to rupture. It’s partially why silverware was silver plated, not that they knew why it worked, but it worked. Copper/brass does the same thing.

[www.purebio.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Tiangou
Date: February 06, 2022 10:04AM
ztirffritz
What’s sad is that there’s a solution to mitigate this risk. Pure Bioscience sells a solution that is used to rinse produce and kills bacteria. It’s aqueous citric acid with ionic silver in it. Old school tech...

Eating silver. What could go wrong??

Date: February 06, 2022 11:48AM
ztirffritz
What’s sad is that there’s a solution to mitigate this risk. Pure Bioscience sells a solution that is used to rinse produce and kills bacteria. It’s aqueous citric acid with ionic silver in it. Old school tech. Silver caused the cell walls to rupture. It’s partially why silverware was silver plated, not that they knew why it worked, but it worked. Copper/brass does the same thing.

[www.purebio.com]

Interesting ... one could argue that trace copper might not be a bad thing, since it's something human beings need trace amounts of anyway.

Side note: I just bought a TON of Dole salads (I just happen to really like them), so hopefully I'll be OK ... I presume they've traced the source of the contamination by now, and eliminated it...

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 06, 2022 05:35PM
Listeria instead of e. coli?

Usually we here only see listeria outbreaks among Hispanics consuming homemade queso fresco..
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 06, 2022 05:44PM
.....have ended up......tossing a lot of salad....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 06, 2022 08:19PM
NewtonMP2100
.....have ended up......tossing a lot of salad....

I just knew Newt would show up with one of her witticisms... good one! grinning smiley

And it does seem we've been seeing a lot of Listeria outbreaks recently... not just prepackaged salads, but also things like cantaloupe and hot dogs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020