advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Choking Safari....what's the deal?
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 09, 2022 11:12AM
So, I'm using an "infinite scroll" site on Safari (Mac OS, not iOS) like Facebook or Reddit. Maybe I have some other tabs open as one tends to do. But after a time, say 20 minutes, Safari wants to lock up. Out comes the spinning beachball, mouse clicks ignored, can't even get back to the Finder, etc. After a war of nerves it finally gives up and lets me quit it. You might tell me, "just refresh once in a while" but refreshing will often reset you back to the top of the scroll and you have to start over. This is on an M1 to boot. I was hoping it was just an old hardware/old OS thing.

What gives? Why does Safari suck in this way? Do other browsers do this? Seems like I can scroll forever on the iPhone and it happily serves.

/rant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2022 11:13AM by Acer.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Choking Safari....what's the deal?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 09, 2022 11:34AM
This article should be of interest to you: [www.macrumors.com]

Title: Safari Team Asks for Feedback Amid Accusations That 'Safari Is the Worst, It's the New IE'

Posted by: jdc
Date: February 09, 2022 11:35AM
you wanna share the site, and we can all test it?

What happens in other browsers?

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: February 09, 2022 12:54PM
I have similar problems with facebook and reddit and Amazon. They work MUCH better in Firefox but I don't know why. Even Apple's iCloud website works better in Firefox. There has got to be some behind the scenes monkey business going on and I'd like to learn how to stop it.

Ukulele music I couldn't find anywhere else.
[colquhoun.info]
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: February 09, 2022 08:30PM
That kind of site are also heavy on trackers that Safari, as opposed to other browsers, is constantly fighting against (which actually makes it better to me).
This is most likely an idealized version of what is actually going on, but I stand by it.
Sometimes I go to looper.com when I’m bored and can’t sleep. When Safari starts choking, I know it’s time to call it a night…
Posted by: d4
Date: February 10, 2022 07:46AM
Just say you're on Facebook. There's no shame in that smiling smiley

Posted by: Acer
Date: February 10, 2022 09:57AM
I'm only on FaceBook for research purposes.
Posted by: fauch
Date: February 10, 2022 05:56PM
I have never understood why Apple finds it necessary to stubbornly persist with developing apps that they are just not good at. Safari is a perfect example. Firefox and Chrome are just better, have always been better, and will always BE better. Or Apple Maps for iOS. It will never hold a candle to Google Maps, so why do they pretend that it does?

I get it that Google is the competition, but still, who are they kidding? Safari IS the "Internet Exploder" for Mac. They need to just own it, make it functional enough to download a real browser, and just pretend it's not there. I would much rather they focus their energies on things that the average user actually wants and would benefit from.

Yes I know some people actually use and prefer Safari, but for the life of me, I can't fathom why.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020