advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Advice on adopting cat(s)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 14, 2022 03:36PM
Now, I'm not quite ready yet after [forums.macresource.com] - but I know I will be in 2-3 months or so. My kids both immediately expressed interest in getting a new cat and I suspect they'd love a kitten. Its a little too quiet around here.

I'm leaning toward getting two kittens. My last cat was particularly sociable and for that reason I'd like to find similar circumstance (if possible!) - a mother that's friendly with humans and the kittens stay with the mother somewhere between 12-16 weeks. The mother was a stray that quickly warmed to humans. It seems that the adoption process rarely allows this sort of criteria...which I understand...but I'm also potentially making a ~20 year commitment here. By definition, the cats that are reproducing are less well cared for.

I don't have a strong opinion about looks as IMO they really don't matter compared to personality. My last kitty's personality (which I found extremely charming) sounds basically the same as whats described for Siamese cats - [en.wikipedia.org] - I'm not interested in getting a purebred but lets just say I have a curiosity about Siamese cats.

Anyway, its been a solid 18 years since I've been through this and last time I basically got lucky. Any advice?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Advice on adopting cat(s)
Posted by: jonny
Date: February 14, 2022 03:41PM
Cat's that've been fostered since birth are ideal. Feral kittens can have issues.
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 14, 2022 03:48PM
We have found that cats which were sociable at the pound, coming to the cage front, making eye contact, meowing, etc, were sociable at home.
Posted by: Michael
Date: February 14, 2022 04:01PM
You said you're considering 2 kittens. Sharon Crowell-Davis is a companion animal behavior vet at the Univ of GA vet school. She suggests that getting 2 kittens is better than 1 kitten. Some people think that cats are naturally solitary and do better by themselves. Dr. Crowell-Davis finds that while solitary cats can survive, feral cats tend to form social groups when there are sufficient food resources to support more than a single cat in a given area and that they do well in social groups.

Here's a listing of her various cat research publications: [pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Posted by: hal
Date: February 14, 2022 04:09PM
I agree with the two kitten thing... my solo cat is lonely. A friend of mine just buried the 2nd of two siblings that she got as kittens. They always had each other. They were a great pair of cats - a boy and a girl...
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 14, 2022 04:10PM
I would put in a vote for closer to 1 year old cats, thus already litter trained, less hyper, less likely to climb your curtains etc... Not quite as cute if that is a requirement, but still plenty of fun.
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 14, 2022 04:26PM
We adopted two litter mate female kittiens many years ago. BunBun and BooBoo.
When the were younger, they liked to be together a lot, but they grew apart as they got older.
Their personalities were not the same.
My good friend has two male litter mate kitties. They also have different personalities, but both are sweet boys.
We also had two litter mate female Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs, also very different personalities.
I think getting two can be good, but be prepared that just like human siblings, they may be very different.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2022 04:26PM by rgG.
Date: February 14, 2022 04:38PM
rgG
I think getting two can be good, but be prepared that just like human siblings, they may be very different.

Oh, I assume so, I see that as a benefit. (less chances of _only_ having a jerk cat!)
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 14, 2022 04:40PM
mattkime
rgG

Oh, I assume so, I see that as a benefit. (less chances of _only_ having a jerk cat!)

Lol. So true. Although, there is usually something to love in every kitty. grinning smiley

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: hal
Date: February 14, 2022 04:57PM
rgG
mattkime
rgG

Lol. So true. Although, there is usually something to love in every kitty. grinning smiley

haha! I use to tease a roommate that had a stuck-up female persian kitty. SHe didn't get along with my cat, didn't get along with me, didn't really get along with anyone but her mom. I used to think, how can you like that cat? Then I realize that my sweetie (who is 15) doesn't get along well with other cats or people and can be quite a bitch, but I love her to bits! It took me many years to see the similarity.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 14, 2022 05:11PM
I've always heard that getting two kittens is better for cats than getting one.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 14, 2022 05:29PM
Persians and Siamese typically bond to just one person, and are aloof to others. May not be what you want.

We had a half siamese that bonded to everyone, even frequent guests That is rare.

2 littermates, or an older bonded pair is a good idea.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: RecipeForDisaster
Date: February 14, 2022 05:34PM
We agreed to take a pregnant cat before she delivered(she continued to live in the antiques shop where we found her, and the guy took care of her until the kittens could be weaned), and chose one of her 4 kittens at 2 days old. If the others had had trouble getting homes, we would have taken more, I’m sure. It’s been wonderful… the mother was very neglected and needy, starving and outside when it was 0 degrees out. She was underage, too, at about 10 months. The cats are extremely happy to live together and play all the time, 11 years later. So that’s another alternative to 2 kittens, I wish our barn cat had had her kittens available - she had also had a litter, but we didn’t get to have any of them.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 14, 2022 05:35PM
I've like the attitude and personality of Siamese cats I've met, but, they almost all have the same "yowl" of a meow that drives me up the wall.
We had to board my (dear departed) buddy, Max, in a pet boarding business for a couple weeks for some travel (Our usual pet-sitter was out of town, too).
Well, the next "kitty apartment" [cage] over was a Siamese cat...
Two weeks later, we return, pick up Max, and take him home...
And, he was "ROWL-ing" JUST LIKE a SIAMESE... we found it funny, and obnoxious, at the same time...
He had "learned" the annoying "ROWL!"...
He finally dropped it again, after a few weeks of us not responding to it.
Don't say Cats can't learn languages! Max learned "Siamese"!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: davester
Date: February 14, 2022 06:07PM
I am also joining the "two kitten" choir. They (and you) will likely be much happier that way. Although not as social as dogs when grown, they will keep each other entertained for the first few years at least.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 14, 2022 06:32PM
Our rescue group and pretty much every group in NYC with which I’m familiar tries to place kittens in pairs. We also tend to have bonded pairs of adults to place. It tends to be best for all concerned if the kittens can work off a lot of their energy on each other.

There are some cats who really hate other cats, but most of them like having cat buddies.

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 14, 2022 06:56PM
We adopted our two siblings from a rescue group. If you ask around, you can probably find something similar.get
Posted by: Fritz
Date: February 14, 2022 07:04PM
round here, there are so many adoption places and furrbombs for adoption.
I think they all stretch the truth a bit.
Every cat we ever adopted, 5 that I can think of, and one stray, were all "around 4 yo" , except one kitten.
Bullony.

They've all been great. Look for personality at whatever age, as others have said.
Personality is not an outstretched paw with claws extended, trimmed or not. They can be trouble.
Two is good. Been a little afraid to add a brother to Owen, coz of other circumstances.

Make sure they have a comfortable keyboard and trackpad to rest on.

Owen thanks you in advance.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: wave rider
Date: February 14, 2022 07:50PM
Bonded pair, as others have said.

I have a sweet spot for black cats and ferals. Breaks my heart that, seemingly, black cats are the last to leave the shelter. Those little panthers…

=wr=
Date: February 14, 2022 08:05PM
I love black cats, and tuxedos. Tuxedos have a tendency to be pudgy just an FYI.

“A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand.” Seneca the Younger

The police have no duty to respond. See Castle Rock v. Gonzales, 545 U.S. 748 (2005) or Warren v. District of Columbia[1] (444 A.2d. 1, D.C. Ct. of Ap. 1981)

Judge Lee wrote that “we cannot jettison our constitutional rights, even if the goal behind a law is laudable." 9th Circuit Court of Appeals

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 15, 2022 09:14AM
How about three cheetahs guaranteed to snuggle?

[www.reddit.com]

The caption on that is a little misleading, as the video is actually an edited clip from Dolph Volker:

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: February 15, 2022 09:45AM
wave rider
Bonded pair, as others have said.

Add me to the choir on that, too.

wave rider
I have a sweet spot for black cats and ferals. Breaks my heart that, seemingly, black cats are the last to leave the shelter. Those little panthers…

Same here. I've heard that about black dogs as well and just don't get it.

Racer X
I love black cats, and tuxedos. Tuxedos have a tendency to be pudgy just an FYI.

I hadn't thought about that with Tuxedos before, but you're right. The father of my cat's kittens was a beautiful Tuxedo and both he and the two kittens that inherited his markings were remarkably bigger and heavier than the others. That litter of kittens was an experiment in genetics that would have made Mendel proud, but that's a subject for another day.

WARNING- If I posted a link in the above message, assume it is at minimum "NSFW- Language". Occasionally you'll be wrong.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes

What's my "Super Power"? I can make active threads go stone-dead with a single post. I try to use this power only for good and not for evil but, you know... stuff happens.
Date: February 15, 2022 10:51AM
Thrift Store Scott
Racer X

I hadn't thought about that with Tuxedos before, but you're right. The father of my cat's kittens was a beautiful Tuxedo and both he and the two kittens that inherited his markings were remarkably bigger and heavier than the others. That litter of kittens was an experiment in genetics that would have made Mendel proud, but that's a subject for another day.

My recently passed tuxedo was a slender long cat, medium size. Our other tux is seldom spoken about - he must have had a difficult kittenhood as he's not very trusting of people. He's a, um, very solid, large cat.

Date: February 15, 2022 04:02PM
Our vet told me about "sturdy" tuxedos being the norm.

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: raz
Date: February 15, 2022 08:52PM
Lizzie is a grey tuxedo (and I think there’s a bit of Siamese in her) but she’s a tiny thing.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Date: February 15, 2022 10:42PM
sure. My partner's mom's tuxedo was tiny too. But on the average, they are on the heavy for their dimensions size.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 102
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020