advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Missing Joshua Tree Hiker - Twelve Years Later
Posted by: graylocks
Date: February 12, 2022 07:54PM
Years ago, in 2010, I posted about my best friend's brother-in-law Bill Ewasko who disappeared while hiking in Joshua Tree. There was a massive search for him and ongoing amatuer efforts for the last twelve years.

Hiker Missing in Joshua Tree
Graylocks, any news on the missing hiker?
FU: Joshua Tree missing hiker

My friend texted me today that Bill's wallet and remains had been found. It is being investigated as a homicide.

Human remains found at Joshua Tree reportedly belong to man missing since 2010

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Missing Joshua Tree Hiker - Twelve Years Later
Posted by: Ca Bob
Date: February 12, 2022 08:04PM
Condolences.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 12, 2022 09:54PM
That’s a tough one.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 12, 2022 10:05PM
I’m so sorry to hear it. My condolences to you and your friend.

JoeM
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 12, 2022 10:08PM
That's such a terrible outcome. I hope the perpetrator can be brought to justice.

Ways to improve web conference image and sound quality. [forums.macresource.com]

Posted by: A-Polly
Date: February 12, 2022 11:09PM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear. Doubtless no one was expecting a happy surprise after all these years, but what an awful shock for his family to learn that he may have been a crime victim. My condolences to all who knew him, and as pRON said, I hope the investigators will be able to locate the perpetrator(s).
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 13, 2022 05:46AM
I hope they can determine what happened and that this brings his family and friends some kind of closure.
So sorry for your loss.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 13, 2022 06:05AM
Oh dear. A closure of sorts is comforting, but the questions now extend further.
Posted by: DP
Date: February 13, 2022 06:34AM
cbelt3
Oh dear. A closure of sorts is comforting, but the questions now extend further.

This. I certainly hope the case can be solved and justice served. So sorry for your loss...

A little break from the grief...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: February 13, 2022 09:04AM
Sad news…

=wr=
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 13, 2022 10:22AM
graylocks
My friend texted me today that Bill's wallet and remains had been found. It is being investigated as a homicide.

The use of "investigated as a homicide" does not necessarily mean they suspect foul play. It just means they will collect and examine any evidence they can find and have an autopsy done on the remains to see if there is any signs that another person was involved in the death. The investigation may very well end up with a conclusion of accidental death.

The same was done in a case I am familiar with since I knew the person who died. He also worked as a bus driver with the university bus service I worked for about 40 years ago, and happened to be the other person also named "Joe" there. We both had worked that summer driving and cleaning buses to get money for the following year, then he didn't show up for his first driving shift after Labor Day during the first week of classes. A few days later police showed up to ask questions about him since he had been reported missing. Nothing turned up then. 6-7 years later the mystery of what happened to him ended when his remains were found in a woods by a hunter. Examination of his remains showed a leg injury, the missing persons investigation had found some friends who mentioned he sometimes went off on hikes alone. They closed the investigation with a finding that he had probably gone off hiking and not told anyone where he was going and injured himself badly enough that he was unable to get out of the area he was in.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 13, 2022 10:39AM
So sorry to hear of his passing. As said above, I hope all involved can now find closure.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: February 13, 2022 10:44AM
May he Rest In Peace.
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 13, 2022 12:40PM
I'm so sorry.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: February 13, 2022 02:16PM
Hope he can now be laid to rest. Hopefully he gets a full military burial, he deserves it.

Grateful11
Posted by: samintx
Date: February 13, 2022 02:18PM
So sad. Sorry for the family and your loss. Here is hoping the person is caught. Maybe on Forensic Files or 20/20 we will see the conclusion to this sad event.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 13, 2022 08:07PM
It's my understanding based on my conversations with the King County coroner here in Seattle, that all unattended deaths unless incredibly obvious circumstances, get autopsies, and are considered "suspicious" until they prove otherwise.

Remains in the wild always get thoroughly investigated. Maybe a murdered body dump, hoping animals will dispose of the remains. That sort of thing. Same thing with "floaters" in the water.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2022 08:13PM by Racer X.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: February 13, 2022 09:30PM
Certainly unlikely to be a robbery, since his wallet was found. Are there mountain lions in the area?

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 11am Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020