advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
keyboards (again)
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 17, 2022 04:41PM
After dealing with a malfunctioning "c" key for the past week (a b!tch when you're looking for anything.com), I decided to buy a fairly highly rated one from Amazon. It arrived today. It's okay, but because it's Window and Mac relatively friendly, the F13 through F19 keys that I had set up for macros are now Windows-friendly PrtScn, ScrLk, Pause, etc.

One of the other reasons I wanted a new keyboard was because my keys on my old keyboard were fading. I took this opportunity to get a keyboard with black keys and white characters, thinking it would help. But they're still kind of dull looking. At least this new one has backlit keys with three levels of brightness. Is there anything out there that's not quite as ridiculous as this?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: keyboards (again)
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 17, 2022 05:17PM
I never type ".com".

My apple AL keys have never faded. Matis knockoff... totally gone after a few months.

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: February 17, 2022 06:30PM
Yeah, it's the Matias' keys that have faded. The Apple keys are readable but the keyboard itself shat the bed a while back.
Date: February 17, 2022 06:43PM
And while I'm on the subject of dysfunctional aluminum keyboards, do you think it's worth posting a three-pack on ebay or even here on the For Sale & Free forum? I guess there's one way to find out.
Date: February 17, 2022 06:48PM
there are hundreds of used apple ALs on ebay. brand new in a box for $70... so might take some time.

what kind of condition are the in?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2022 06:50PM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 17, 2022 06:55PM
Wurm,

Depends on which Matias model and its age. They've long since resolved any issues with the lettering on the keys fading.

Robert
Date: February 17, 2022 07:25PM
Most recent Matias was in November of 2017 from B&H, so 4+ years old. I'll have to see what's specifically wrong with my others to see if they're really worth anything..

Now I'm wondering if I might want to just a buy a cheap more conventional type (non-aluminum, non-chicklet key) just to remember what they're like.
Date: February 17, 2022 07:34PM
brand new apple, $50. [www.ebay.com]

fwiw, my matias slim one -- other side is similar. wife is using it on her mini right now. k and i are are gone, since her name starts with a k and has 2 i's .

no one is mentioning a keyboard from 2005.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2022 07:36PM by jdc.
Date: February 17, 2022 07:49PM
You're making it tough, jdc. Thanks.
Date: February 17, 2022 08:54PM
wurm
You're making it tough, jdc. Thanks.

big grin smiley

In my book, nothing beats the apple AL. Never used the clear/black/white keyboards of the 2000s (had an extended II) and have yet to try a new "magic" one but -- the AL one on my desk is exactly 2 years old, and is as good as new, even with 60 hour weeks. Gave the last one to my oldest.

zero worn keys, no stuck ones, 100% reliable. prob just jinxed it =)

$50 is $20 less than I paid 2 years ago... and nice to see new ones are still out there...

Date: February 17, 2022 10:09PM
The "German version" thing is a little interesting. And the $13.00 shipping is a little factor. I have another cheaper Brand X one arriving tomorrow from Amazon, then I'll have a better idea where I stand. One of my f'ed up ones is a genuine Apple Aluminum. I'll have to investigate exactly what's wrong with it. It must be something major, since that's why I bought the Matias.
Date: February 17, 2022 11:23PM
oy, totally my bad, didnt see the "german" thing -- looks off.

this is where I got mine: [www.ebay.com]

although now I see it says "new condition" -- mine was 100% new.

Im due for a new mac, so will get the MM keyboard, will see.

I went looking for a space gray magic trackpad on a whim, didn't know they were discontiuned -- $300+ on ebay... yikes.

Date: February 19, 2022 12:04PM
Okay, these are now listed on the For Sale & Free forum.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 76
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020