advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is yellow Elmer's much better than white Elmer's for gluing splintered door.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 26, 2007 10:59AM
One of those louvered closet doors got kicked and splintered off a 8" long by 3" wide tapered (like a shark tooth) piece that was holding in the little wheel that slides along the track at the top. I don't have any yellow glue. Also, I wonder if I should put some dowels in it. It fits back in place nicely and will be easy to clamp. What do y'all recommend?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is yellow Elmer's much better than white Elmer's for gluing splintered door.
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: March 26, 2007 11:01AM
I like red--

Re: Is yellow Elmer's much better than white Elmer's for gluing splintered door.
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: March 26, 2007 11:03AM
Seriously--I don't know that you'd risk anything by trying the white, but how 'bout ponying up for the real wood glue? What's it like $3.99?

Posted by: iaJim
Date: March 26, 2007 11:04AM
Get some Gorilla Glue. That stuff works like magic!
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 26, 2007 11:05AM
I would recommend getting the yellow wood glue....though the white elmers would probably work fine.

I would NOT dowel the piece if it fits well, as you'll probably tear it up trying to dowel it so that it will NOT fit.

Glue it, clamp to dry....
Then if you feel the need, drill through the repair with a small drill and use some round toothpicks as dowels. Should be an easy repair to cover.

Hope this helps!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: billb
Date: March 26, 2007 11:12AM
As above, wood glue.
Would only reinforce the repair after it's glued and clamped. Set for two/three days.
Screw or dowel.

Screw would be removeable.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: March 26, 2007 12:28PM
Not to beat a dead horse <rimshot> but a second on Gorilla Glue - that stuff is the toughest glue I've ever used but you have to
clean it off at the foam up point if you use too much - follow the instructions

Posted by: Paul F.
Date: March 26, 2007 12:58PM
My only objection to Gorilla Glue is that it has a short shelf life compared to Elmers Wood Glue.
Seems like every time I need Gorilla GLue, my bottle is hardened up, and I have to go buy another one... but I'm still working on the same bottle of wood glue I've been using for years.

For this repair, I think yellow wood glue is probably just as good as Gorilla Glue.
If the piece was more structural, I'd say go buy a bottle of GG!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: RonT
Date: March 26, 2007 01:56PM
Elmers white wood glue will do the job just fine. No need to go out and purchase anything else. Glue it, clamp it for 24 hours and then forget it.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 26, 2007 02:40PM
Do not use Gorilla Glue on wood. It's great for a lot of surfaces, but not wood.

Yellow glue is wood glue. And basically, it's the same as white glue, only thicker so it doesn't run so easily. Makes it neater to apply.

As RonT says, white glue will be just fine. Glue, clamp, and if you're handy, reinforce.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: March 26, 2007 03:56PM
Clamping is the key. I would recommend wood glue with clamps.

Gorilla glue is ok, but to me it's more expensive, and, like Paul F. the last small bottle I bought had hardened solid the 2nd time I went to use it.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: tronnei
Date: March 26, 2007 04:09PM
Paul F.
I'm still working on the same bottle of wood glue I've been using for years.

I'm still using bottles from the 1970s; the glue is fine.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: March 26, 2007 04:11PM
RAMd®d
Do not use Gorilla Glue on wood. It's great for a lot of surfaces, but not wood.

Yellow glue is wood glue. And basically, it's the same as white glue, only thicker so it doesn't run so easily. Makes it neater to apply.

As RonT says, white glue will be just fine. Glue, clamp, and if you're handy, reinforce.

What you talking about Rammy ? GG is great for wood as long as you follow the directions.

You need to dampen the surface if the woods moisture content is really low
less than 10%

It may be overkill for some repairs but it holds the tough ones.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: March 26, 2007 04:33PM
GG is great for wood as long as you follow the directions.

Ok, I over stated the case, true enough.

But white glue or yellow wood glue don't really need the same prep-- just glue and clamp.

To that end, I'll qualify that I don't see GG as "great" for wood, though there may be a situation that it does work better than traditional wood glue.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Phy
Date: March 27, 2007 12:42AM
I recommend that you stop kicking closet doors!

"Out of the quarrel with others we make rhetoric; out of the quarrel with ourselves we make poetry." -William Butler Yeats
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 64
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020