advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Wyze deadbolt lock and keypad, received and installed.
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 13, 2022 03:30PM
Amazon delivered the Wyze deadbolt lock and keypad I ordered yesterday, about 8pm last night. I was pleasantly surprised they actually were able to deliver the same day I ordered.
I installed the lock and the optional keypad this morning and both were pretty straightforward. I had to spend more time that was needed, trying to decide exactly where I wanted to mount the keypad, but that was just my OCD and nothing to do with Wyze. Lol
Installation wasn’t hard, just a little fiddly, but anything with small parts and screws is always a little like that. If I had to do another one, it would take a fraction of the time, which is usually how that works.
I think this lock will do what I want. I like having three ways to unlock the door, key, app, and keypad. This will give me a lot of flexibility for many potential situations.
Overall, I am happy with the choice.
Thanks to all who made recommendations and to Ombligo for mentioning the Wyze. I had not even thought of them. I liked that the Wyze let me leave the outside of the door exactly the same, and it let me keep the same keys I already have. The price was also right, as I had Amazon GC money and Discover Cashback, so it was very little out of pocket.
If you are considering getting a smart lock, give Wyze a look and see if it might work for you.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Wyze deadbolt lock and keypad, received and installed.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 13, 2022 03:47PM
While not perfect, Wyze has some good products at excellent price points. The app isn't the greatest, but it works.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Date: February 13, 2022 04:40PM
Ombligo
While not perfect, Wyze has some good products at excellent price points. The app isn't the greatest, but it works.

Since this is the only Wyze product I have, the app seems to be ok, for what I need, since I don’t need a lot of bells and whistles.
I turned off the auto-detect feature for unlocking the door, which seemed to be the thing most people complained about. I don’t need that.
I doubt I will be adding anything else, but you never know. smiling smiley
Thanks again for the recommendation. It is much appreciated.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 13, 2022 09:21PM
I am curious about the auto-detect feature.

I'm assuming that's an alert for the door being opened, whether manually or by someone using a code or app?

My question, if you know the answer, is if one has to have a Wyze account and the lock connected to it and the 'net, to know when the door is opened while one is out and about.

I'd guess without that connectivity, one wouldn't receive any notification when returning home, and the 'Phone is in proximity.

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: February 13, 2022 09:33PM
And congratulations on the install!

I am that Masked Man.

Your boos mean nothing to me, I've seen what you cheer for.

Insisting on your rights without acknowledging your responsibilities isn’t freedom, it’s adolescence.

I've been to the edge of the map, and there be monsters.

We are a government of laws, not men.

Everybody counts or nobody counts.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 14, 2022 05:30AM
RAMd®d

unlocks the door as you walk up to it via Bluetooth. Just don't get within 15' of it while you are indoors.

One of those "sounds great until the real world interferes" things.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.” -- François de La Rochefoucauld

"Those who cannot accept the past are condemned to revise it." -- Geo. Mathias
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 14, 2022 09:16AM
We use a number of Wyze products. We bought cameras when the V2 came out some years ago. One just went south a month ago and I replaced it. We have a dozen of their light bulbs. Again, one started acting wonky so I replaced it. We have their scale and 2 of their vacuum cleaners (one was $100 at Walmart.com right before Christmas). I bought several of their light switches that we'll install in a house we're building. We bought a couple of their noise-cancelling headphones. We liked them but I found them too tight so my wife sold mine and I got a pair of AirPod Pros (I like them more!). We have one of their activity trackers but my wife decided to get an Apple Watch so their tracker sits in a drawer. All-in-all I like them. Their products are at a good price point and have seemed to last pretty well. The camera was outside (not in the rain) so I'm not terribly surprised it went bad after 4-5 years. The bulb was just odd-it started dimming spontaneously for seconds at a time and a factory reset didn't make a difference so I swapped it out.
Date: February 14, 2022 09:59AM
Ombligo
RAMd®d

unlocks the door as you walk up to it via Bluetooth. Just don't get within 15' of it while you are indoors.

One of those "sounds great until the real world interferes" things.

Yep, that’s why I turned it off. I don’t want the door unlocking every time I go upstairs with my phone in my pocket. I have to go right by the front door to get to the stairs, so that’s not going to be useful to have the door locking and unlocking all the time.

Date: February 14, 2022 10:06AM
RAMd®d

I'm assuming that's an alert for the door being opened, whether manually or by someone using a code or app?

My question, if you know the answer, is if one has to have a Wyze account and the lock connected to it and the 'net, to know when the door is opened while one is out and about.

I'd guess without that connectivity, one wouldn't receive any notification when returning home, and the 'Phone is in proximity.

You can set up notifications so that you get a notification every time the door is locked or unlocked, which would be nice if you were giving someone a code to get in and you want to know when they arrive and leave.
I turned off notifications for now, as it was getting annoying during the set up, but if I had someone coming over, I would turn it back on.
It will also tell you how the lock was opened, app, key/manual, or keypad, so that’s also nice. It will also show you which code was used, so you can see who opened the door.

The auto-detect, like O said, is so the phone will open the door for you automatically like your car fob does, on some cars, when you get close enough. It might be handy if you were coming from the car with a bunch of groceries, but I come in through the garage most of the time, so I turned that “feature” off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2022 10:08AM by rgG.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 14, 2022 10:42AM
rgC,

I bet you can set it so you can use your phone to unlock the door rather than have to use a key or the touch pad. Not automatically unlock it but manually via your phone. Kind of like how I can use my phone to arm and disarm my apartment and office alarm systems. They don't turn on/off automatically when I get within X feet. I just break out my phone to arm/disarm them when I need to do so. Works nicely.

Robert
Date: February 14, 2022 10:53AM
Robert M
rgC,

I bet you can set it so you can use your phone to unlock the door rather than have to use a key or the touch pad. Not automatically unlock it but manually via your phone. Kind of like how I can use my phone to arm and disarm my apartment and office alarm systems. They don't turn on/off automatically when I get within X feet. I just break out my phone to arm/disarm them when I need to do so. Works nicely.

Robert

Yes, you can open via the app, on the phone, or the keypad, or an actual key. The auto-detect is also part of the app, but you can toggle that on and off.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020