advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
which version of Minecraft for Mac? Minecraft Java Edition?
Posted by: clay
Date: February 07, 2022 06:30PM
Kid is interested in playing, as his friends are talking about it. I haven't paid much attention to it, but recall hearing about different versions for different types of gameplay. It would appear that Minecraft Java Edition is the one to get for the Mac ( [www.minecraft.net] ). Is this the one to get? Others to consider? Caveats? Etc, etc?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: which version of Minecraft for Mac? Minecraft Java Edition?
Date: February 07, 2022 06:32PM
also, it appears this is just a one-time purchase with no ongoing subscription required. Is that correct?
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 07, 2022 06:34PM
There is only one version of Minecraft for the Mac - Java version. You pay for it only once.
Date: February 07, 2022 06:38PM
I also have access to Windows 10 machines. Any reason to go that route instead of the Mac desktop version? Looks like the other version available for Win 10/11 is available for cross-platform play with all the other platforms. I guess it mostly depends on what his friends are using, and if they ever get into multiplayer...
Date: February 07, 2022 06:38PM
FYI Minecraft Java performs surprisingly poorly (on both PCs and Macs) considering its simplicity, as the game engine has never been overhauled. Luckily there is a simple mod which can be installed after the fact which fixes this: Optifine.

[optifine.net]

Just install and run Minecraft once. Then download the current version of Optifine and install that. From then on, select the Optifine option in the Minecraft starter and enjoy much higher framerates.
Date: February 07, 2022 06:40PM
clay
I also have access to Windows 10 machines. Any reason to go that route instead of the Mac desktop version? Looks like the other version available for Win 10/11 is available for cross-platform play with all the other platforms. I guess it mostly depends on what his friends are using, and if they ever get into multiplayer...

Exactly that. The PC and Mac Java versions support cross-platform play between them.

The Windows 10/11 version and all other Bedrock versions (consoles, portable devices) support cross-platform play between those.

But the Java and Bedrock versions are mutually exclusive. Never the twain shall meet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 159
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020