advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why does TurboTax force you to install updates? How is it so slow even though its a glorified spreadsheet?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 11, 2022 09:43PM
Someday I'll use something else. For now I'll just complain.

225MB software update....for taxes!

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why does TurboTax force you to install updates? How is it so slow even though its a glorified spreadsheet?
Posted by: SurfMacJpMtb
Date: February 11, 2022 11:24PM
Yes, agree completely

Long time Mac user
Re: Why does TurboTax force you to install updates? How is it so slow even though its a glorified spreadsheet?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 12, 2022 12:56AM
The Excel app takes up 1.97 GB in space on my machine.
Posted by: gadje
Date: February 12, 2022 06:40AM
last time I checked, the 1040 form was free to print. and all you need is a pocket calculator, or you can even do the basic math on paper and pencil. Right?

oh wait, you want software that has the latest tips, tricks, advice, updates, nice GUI, complies with the lates laws, and sends the data to the IRS for you? Sure, that 1040 paper ain't gonna do it.

225 MB is what, some seconds of download on the most basic internet connection these days?
Posted by: d4
Date: February 12, 2022 07:38AM
Glorified piece of rock.

Date: February 12, 2022 09:38AM
gadje
last time I checked, the 1040 form was free to print. and all you need is a pocket calculator, or you can even do the basic math on paper and pencil. Right?

oh wait, you want software that has the latest tips, tricks, advice, updates, nice GUI, complies with the lates laws, and sends the data to the IRS for you? Sure, that 1040 paper ain't gonna do it.

225 MB is what, some seconds of download on the most basic internet connection these days?

If my tax info was solely contained on a single 1040 form I wouldn't be using turbotax. Obviously this falls into 'good problems to have'

Posted by: raz
Date: February 12, 2022 10:03AM
New rant

They wrote their own Save dialog. I can’t put the data anywhere but the Documents folder

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Wags
Date: February 12, 2022 12:31PM
raz
New rant

They wrote their own Save dialog. I can’t put the data anywhere but the Documents folder

Can't you convert to PDF from the print window?
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 12, 2022 12:48PM
Years back I gave up on the 'getting updated software every year' mode of doing taxes. Since 2017 it's been FreeTaxUSA. Yes, it's in the cloud, and no, I don't care.
Posted by: raz
Date: February 12, 2022 01:26PM
Wags
raz
New rant

Can't you convert to PDF from the print window?

This is for saving their database file

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 12, 2022 04:01PM
I do TT online (free until you file) and Credit Karma (totally free) and compare results
Posted by: kj
Date: February 12, 2022 04:07PM
Yeah, I've always done TT online, and it's mostly faster than I am (I should be more prepared before I start it).
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: February 12, 2022 05:36PM
Lux Interior
I do TT online (free until you file) and Credit Karma (totally free) and compare results

Excellent approach!

Posted by: PeterW
Date: February 12, 2022 05:59PM
As long as you don’t mind putting your entire financial situation on someone else’s storage device.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: February 12, 2022 07:00PM
I’m sure plenty of people have already stolen my identity, maybe they’ll have better luck with it than me.

Date: February 12, 2022 09:56PM
Lux Interior

Have you found a difference in the output?

I should try that next year.

Posted by: Microman
Date: February 12, 2022 11:10PM
I use Turbotax, and Quicken.... I expect updates, as they improve and find errors. No way do I see TurboTax as a glorified spreadsheet. Just as I don't Quicken is a glorified spreadsheet. Quicken for Mac may not be as good as Quicken for Windows, but it is my favorite piece of useful software.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 13, 2022 05:59PM
Microman,

Agreed. Although I don't use TurboTax or a current version of Qucken, there is no way I'd describe them as a glorified spread sheet. Far from. I wouldn't even call them glorified databases. To describe them that way dismisses the sheer complexity of what these applications do to complete their tasks. It's like saying an automobile is a glorified horse and buggy and a car is most definitely not that!

Robert
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 13, 2022 10:51PM
mattkime
Lux Interior

Have you found a difference in the output?

I should try that next year.

Yes.

And my taxes aren't terribly complicated. I find it somewhat disconcerting.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 61
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020